Kind of surprised by the effort to keep flights on the shaft
When I first got into darts 15 years ago I remember hearing advice that if the flights came off when one hit another it was less likely to be deflected. Obviously flights coming off in flight would be a disadvantage, but popping off at the final inch from the board rather than being deflected would be an advantage.

But recently getting back into darts it seems like manufactures are making a big deal out of reducing the likelihood of the flight coming off. Was the initial advice I heard wrong or overstated?
Hmm, I would say that it would be quite irritating when my flights pop off every time. I also find that it is unsettling when it happens a lot with my opponent, because you need to refocus / step back and it takes you out of your rhythm. That is why, when it happens to me, I always apologize to my opponent. There is however definitely an issue with the darts deflecting of flights. But you have the flexible shafts and rotating shafts that can take care of that problem. You can easily combine those with the technology to keep flights on the stems (like punched flights) to minimize deflection without having to pick up your flight every time.
I don't really have an issue with deflection. Ofcourse it happens every now and then, but I see it as a stroke of bad luck, just like a bounce out.
Essential startup gear would be a flight punch and titanium rings. I have flights pop off maybe once or twice a month now with this setup.
(02-12-2019, 02:58 PM)codo180 Wrote: Essential startup gear would be a flight punch and titanium rings. I have flights pop off maybe once or twice a month now with this setup.
Ditto on the flight punch. I just got it and it finally is my saviour from my flight problem. I've tried many things, from Robsons, to L-Styles, but I was always a traditional flight type. The puncher was long awaited.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
Current Dart in Use: Quantum Darts Paradox 17.5gm
I tried the punch and both springs then titanium rings but didn't like it, yes the flight stays on but I was getting loads of Robin Hoods with the point getting caught in the ring. Switched to L Style with metal champagne caps which has sorted the problem.
Monster Helios 3 22g
One80 Vice stems
Black shape L Style flights 
Gold champagne caps 
Cosmo spinners work for me. If they pop off it's usually at the board and deflections are nill minus that flight in the way.
(02-12-2019, 03:35 PM)Chappers Wrote: I tried the punch and both springs then titanium rings but didn't like it, yes the flight stays on but I was getting loads of Robin Hoods with the point getting caught in the ring. Switched to L Style with metal champagne caps which has sorted the problem.

How do you feel that tiny extra bit of weight makes a difference over the standard plastic caps?
B: 22g   S: Short   F: Shape   180s: 4/25
I punch my flights and use the titanium rings on regular poly stems and rarely. if ever, lose a flight.  I also don't have a lot of deflections.  I use the more tapered Harrows Marathon type flights which, I imagine you know, have a slightly more narrow profile.  That might help, as well.  I mean, I still have deflections now and again but no more than I would expect or at least, not to the point I would call them problematic.
- Red

Current Favorite:
Unicorn James Wade Phase 1 (20g)---Short Nylon/Poly Shafts---Marathon/No.6 Shape Flights  

Board:
Winmau Blade 5
I hate my flights coming off as with my eyes it’s a real chore refitting them, I use a punch and titanium rings. Not many robin hoods as my grouping is not so good these days LOL
[Image: GEpKdcf.png] 
Current Board 
Gladiator 2 with Corona Surround and Unicorn number ring
Darts
20 gram Darts Clearance, Harrows super grip fusion stems, Rapide flights with Target titanium stem rings   

Playing 40 years on and off and still barely average                 

Cosmo's,Cosmos Lol

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What kind of grip would you say I have? Elusive Dream 5 124 09-12-2019, 11:53 AM
Last Post: Elusive Dream
  Playing without any effort or quit Troll 8 357 02-18-2019, 11:20 PM
Last Post: hamo
  Hey lads, could anyone tell me what kind of barrel this is called? Gunnersaurus 10 818 07-05-2017, 01:54 PM
Last Post: Chappers