Equipment upgrade
I'm getting a new board tomorrow and i want new darts soon. I have a few sets of brass (18g, 21g, 23g) that i have tried different stems and flights on. I prefer the 18g. The heavier darts fishtail and i haven't been able to get them to stop no matter what i do. So, do i stay with 18g in tungsten darts?
I use a rear grip. .. anything brand in particular you favor?
Also consider dimensions, tungsten darts are thinner for the same weight. Go with something inexpensive till you find what you like.
Levonster  Out! 
Lot's of discussion to be found on this subject.  Try these threads as a starting point:

https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...?tid=20089
https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...?tid=35690

If you want to see more threads, paste this in Google search:

site:dartsnutz.net darts for rear gripper

cheers...
If there are any dart shops around where you are, maybe you can try out some darts and get a good idea of what works best for you.
If you know what I'm doing, don't tell me ..... I find bliss in my confusion.   

Just wondering, could the dart wiggle (fishtailing), be caused by an uneven release? Say, your fingers lose contact before your thumb (or the other way around)?? I do understand, that not gripping the dart correctly, as it concerns its center of gravity can cause this, but the more I throw, I’m learning your release has something to do with it as well.
[Image: un8EQyk.jpg]

Steel-Tip Darts:  Bottelsen Precision Grip Hammerheads (23 Gram)
                         L-Style Carbon Shafts (190)
                         L-Style Flights, Blue, Standard 

Soft-Tip Darts:  Bottelsen Precision Grip (20 Gram)
                        L-Style Flights, Black, Standard
I hold and release them the same as i do the 18's. I've also tried different grip, stance, flights, shafts. Idk what the problem is. Since I'm prolly never going to London i may just stick with light brass
(02-13-2019, 06:07 AM)Sputnam Wrote: I hold and release them the same as i do the 18's. I've also tried different grip, stance, flights, shafts. Idk what the problem is. Since I'm prolly never going to London i may just stick with light brass

The way a person throws a lighter dart (18 grams) vs. a heavier dart (23 grams), is automatically different, though it might be ever so slight...it’s still different.  And, here’s why...

A lighter dart requires a faster release velocity to get to the bullseye than a heavier dart, therefore, requiring a faster arm/wrist speed to achieve the needed velocity.

I have a set of 18 gram Hammerheads, that if I throw several games, my elbow feels like it’s being ripped apart, due to the required snap to get them to the board accurately. I throw a 24 gram dart very comfortably, and just as, if not more accurately than the 18’s...I don’t have to put as much snap behind them.
[Image: un8EQyk.jpg]

Steel-Tip Darts:  Bottelsen Precision Grip Hammerheads (23 Gram)
                         L-Style Flights, Blue, Standard 

Soft-Tip Darts:  Bottelsen Precision Grip (20 Gram)
                        L-Style Flights, Black, Standard
(02-13-2019, 11:57 AM)longgunshooterzero Wrote:
(02-13-2019, 06:07 AM)Sputnam Wrote: I hold and release them the same as i do the 18's. I've also tried different grip, stance, flights, shafts. Idk what the problem is. Since I'm prolly never going to London i may just stick with light brass

The way a person throws a lighter dart (18 grams) vs. a heavier dart (23 grams), is automatically different, though it might be ever so slight...it’s still different.  And, here’s why...

A lighter dart requires a faster release velocity to get to the bullseye than a heavier dart, therefore, requiring a faster arm/wrist speed to achieve the needed velocity.

I have a set of 18 gram Hammerheads, that if I throw several games, my elbow feels like it’s being ripped apart, due to the required snap to get them to the board accurately.  I throw a 24 gram dart very comfortably, and just as, if not more accurately than the 18’s...I don’t have to put as much snap behind them.

Well thanks for putting a light on for me, I've been throwing 19 gram darts forever and have also been suffering from lateral epicondylitis for well over a year, after a long night of darts the pain made it hard to sleep. Recently I started playing with a much heavier dart (25 grams) and although I still get sore it's not the same sharp pain, thanks Doc!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  When to change equipment Elusive Dream 13 340 09-05-2019, 02:48 AM
Last Post: nixer55
  Just getting into darting and have equipment questions Sputnam 15 1,126 06-16-2019, 11:44 PM
Last Post: x-ring
  helping developing my dart grip and equipment Honziz 14 615 03-04-2019, 04:41 PM
Last Post: Baloos
  With this equipment, what would you set up? CalixNL 13 1,063 12-07-2018, 11:14 PM
Last Post: Doctor Bones