Hitting high versus low?
What do you change to go from hitting the double 20 to hitting the double 3 and vice versa? Do you change your release point? Do you position your elbow higher or lower?
I'm quite tall, so I actually crouch down a bit lol
I kind of lean forward a little bit. But I don't guess I think too much about it. Maybe I ought to?
I line up all my shots with my arm out stretched and the top of my flight in line with the target and my eye. Then I just draw back and throw.
Not sure if this locks my elbow at the best elevation angle but it feels like the same throwing action to me - The obvious trick is to look exactly where you want the dart to land.
Ryk is currently using:-
 鈴木 未来  Jadeite 24g
::  L-Shaft Locked Slim 300 Emerald :: Metal Champagne Ring Aqua :: - L-Flight Dimple Solid Emerald  :: Winmau Blade 6 ::
Maintain your aiming arm, that same set up you do but when you do a different target, shift your stance or posture, but keep your aim always straight.

This high vs low thing was the basis of a training game I made for myself on the soft tip board. I call it Opposites or HiLo. Example of a round goes like this, first dart hits single 20, the next dart should then go to single 3, and last dart is a bull. I go again this time for their doubles and then trebles. If anytime I miss, I start the pattern again. It goes on for the rest of the numbers, like 1 and 19, 6 & 11 etc. It's a game where I must adapt to new directions, and also make my shots count.
Current Dart in Use: Quantum Darts Paradox 17.5gm
I used to do this same routine and it took me all day. LOL Was a good one though
Slight bend from your torso IMO is best and it's just a slight adjustment too.
I raise my elbow up and down and then it always seems to get in my head that I hate the 18 so ill end up missing those in cricket.
I bend forward a little bit.
If you know what I'm doing, don't tell me .... I find bliss in my confusion.
I bend forward just a tiny bit and slightly lower my elbow.
Darts:
Target Carrera C5 Pixel Grip (23g)
Target Pro Grip Black Short Shafts
Target Pro 100 Standard Black Flights
Target Storm Nano Grip Black 26mm Points

Setup:
Unicorn Eclipse HD2 Pro Edition Board
Unicorn Striker Black Surround
Target Corona Vision Light System

180's:
2020: 0
2019: 85
2018: 27

If you feel comfortable with your throw and stance, maybe look at changing the weight.
Just watched this, courtesy of Chris the fish

TOPS AND TOES

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IKAKAvwQ6q...fullscreen

Don’t drop your elbow,

Lean your down/ forward with your torso @ and keep your arm, straight As usual. Allowing you to aim down without adjusting throwing arm! Torso straighten up / lean back for tops, lean forward /down for botttoms. Works for this guy!!!
i think I have it mentally in my head that I'm better at the bottom outs than the tops and I think that messes with me.
Target Daytona Fire GT10 18g Soft Tip Darts
Ton80 Count-7
Started playing 9/15/18
I don't think there is a right or wrong. My arm and release is probably slightly different at aiming high vs low.
Over time and with practise, your brain will figure out what adjustments it needs to make. You do need to practise on the lower half of the board too.
I normally warm up on D20, D3, D11, D6 and Bull. This gets my ranges dialled in.
Then a few mins of A1 from S15 to S20 just to make sure I am grouping reasonably well.
But as I say, your brain will figure out how and will naturally do its best for you.
When you overthink throws and release points etc, it all goes to pot.
When going for the double 3 I always hit high. So I started backing up about 2 inches from the oche and throwing normal and it seems to work great. Haven't hand a chance to try it in competition so the true test hasn't been done yet. As far as the lower numbers...7,19,17 and 2 I found leaning forward and down a little works great. Why those and the 3 are different in my mind I have no idea but my mind is a terrible place and I won't go there...lol

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My first A1 / Help on throwing high vs low Kenneth 11 1,998 03-04-2018, 03:06 PM
Last Post: Kenneth
  Hitting your shoulder with the flight Cs_89 9 1,276 01-04-2018, 10:21 PM
Last Post: SpoonyG
  Hitting too far left and righ conanthewarrior 34 11,246 05-26-2015, 08:34 PM
Last Post: conanthewarrior
  Helping someone with their aim/hitting the board. conanthewarrior 21 5,609 05-02-2015, 09:59 PM
Last Post: conanthewarrior