Defiant Barney Bites Back
Defiant Barney Bites Back

RAYMOND VAN BARNEVELD has issued a defiant statement as he prepares to drop out of the world's top 32 following the Ladbrokes UK Open.

The Dutch star will retire at the end of 2019 and is battling to qualify for the remaining televised tournaments throughout his final year on the circuit.

A fourth round exit to Simon Stevenson in the UK Open on Friday night, coupled with the progression for Dimitri Van den Bergh, Nathan Aspinall and Cristo Reyes, means that Van Barneveld will drop out of the top 32 following the weekend.

That will increase the pressure for Van Barneveld to succeed in Players Championship and European Tour events throughout the remainder of 2019 if he is to make his farewell at the William Hill World Darts Championship.

"I knew that was coming," said Van Barneveld on Twitter. "People writing me off already and that's fine.

"This year would be a marathon not a sprint I knew that at the start. Was hoping for better results but if anyone thinks I am giving up already you better think again."

Van Barneveld also sits at the foot of the Premier League table following four weeks, and he added: "And YES it hurts losing every time but I am trying and I am fighting my own battles. One at a time.

"Didn’t play a lot of tournaments 2 years ago so getting some results in at pro tours or euro tours will get me back up hopefully but it will be small steps I realise that."

Van Barneveld's comments are backed up by him only having played in 33 ranked events during the past two years, with the likes of Van den Bergh (73) and Reyes (77) having played on a more frequent basis.

The UK Open is also set to see Alan Norris join Van Barneveld in dropping out of the top 32, having reached the semi-finals in Minehead two years ago only to lose out in the fourth round of this year's event.

https://www.pdc.tv/news/2019/03/02/defia...bites-back
Good luck with that then Barney. If serious it may be an idea to turn down any World Series invites you get so you can concentrate on the PC and ET events (although we all know you ain't going to turn down the free cash on offer for those are you!!). Hopefully the PDC see sense and also pick the World Cup pairings on the OOM standings as well given the finalists of that get entry into the Grand Slam.
I agree with that but if the WC is OOM would mean it could be klaasen
(03-03-2019, 10:29 AM)Calvinize Wrote: I agree with that but if the WC is OOM would mean it could be klaasen

2nd Dutch player in the OOM is Wattimena - Klaasen is 3rd, van de Pas 4th and Barney 5th
Wattimena definitly deserves a chance at the WCOD. But I think PDC will choose Barney
It's difficult to take someone seriously after years of similar claims. It's a pity really, but Barney is like football goalkeepers who refuse to accept that they don't have it anymore and end their careers making childish mistakes.
Proud user of Voks MMA 22g darts - for more info on them see Getagrip's review.
World Cup is OOM so its definitely Wattimena if all goes his way. Barney has the words but there isn't much bite left. If he is to end the way it would be, its gonna be like how Dennis Priestly ended as well, being knocked out first round in the Worlds.

The only thing stopping me from saying something awful about what he's going through is the fact that I empathise with what he's going through. I've battled depression and faced demons whilst playing and competing in the game, and worst still, that awful mantra in the head saying "I'm not good enough" rings through me at any given day, and causes me to perform at my worst whatever I do. I sincerely hope he can find back some hope inside and enjoy the remaining time he has before finally having all the time for his family and friends back home in The Hague.

I cannot thank him enough for being my inspiration to be a dart player, even my throw is modeled after him, that's how much he means to me. Sometimes when I see the news of his defeats and his personal issues, it makes me wonder how does he cope and survive, because if it was me, chances are, I may have given up long ago, or worse still, may have ended my own life, which I nearly did about 2 years ago. That's how much of an inspiration Raymond was to me.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
Current Dart in Use: Quantum Darts Paradox 17.5gm
(03-03-2019, 11:08 AM)LethalEagle Wrote: World Cup is OOM so its definitely Wattimena if all goes his way.

No it's not - the seedings are based on the pairings combined OOM ranking, but the actual pairings are picked by the PDC:

"2019 World Cup
Cut-off date: May 12 2019
Seeds: Top 8 ranked nations based on combined Order of Merit ranking (lowest total = highest seed)
Qualifying Players:
32 pairs representing different nations selected at the discretion of the PDC"

As it's at their discretion, unless either Wattimena or van de Pas win one or more ET or PC events before the cut off date then the PDC will just pick the headshaker irrespective of how he is playing.
(03-03-2019, 11:39 AM)mc1958 Wrote:
(03-03-2019, 11:08 AM)LethalEagle Wrote: World Cup is OOM so its definitely Wattimena if all goes his way.

No it's not - the seedings are based on the pairings combined OOM ranking, but the actual pairings are picked by the PDC:

"2019 World Cup
Cut-off date: May 12 2019
Seeds: Top 8 ranked nations based on combined Order of Merit ranking (lowest total = highest seed)
Qualifying Players:
32 pairs representing different nations selected at the discretion of the PDC"

As it's at their discretion, unless either Wattimena or van de Pas win one or more ET or PC events before the cut off date then the PDC will just pick the headshaker irrespective of how he is playing.
I see.

Forgive me for being wrong. He'll just be headshaking on the oche on the WCOD then. Like I'll be headshaking when I see my words go unnoticed.

Everyone will just accentuate the negative from the way his career ends. And its not point for me to say anymore towards you. Sometimes I wonder if things are better if I was successful in ending my life that time instead of continuing on.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
Current Dart in Use: Quantum Darts Paradox 17.5gm
As much as I like Barney to me this is more and more like an old dog - barking because biting is no more possible (have an aging doc myself so no no disrespect and no offense).
(03-03-2019, 10:39 AM)mc1958 Wrote:
(03-03-2019, 10:29 AM)Calvinize Wrote: I agree with that but if the WC is OOM would mean it could be klaasen

2nd Dutch player in the OOM is Wattimena - Klaasen is 3rd, van de Pas 4th and Barney 5th

Wattimena gone past him now because of the UK open performance then? Smile
No - Wattimena was second Dutch player on the list at the last update on the PDC site on 24th February - the UK Open has extended his lead over Klaasen and the other Dutch players though
Not seen much Eye Of the Tiger lately, seems to have very little charge in his batteries which is a great shame to finish such a brilliant career with a rapid descent from his best form. Maybe he should have already just walked away
p[Image: GEpKdcf.png] 
Current Board 
ONE80 Gladiator 3 with Corona Surround and Unicorn number ring
Darts
Modified Unicorn Striker with RD medium sparkle stems, hardcore  charcoal flights and Target titanium stem rings   

Playing 40 years on and off and still barely average                 

The sunset is over there >>>>> ride off to it
He's struggling a lot it's going to take a big change of fortunate lets see