McCoy Marksman 90 style A 24g - quick review
Edited: Replaced attachments with linked images.

First ever dart review, I hope somebody can get something out of it..!
Darren, I'm unashamedly stealing ideas from you. Thanks for the template! Wink

McCoy Marksman 90 style A 24g

[Image: tTNKCDp.jpg]

Brand: McCoy (If I'm not mistaken, this is from the Nodor 28xx series)
Model: Marksman 90 style A
Weight: 24g
Tungsten: 90%
Profile: Bomb
Finish: Steel barrel, black point

Available weights: 22g, 24g, 26g
Different weights have different lengths, max. diameter is the same.

Price: £17.95 (€20.36, US$23.14 at review time) from Pure Darts
Note that the dart is slightly different from the one shown on their site. The one I got is a little shorter and has "cut off" razor grip at the back.

Box and contents:
The darts come in a standard black slim case, together with black 48mm nylon stems and red, sparkly flake type standard flights. No further packaging, which I think is quite alright.

Dimensions:
Barrel length: 38.55 mm
Point length: 26mm
Barrel width (max.): 7.96mm

Individual weights: 23.88g - 23.83g - 23.82g
Centre of gravity without stem/flight: 17.7mm from front

This is a very nice dart.
The double ring centre section provides plenty of grip, actually more than I had expected. I do like a very grippy dart, and this one is much grippier than a standard micro shark like this or this. It's even grippier than my custom dart from Grays which has a shark grip 1.6mm long and 0.4mm deep.
I would have liked the grip section to extend in both directions but it does work for me since I don't have very wide fingers.
It's my first dart in this shape and with this kind of double ring grip. What I find noteworthy (and remarkable) is that there is so much grip without a feeling of "bite" which would let you worry that the dart might stick to your fingers at release.

I don't use the supplied setup but stems and flights from Cosmo, either a size 6 slim plastic with W-shape AIR flight, or a size 3 standard plastic with a "thick" F-shape. With these setups (and my kind of throw) the dart is very stable during flight and tends to land slightly tail up. I may try a size 6 hybrid at some point in order to get it closer to 90 degrees. The rear is drilled out 10mm.

Due to the barrel being so short, there is not much difference between gripping at the front or the rear, provided that you keep your fingers on the barrel. With a straight barrel I am usually a front gripper, but with this one, middle grip (fingers on the centre section) works just fine.
With this middle grip position, the dart is very nicely balanced (which is probably also helped by the Cosmo setup being so light). I'm sure I could throw it as well or even slightly better from the front, if only the grip section extended over the rounded/tapered nose.

I need to comment on the points. They are insanely sharp! So much so, that I had to dull them down. If you hold the dart sitting down and drop it, it will easily penetrate your thigh. Or other things in that general area...
In this respect they don't go well together with my Blade 5 which is really soft. I don't have a powerful throw but the dart will go into the board up to a third of the length of the nose(!). I use point cones to protect my flights but that doesn't help with penetration depth. Also, the cones have a short life, being sliced up by the blades of the board.

Overall, I would say that this is a very good allround dart, easy to control and throw, and it is machined very well. Factor in the price, and it will probably be hard to find a "better" one. For comparison, a Unicorn Phase 5 is nearly three times as expensive. I can't help but wonder, for what?

[Image: 5vx65C6.jpg]

[Image: KLtJyJ7.jpg]
Currently throwing: Condor Trinidad K "Ivan", Target/Shot! conversion points
Skill level: Truly terrible
Well done!

Great review for your first time Smile
Now those are some Beautiful darts! And nice review!, I can never get my pictures to look decent.  Smile
Darts: 21.5 gm monster cobra I no.5 soft tips
Flights: l-style Jelle klassen blackout 
Shafts: Silver/black supergrip carbons.
Favorite players: Simon Whitlock, Jelle klaasen
2019 180’s: 9/12
2019 Hat: 121/130
2019 highlights: finished game with a 6.45mpr in cricket and lost. 
Won my first tournament! (1/25/19)
“My biggest problem in life, is overcoming myself... but once I defeated myself, all that was left was peace”-Kevin Gates
Nice review Andreas, already added to the index of reviewed darts.  One technical thing I might mention.  You're using attachments for pictures.  This restricts the number of pictures to 5, and presents them as a thumbnail until clicked.  Using share links like Imgur will give you more flexibility without those limits.  If you check the other reviewers, this is what they're doing.  How can you tell?  From the Forum Guides, 2nd paragraph:

https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...?tid=33723

Well done on your first review!

cheers
"Brand: McCoy (If I'm not mistaken, this is from the Nodor 28xx series)"

The McCoys Marksman are similar, but not the same as the Nodor 2802 (aka Designa Mega Grip S2). The Nodor's are longer (40.80 mm) and thinner (7.60 mm).

[Image: designamegagripsteeltipdarts2802.png]
(01-21-2019, 11:02 PM)italNZ Wrote: Well done!

Great review for your first time Smile

(01-21-2019, 11:40 PM)Mac-attack99 Wrote: Now those are some Beautiful darts! And nice review!, I can never get my pictures to look decent.  Smile

Thank you, guys!
Even though I do fix up my images in Photoshop before posting I will say that the most important factor is good, bright, preferably not-so-standard-yellow-reddish light. With that, you don't need a fancy camera or software in order to post a decent image on a forum.
(01-22-2019, 02:04 AM)nixer55 Wrote: Nice review Andreas, already added to the index of reviewed darts.  One technical thing I might mention.  You're using attachments for pictures.  This restricts the number of pictures to 5, and presents them as a thumbnail until clicked.  Using share links like Imgur will give you more flexibility without those limits.  If you check the other reviewers, this is what they're doing.  How can you tell?  From the Forum Guides, 2nd paragraph:

https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...?tid=33723

Well done on your first review!

cheers

Thank you!
I had known about Imgur but couldn't be bothered at first to sign up, which I now did. I also had a Flickr account but getting the BBCode from there is not quite as straight forward as it is on Imgur.
I replaced the attachments with linked images, hope that's better.
Nice review and even better with the linked pics.
Nice review Andreas! Well worth a +1 well done! Smile
If you are a guest browsing this forum, why not join up, we're a friendly bunch here and love to welcome new membersSmile Click HERE to join

Subscribe to my Darts Review Channel on Youtube: CLICK HERE

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

[Image: 87L1RR5.png]
(01-22-2019, 06:09 AM)bkbum Wrote: "Brand: McCoy (If I'm not mistaken, this is from the Nodor 28xx series)"

The McCoys Marksman are similar, but not the same as the Nodor 2802 (aka Designa Mega Grip S2). The Nodor's are longer (40.80 mm) and thinner (7.60 mm).

You're right, they are not exactly the same. I haven't found the McCoys in the current Nodor catalogue but looking at those I think it's obvious that Nodor made them.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  XQMax MVG Original Style 18G, 90% Tungsten Soft Tip Review Ehudakineyah 26 2,933 03-09-2019, 09:14 PM
Last Post: camwilk
  Jamie Lewis 23g quick review Kaigen Moore 11 1,208 10-02-2018, 05:36 PM
Last Post: *Saber*
  Target Vapor8 Yellow - 22g - Quick Review vanJupp 7 699 09-26-2018, 11:06 PM
Last Post: Richa
  DartsClearance 22g Tungsten, Ando Style Grip, Steel Tip Darts Review Ehudakineyah 9 1,452 08-15-2018, 02:26 AM
Last Post: Ehudakineyah
  Elysian 3 Quick Review Askew180 14 3,199 10-11-2017, 04:30 PM
Last Post: Askew180
  Would like to see Mccoy darts review syow25 23 15,648 03-13-2016, 02:18 AM
Last Post: gram70
  Unicorn Purist Phase 2 vs Mccoy Max review Chr1st2aan 36 26,350 04-18-2015, 12:39 PM
Last Post: Fred-180