Why so smooth?
Hi, can anyone tell me why so many darts seem to have a smooth area breaking up the grip? I am a rear gripper and it seems so many sets seem to have a little smooth section towards the rear before going back to the grip.

Is this to get the manufacturer or player name on? It just seems that so many darts that could suit multiple grips have this and limit their market.
Current Darts: 
Unicorn Kyle Manton 26g
Target Carrera C12 24g
Pentathlon TPD T1 25g
Pentathlon Darts Clearence 26g
Red Dragon Pegasus 26g
Harrows Rapide Knurled 26g
Target Vapor8 24g
Board: Blade 5 DC
180's: 16
Highest Finish: 157
Average: I wish i could even describe myself as average
Best Leg: 16 darts
Sometimes that edge of the smooth to a texture/groove section is a solid landmark for your fingers. you can perfectly place your fingertip on that exact edge - every single time - no need to look.

Oddly full barrel grips look to be one of the cheapest options at Red Dragon.

Maybe it is a styling choice to emulate the classic Eric Bristow design... Even if it is on a new dart, your mind will see that plain band, and be reminded of Eric's dominance.

The good thing is there are thousands of designs of darts so you should be able to pick the one you like. And I can see a lot of people will have started with a Bristow style dart and want to retain this mid rear smooth band in future darts?

Also - that plain band is "heavy" every groove they cut from a barrel takes mass away from the dart.

Sorry bit of a waffle from me there!
Ryk is currently using:-
 鈴木 未来  Jadeite 24g
::  L-Shaft Locked Slim 300 Emerald :: Metal Champagne Ring Aqua :: - L-Flight Dimple Solid Emerald  :: Winmau Blade 6 ::
usually its just used as an area of assurance so players can grip in the same sopt every time.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk
Thanks both, still annoys me
Current Darts: 
Unicorn Kyle Manton 26g
Target Carrera C12 24g
Pentathlon TPD T1 25g
Red Dragon Pegasus 26g
Target Vapor8 24g
Perhaps try to check for models with scallop sections at the rear if you're keen on scallops. Those that I can think of will be the Phil Taylor Phase 3 darts, or Winmau Simon Whitlock (or a cheaper Nodor model of that design.)
Current Dart in Use: Quantum Darts Paradox 17.5gm
Annoys me no end - I'm a middle gripper and there are so many nice darts that I can't throw because they stick a smooth part right in the middle of the barrel.
[Image: 5GPKrWp.png]

B: 19g   S: Tweenie   F: No.6   180s: 1/25
I've never owned a set of Bristow darts because of that smooth space.
I find the smooth sections on my MVG darts really help as I don’t like to grip there so i have to ensure I grip in the same place every time so that I am on the two ring grip sections
Darts: Modified 22g Legend Darts Eric Bristow Natural 
Shafts: Archers Vice Medium 
Flights: Mission Logo 100

[Image: op13lZ6.png]
(02-20-2019, 07:31 PM)Ujt4527 Wrote: Annoys me no end - I'm a middle gripper and there are so many nice darts that I can't throw because they stick a smooth part right in the middle of the barrel.

Snap!!!

Messes with my head and mentally it affects my game and grip.

That's why I bought some pixel Grip darts with the same grip from the front of the barrel to the back, doesn't matter where I grip anymore as long as it feels comfortable!!

Problem solved forever.
Darts:
Target Carrera C5 Pixel Grip (23g)
Target Pro Grip Black Short Shafts
Target Pro 100 Standard Black Flights
Target Storm Nano Grip Black 26mm Points

Setup:
Unicorn Eclipse HD2 Pro Edition Board
Unicorn Striker Black Surround
Target Corona Vision Light System

180's:
2020: 0
2019: 85
2018: 27

I think it's used as kind of a landmark, so people grip the same way every time. It doesn't really bother me, as long as there is good grip on the front of the dart. Also, I throw slower, and actually look where I'm placing my fingers before I throw.
If you know what I'm doing, don't tell me .... I find bliss in my confusion.
(03-01-2019, 01:29 AM)Borisbbadd Wrote: I think it's used as kind of a landmark, so people grip the same way every time. It doesn't really bother me, as long as there is good grip on the front of the dart. Also, I throw slower, and actually look where I'm placing my fingers before I throw.

I get that but it tends to be where i want to grip and i don't like to grip smooth. Different for different people i know. Interesting discussion
Current Darts: 
Unicorn Kyle Manton 26g
Target Carrera C12 24g
Pentathlon TPD T1 25g
Red Dragon Pegasus 26g
Target Vapor8 24g
(02-20-2019, 07:31 PM)jt4527 Wrote: Annoys me no end - I'm a middle gripper and there are so many nice darts that I can't throw because they stick a smooth part right in the middle of the barrel.

Ditto, middle gripper and I really like the mamba/delta grip but every set seems to have that same smooth bit right were I want to grip it!  I've actually just found a set with similarish grip that I'm going to try - McKicks Premium Silver
Bulls NL 501 pyramid grip 24g
L Style flights & stems
Unicorn Volute points