Crushed confidence.
For the first time in my darting career I feel lost... I felt like I was an inch tall after this weekend...I went to a big tournament on Saturday with my buddy... we both threw fantastic darts, we averaged a 4mpr as a team, and we got destroyed.. turns out we drew The #2 team in the tournament... we went to the loser bracket and got beat By the team that went on to double down and win it... I hate excuses bud I’d chalk it up to an unlucky draw. 

But even knowing this, I don’t feel like myself throwing, the usual burning fire to win is gone, and my confidence in my throw is gone.. It feels like work in practice, and I’m throwing way below my average. How to you get that fire back after a loss?
Darts: 21.5 gm monster cobra I no.5 soft tips
Flights: l-style Jelle klassen blackout 
Shafts: Silver/black supergrip carbons.
Favorite players: Simon Whitlock, Jelle klaasen
2019 180’s: 9/12
2019 Hat: 121/130
2019 highlights: finished game with a 6.45mpr in cricket and lost. 
Won my first tournament! (1/25/19)
“My biggest problem in life, is overcoming myself... but once I defeated myself, all that was left was peace”-Kevin Gates
Welcome to reality. You're not going to win every time you step to the oche, and getting beat by the second seed team is no disgrace. Take it as a learning experience, a tough one to swallow, but still a learning experience.

When you start getting beat by folks you should dominate is when you should start wondering what is going on, but even then, strange things do happen. You can't be "on" every time you step to the line to throw.
As they say "every dog has its day" you'll get them next time. Stiff upper lip and carry on! Smile
Quit darts ! No just kidding my friend. When I was playing every once and a while a blind squirrel would whip up on me a player that usually I would beat with ease IT HAPPENS RELAX! happens to the Pro's if that helps.
[Image: 2e2gdae.jpg]
It's too easy to overlook the fact that in a 32-team double elimination bracket, 31 walk away losers and 8 don't win a single round. Keep the chin up, put in the hard work, and things will get better. There's always another hill to climb.
Best advice I’ve been given, “you’re only as good as your next game”, remember this.

Forget what’s just happened, obviously you have to live in the moment directly after winning or losing, but the sooner you focus on what’s next, the better you’ll feel. I hope this makes sense, after a good win I don’t think that’s it, I’m not going to play again, I just look forward to my next competitive match, if I lose, which I often do as I’m playing people who are more consistent, I just look forward to playing again, the constant drive to improve and achieve is just there.
After a break of around 15 years out of competition I now play in a singles cash league, first season I finished 15th out of 16 players, second season 14th, third season 12th, fourth season 2nd, shocked a few on the way, more than paid for themselves my Daytona’s, I’m now in my fifth season and currently only in 7th.
So chin up, believe in what you’re doing and keep going, as RobJon says above, “every dog has its day”.
I think it's great you got to get involved in the tourney and at any rate, it was an experience many of us will know nothing about in our lives. Another match will come soon and it'll be a whole new experience
(02-12-2019, 10:45 PM)gumbo2176 Wrote: Welcome to reality. You're not going to win every time you step to the oche, and getting beat by the second seed team is no disgrace. Take it as a learning experience, a tough one to swallow, but still a learning experience.

When you start getting beat by folks you should dominate is when you should start wondering what is going on, but even then, strange things do happen. You can't be "on" every time you step to the line to throw.

(02-12-2019, 10:49 PM)RobJon Wrote: As they say "every dog has its day" you'll get them next time. Stiff upper lip and carry on! Smile

(02-12-2019, 11:21 PM)*Saber* Wrote: Quit darts ! No just kidding my friend. When I was playing every once and a while a blind squirrel would whip up on me a player that usually I would beat with ease IT HAPPENS RELAX! happens to the Pro's if that helps.

Thanks for the replies and insight! I appreciate it. I guess it’s a sign that I need to put more work in. I really hate to say it and I’m not trying to brag at all. I’m a very humble man, (I’m just trying to face the truth) but being one of the top players in my local area may have spoiled me in a way. I guess I’m just not used to playing guys that are on that next level. I guess I’ll just have to get on that level myself! Smile
Darts: 21.5 gm monster cobra I no.5 soft tips
Flights: l-style Jelle klassen blackout 
Shafts: Silver/black supergrip carbons.
Favorite players: Simon Whitlock, Jelle klaasen
2019 180’s: 9/12
2019 Hat: 121/130
2019 highlights: finished game with a 6.45mpr in cricket and lost. 
Won my first tournament! (1/25/19)
“My biggest problem in life, is overcoming myself... but once I defeated myself, all that was left was peace”-Kevin Gates
Losing a game or a match every now and then in leagues and tournaments happens. It’s part of the game and it happens to everybody. Nobody has a loss-free record. As Gumbo said, “Welcome to reality.” The trick is to not obsess about it, get over it and move on. If you don’t, you’ll drive yourself crazy, ruin your game and take all the enjoyment out of shooting.
(02-12-2019, 11:56 PM)Mac-attack99 Wrote: Thanks for the replies and insight! I appreciate it. I guess it’s a sign that I need to put more work in. I really hate to say it and I’m not trying to brag at all. I’m a very humble man, (I’m just trying to face the truth) but being one of the top players in my local area may have spoiled me in a way. I guess I’m just not used to playing guys that are on that next level. I guess I’ll just have to get on that level myself! Smile

That's the spirit Mac!  Getting roughed up against more advanced players can make you, or break you.  But only if you let it.  It's all up to you.

I know your primary game is Cricket, but let me share an '01 story from many, many years ago.  We had a guy in our Legion league who was a natural.  Maxes for fun, and always won the high start award with 170.  Who starts on bull?  Only guys that can, and think they're invincible.  And the guy really was unplayable for us mere mortals - definitely way over my head.   Then, or now, that's for sure!

Fast forward a few years.  Our local Legion sponsored him for the Canadian Nationals and off he went.  And got destroyed.  That was it for that guy, never played the game competitively again.  And know what?   Some of us knew he'd have problems.  Despite his virtuosity, many of us could see he had very limited counting skills.  If he'd played more local and provincial tournaments, he might've learned his craft and became a high level player.  But we'll never know because he took a short cut and it didn't work out.  And he couldn't stand getting beat up along the hard path he needed to take.

How do I know all this?  His old team captain plays in our small league of old cronies.  And I know the guy personally.

So take your losses as a learning experience, and allow them to make you better.

All the best my friend...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Instant confidence? Baloos 6 489 12-31-2018, 06:13 PM
Last Post: Mac-attack99
  Crisis of confidence JDUR25 6 494 08-16-2018, 02:50 AM
Last Post: Dorian
  Update:Need confidence for tomarrow Mac-attack99 0 271 03-11-2018, 04:07 AM
  Need confidence for tomarrow! Mac-attack99 9 724 03-10-2018, 07:42 PM
  Confidence Alec 6 12,823 06-18-2017, 10:53 PM