Can't settle on a throw
Hi all, new to this forum but really enjoy reading everyone input on different subjects.

I am in my third season playing for a pub team, I really enjoy playing competitive darts and look forward to it every week. However I analyse everything and constantly changing things about my throw to try and become better and more consistent, but I can never settle on a way to throw.

For example, I am right handed but left eye dominant, I constantly struggle with where I should stand and the best way to aim and throw because of this. 

I also keep changing where I start the whole process, in terms of if I want the dart close to my face, or further away, I still can't make up my mind where to draw the dart back to either, to the cheek, shoulder, under the jaw, no matter what I don't seem to be able to b3come more constantant for very long, so I change to try and find the right combination.

And also with my elbow alignment, trying to keep it dead straight causes my arm to ache after throwing for a while, yet too far or relaxed and I feel it is not aligned properly as to throw straight it should be straight if that makes sense? 

Any advice on any of this would be much appreciated as it does make darts less enjoyable constantly thinking about the different aspects of my throw.

Thanks
(01-29-2019, 02:00 PM)Danny Giles Wrote: For example, I am right handed but left eye dominant, I constantly struggle with where I should stand and the best way to aim and throw because of this. 

I also keep changing where I start the whole process, in terms of if I want the dart close to my face, or further away, I still can't make up my mind where to draw the dart back to either, to the cheek, shoulder, under the jaw, no matter what I don't seem to be able to b3come more constantant for very long, so I change to try and find the right combination.

Theese two paragraphs sums up my life perfectly!

I will follow this thread with great interest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
First, welcome to the forum.  

Your throw is so individual that universal answers are highly unlikely.  Of all the various mechanics involved, only a few can be characterized as "must haves" IMO.  If it hurts, that's bad.  You need a solid stance or base.  You should follow through.  That's most of my short list.

Here's a few recent threads on the subject.  Lots more if you want to dig via search:

https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...?tid=28527
https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...?tid=26790
https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...?tid=31886

Good luck!
Very much appreciated thank you
Well sir....you just described me and probably a boatload of others. Here's my thoughts on this and I'm probably more wrong than right but that's the way MY thoughts usually go.....anyway ( when I use the word "you", it means all of us in this situation)....I think your talent has brought you this far. You've worked hard and got to this point. Basically you have the ability to throw decent darts no matter what style you choose and probably with any dart you like. Now is when the work begins...you have to pick a style and stick to it, honing it to the level you want to be at.Some days/games will be awesome...others...not so much but you will get there if you put the work in.
 I didn't mean to offend anyone nor imply anything by the above....just trying to make sense...if that's possible with my aging brain....lol
Shoot well and luck!!!
Thank you
Danny , the only advice I can offer is find a stance and throwing style / technique that is natural and comfortable for you , something repeatable , that doesn't involve contorting yourself and causing discomfort.
I'm old , with many broken bones and encroaching arthritis , so I use a style / technique that is comfortable and easily repeatable for me.
As for throwing technique , see what comes easiest to you , stick with it , and eventually your darts will (mostly ) go where you're looking at the board.
hi Danny,thinking about the aspects of your throw however unenjoyable will help you to find your throw
darts afterall is a work in progress.
clearly you've been playing for a while. if you find something comfortable persevere even through the results may not be great to start
consistecy is the key good luck
DARTS-Phase 5 purist/ Power 9fives 26g/ Unicorn RvB 25g
SHAFTS-Target Power shaft gen 1 (intermediate) 
FLIGHTS-The ones' on my signature
BOARD-Winmau blade 5 dual core
BOARD-Winmau Diamond (for practice)
BOARD-unicorn eclipse HD trainer board (for a laugh)
SET UP-Wall mounted cabinet
HA'WAY THE TOON  Smile
Newcastle United Premier League survivors 2018-19 season
[Image: ZL8JXbT.png]
in regards to the original posters title on the thread...
I have been having recent trouble here.

I spent the better part of a month now , learning to throw darts while aiming through the dart and focusing with the dart in front of my face. I had been doing it with success for the first while , it was unnatural for a bit but Now it’s second nature to hold the dart up, let my eyes focus into one vision and draw back and push forward ......for the last week or so though I was not happy with what id been throwing, and I changed my dart set up two ,one straight barrel and one front loaded..So i assume my error was playing with two different style darts.

However I just discovered tonight, out of curiosity, that I would try throwing my darts like when I did  when I started the very first time. I would just throw relying on my hand eye coordination, not lining anything up, and throwing from to the right of my head by my temple.....I was throwing the darts effortlessly into the 20 bed, quickly with rythm......I can tell there isn’t as much control as when I had been focusing and aiming in the past....but it’s required a lot of effort.....I’m now torn between the two....perhaps I will have to find a way to incorporate the two throws....but I was just blown away because for the  last few nights practicing while aiming and taking my time I was all over the board ( I had changed a few bits on my darts ) and then out of no where I can just chuck the darts from over my head grouping in and around the treble bed .....
These guys I aimed but after about an hour of throwing, I was happy to hit a 140  , that’s how long it’s taking me Tom warm up, and by then I’m  drained, I think I may try my next session with just chucking the darts using my hand eye coordination and less sightline .

[Image: Txi9j8Z.jpg]
Finding that place between not over thinking, but not perpetuating bad habits, is a tough balancing act for me personally.  I've yet to find it really, but overall my consistency has improved. So I know there's some light at the end of the tunnel.  I still throw best when in a rhythm, with little conscious thought.  But think that balance is so unique to each of us, we need to find it on our own.

You may be on the edge of something here, so don't analyze it too hard.  If it works, just go with it.  You may find all the work on technique you've invested will come out without having to force it.  Or as you say, incorporating the two. Wink

Good luck Calix...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can't settle on a weight. conanthewarrior 54 11,499 03-14-2015, 12:19 AM
Last Post: conanthewarrior