MvG - NU Sport interview
This is the link https://www.nu.nl/darts/5723712/van-gerw...oemen.html

This is what Google translate did  Blush

Michael van Gerwen regrets that occasionally he is accused of arrogance. The Brabant number one in the world and reigning world champion is of the opinion that he does not deserve it.
"It is true that only Dutch people call me arrogant: in England, Germany, Australia or any other country I hardly hear anyone about it", says Van Gerwen in conversation with NUsport.
"That stings me occasionally, there's no need to call me that, everybody who knows me a little bit knows that it's unjust, they know I'm not like that and I'm just a normal guy. have some talk, but that is also part of it. "

Van Gerwen regularly receives criticism in the Netherlands, because he would speak condescendingly about his opponents by frequently shouting that he is the best darter in the world and nobody can beat him.
"I'm just self-assured, I want to profile myself in the run-up to the races, I'll never talk to myself in an underdog position and say that we're going to see what's going on today." I do not think that's fair. power go out, otherwise you can not perform. "
"I do not see it at all when my opponent pulls down, but if they do not play well, that should be said, then I will not go around and cuddle all kinds of excuses, and bad is bad."

'If someone has self-reflection, then I am'

Van Gerwen thinks that other players can take an example in that respect. He does not go into names, but for example recently announced that he was bothered by Gary Anderson complaining about his back injury, which cost him the Premier League of Darts.

"If someone has self-reflection, then I am, if I play badly, I say I threw like a wet newspaper and could have stayed at home better, no one else would, they all said they were not feeling well. or whether it was on the stage or the light, you can not hear that coming out of my mouth. "

"It's just a shame, I do so much for my country, but it's okay, my game does not suffer, I just keep doing my own thing, but I do think: go and stand behind your own people. I'm always looking after the Dutchman, that's the way it should be.

Van Gerwen has dominated the sport for years. He has so far captured 134 official titles, including 3 world titles, and thus stands behind Phil Taylor (221) in second place in the eternal ranking of players with the most tournament wins.
'Mighty Mike' wrote last weekend in Milton Keynes for the fifth consecutive time The Masters to his name. He defeated Jonny Clayton, Mensur Suljovic, Dave Chisnall and James Wade in the first major of the year, where the top sixteen of the world rankings can participate.
Proud user of Voks MMA 22g darts - for more info on them see Getagrip's review.
I understand the ideas in general, but if our Dutch Nutz could verify the translation it would be great.

I found "I threw like a wet newspaper" quite amusing, is it in the Dutch slang or is it a "creative" translation?
If your good your good so nothing wrong with a little boasting, I guess its just down to the individuals personality. But I think everyone has there own perceived line of when its gone too far which is the issue that cant be helped and why some will be fine with it and others hate it. I loved to hear Muhammed Ali when he did his boasting because it was fun but others would hate him for it so whatever such people do they are never going to please everyone.
If you are a guest browsing this forum, why not join up, we're a friendly bunch here and love to welcome new membersSmile Click HERE to join

Subscribe to my Darts Review Channel on Youtube: CLICK HERE

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

[Image: 87L1RR5.png]
Translation is alright, you can get the grasp of most of it but I would change this
"I'm just self-assured, I want to profile myself in the run-up to the races, I'll never talk to myself in an underdog position and say that we're going to see what's going on today." I do not think that's fair. power go out, otherwise you can not perform. "
"I do not see it at all when my opponent pulls down, but if they do not play well, that should be said, then I will not go around and cuddle all kinds of excuses, and bad is bad."
to this:
"I'm just very confident. I want to put myself in the best light possible leading up to a match. I would never put myself in an underdog position and say that "I'll see how the game goes". I don't think that's fair, you have to believe in your own ability, else you will never perform."
"I don't see it as talking down on my opponents, if they didn't play well you should be allowed to say something about it. I won't be praising their performance, a bad game is a bad game."

Natte krant is slang, it just means rubbish. The second part of the translation is a bit odd, self-reflection is better translated to self-criticism.

"If anyone has self criticism it has to be me. If I had a poor game I'll tell you so, I would say I threw like rubbish and should have stayed home. Nobody else would do that, they'll say they weren't feeling 100% or blame the lights or stage, I never would say anything like that."

"I'm always looking after the Dutchman, that's the way it should be." is better translated to:
"When I'm watching other sports I am always cheering for the Dutch, that's the way it should be."
Could it be that English is not MVG first language & it possibly looses or gets corupted in translation all though his command of English is good It also could be a Dutch thing I was a spanner man for several years to a couple of Belgian Pro cycling teams & Dutch riders in genral in the team always seemed more "Full of themselves " I think that his attitude of sort rubbishing his opponents" he may be better served saying I think on past games that I can beat him today
Some time ago he said that his straightforward style is also a cultural trait for Dutch people, so I'm kind of confused by this statement that Dutch find him arrogant.

I'm not a fan, but I understand his point of view. As long as you have no problem admitting that you were not good enough on a given day, finding no excuses, it seems logical to be able to say that you were the better man when things go your way.
(02-06-2019, 02:00 PM)MMA Wrote: I understand the ideas in general, but if our Dutch Nutz could verify the translation it would be great.

I found "I threw like a wet newspaper" quite amusing, is it in the Dutch slang or is it a "creative" translation?

I think I will be using that phrase more often Smile

I've been throwing like a wet newspaper all morning Lol
B: 25g   S: Medium   F: Standard   180s: 5/25
(02-06-2019, 02:52 PM)MMA Wrote: Some time ago he said that his straightforward style is also a cultural trait for Dutch people, so I'm kind of confused by this statement that Dutch find him arrogant.
It's true that we are more straightforward than most other nationalities, but there is a boundary you can cross. For example, I think that we Dutch say certain 'sensitive' things more easily, like "you should train harder" or "people should stop making excuses". I personally don't have a problem with mvg saying that he is the best, because he is nr 1 for some time now, but I do find it arrogant to say that you will win all remaining tournaments. I just think that is disrespectful which makes you more arrogant.
Doesn't this have to do more with mind games rather than arrogance? Some will feel not good enough to beat him, others will push themselves harder to beat him, thus having more pressure on their shoulders.

I see it more like a challenge, "come and get me if you have the game to do it". And he's challenging himself also, because by putting a target on his back he needs to bring his top game every single time.

As I've said before, I am not a fan, but I respect his dedication. Imagine if Gary Anderson would have at least 50% of that, on top of his natural talent.
You are right that he is playing mind games, but he also strongly believes his own mind games. That tipped the scales towards arrogance Imo. Especially combined with the celebrations on stage. Then again, I do admire the way he constantly is painting a bullseye on his back. It brings a lot of pressure, which seems to work out for him. And it's a joy to watch him play when.he is on fire. Although not so much when he is playing Mervyn King. Big King supporter here lol