Hello from Minnesota!
Hey everyone,

New dart player here. Me and the GF started playing in the local pubs using the house soft tips. We quickly realized we liked it, but, found it hard to consistent with the ‘bar darts’ provided at the Different bars we frequent. So, we decided to invest in a $10 set each. Brass soft tips. Those were fine for a few weeks but then we got the Tungsten bug. So, we each got a decent $50 set... which then lead to me buying another, and another... and a few more sets.... and flights, shafts, tips... when I find a hobby or new interest... I don’t half ass it. I dive deep. Watch YouTube videos. Join and Read forums. Etc. 

So, we also joined a local ‘beginner’ soft tip league. It’s a doubles, cricket and 501 league that is played remotely using the Arachnid G3 machines internet or ‘remote’ league play features.... so basically we are playing opponents we can only see, not hear, on a little video screen. It’s cool. But, we wanted the comradeship of playing people in person. So, we joined another league. This one is also a doubles (partners) league but is played in person at a local Billiards hall that has 10 boards, so there’s 15 tea,s there playing every Thursday. We just finished week 2 of that new league and we like it a lot better for a variety of reasons. 

We have also recently started to play steel tips. We have 2 local spots that have bristle boards setup and we invested in 4 sets of nice higher end steel tip darts. A few Harrows, a Bottelsen and a Viper set. I’d have to say the Bottelsen Great Whites are my favorite so far! 

I have to say... I wasn’t sure about switching to a smaller board when going from soft to steel. But, it’s a lot of fun. I am now looking in to joining a steel tip league. There is something satisfying about the quiet thump sound the steel tip makes and the peaceful lack of arcade noises we were used to with the soft tip machines! 

I am also doing research and in the market for a steel tip bristle board, surround and light so I can start playing webcam darts! 

In fact I am really looking forward to playing people online. I can’t go to the bar every night, it gets expensive, and I’d love to be able to play people in other states, countries, etc... 

This brings me to the Granboard. I am also considering purchasing one of these. I think hardware-wise the new Target Nexus machine looks far superior but from what I’ve been able to read there aren’t many people online due to its newness and price point. So, I’ll probably pull the trigger on the granboard and if the Nexus takes off (I hope it does) I will buy one of those too!

Did I mention I go deep into hobbies... oh well, this is much cheaper than woodworking or motorcycles

Oh, I’m also looking to try molded plastic flights. I think I’ll order the L style and the Robsons to start with unless anyone else has another suggestion? I don’t want them to spin.... I tried the dynastars and wasn’t a fan... they bent immediately and the wobbly feeling of the flight moving when aiming and throwing really bugs me 

Anyway... that’s my long winded hello.
Welcome to the forum, lots of info take a look around
Welcome to the forum!  You have the Darts bug alright, so you're in the right place!  Detailed intro, so let's get straight to it with some short cuts to help you along.

Dartboard reviews:

https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=77

Dartboard discussion:

https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=71

Soft tip discussion:

https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=64

For lights and other accessories:

https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=75

You should also get used to searching the forum.  Here's a link to the Forum Guide Index, which includes a tutorial on searching:

https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...?tid=33726

That should get you started!

cheers
Welcome Jim.
[Image: uBd7OCT.png]
(02-05-2019, 10:44 PM)Jimithing616 Wrote: Oh, I’m also looking to try molded plastic flights. I think I’ll order the L style and the Robsons to start with unless anyone else has another suggestion? I don’t want them to spin.... I tried the dynastars and wasn’t a fan... they bent immediately and the wobbly feeling of the flight moving when aiming and throwing really bugs me 

Anyway... that’s my long winded hello.

Cosmo! If you don't like the wobble, get the locked stems. Cosmo works better because if your flight does fall off, there's no thought in putting it back on.
(Open disclaimer, I work for Cosmo). Any questions you have about Cosmo I can answer in great detail.

Welcome to the boards!
Welcome man looks like "Nixer55" got you dialed in with your requesting some info for your new sport.

I say you have to have the right gear to get serious. Quite a few of us have to agree with the thud of the steelies versus the bells and whistles of the softies.
Hi Jimi and welcome aboard Smile
Welcome to the forum and may the darts be with you and
Welcome to the forums Jimi!!!
Welcome Jim..... yep you obviously do dive deep and I can’t blame you as we all love the darts!!!!
Best of luck with you league adventures both soft and now steel tip and welcome to the forum and obviously enjoy your darts

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hi from Minnesota Stormdoor 24 2,178 03-28-2017, 07:37 AM
Last Post: Rodney
  Hello from Minnesota Petey2424 15 2,311 04-03-2015, 11:54 AM
Last Post: ChrisTheFish
  New from minnesota joe wright 9 1,809 03-05-2015, 01:14 PM
Last Post: Titan
  Newb from Minnesota AbnormallyWeird 23 4,375 11-24-2014, 07:30 AM
Last Post: Rodney
  New from Minnesota nelson22 7 1,382 12-30-2013, 05:18 AM
Last Post: georgetay