Beginner Question--Rear Foot
Hey Everyone,

I have only been playing about three weeks now, and I am wondering about my rear foot.  I want to make sure I am not ingraining bad habits from the start because as a music teacher I know it is incredibly hard to unlearn something.  I would rather start as correct as I can and then evolve.
I am currently raising up on the ball of my rear foot a bit.  It is NOT flat on the ground.  When I am flat footed it feels like I am further away and that I am really far from the double 20.  This may not be the case in reality and just means that I should get used to it.  I am kind of looking for a what is better for the long term?  Flat rear foot, or raised rear foot?  I am spending about an hour a day practicing.  Helps Zen me out when I am not overthinking things like Aim, and sighting and stance and world peas.
It might be an unanswerable question, but at least I am posting in the beginner forum ;-)

Thanks,

Scott
I think the key is to find something comfortable...and stick with it. In golf there is "the perfect swing"...but many pro's swing a little differently from each other. In darts there is even more variety of throws..but many will get the job done. The key is having a repeatable throw.
Moddarts 22 Gram Keith Deller'sModdarts
If your stance is comfortable and you happy with it then stick with it so you can concentrate on your throw,follow through and where aiming....... if uncomfortable you will shift about ,worry bout it but also cause issues with achy legs,back etc etc....... find comfortable and stick with it!!!
As other said whatever feels comfortable, there is no right or wrong stance really
Cool. I will just keep on!
When I was staring out and I found a comfortable stance I marked the floor under my back foot. this insured I put it at the same place every time until it became 2nd nature. Hope this helps and happy darting!
2019 180s: 19/50
2019 Best leg: 16
2019 Highest finish: 145

2017/18 180s: 17 / 32
2017/18 Best leg: 17 / 14
2017/18 Highest finish: 152 / 152

Great idea!
It seems that the "average" weight distribution is around 80/20, but it can move either way. Most will agree that one should keep both feet, as well as the entire body, still during the throw, though there are exceptions to that too. Witness Jockey or Mensur who lunge at the board with such force that they lift their back foot in the process. Remember Newtons's third law. It is surprising how much force is generated in the arm throwing a 25g or less weight. Good to have the body anchored. 
As everyone says, it has to be comfortable, both the weight distribution and the angles. Trial and error, and FEELING are the only way to find out what is best and most "natural"... as if there were anything "natural" about throwing darts.
Tongue

Just out of curiosity I set up a scale and a thin book of the same height to see what I weigh in at. I weigh at the moment 70kg, and in my throwing stance I have 61kg on the front (right) foot. I also have my left heel raised, but it stays that way during the throw, I don't lift it further.

[Image: 40044213562_88cce74fd0_b.jpg]

Target 9Five Generation 3s Cool  23.g (weighted 22s) 32mm points.  How can I miss with them arrows?  Undecided   

(01-17-2019, 09:45 AM)DanC.Licks Wrote: It seems that the "average" weight distribution is around 80/20, but it can move either way. Most will agree that one should keep both feet, as well as the entire body, still during the throw, though there are exceptions to that too. Witness Jockey or Mensur who lunge at the board with such force that they lift their back foot in the process. Remember Newtons's third law. It is surprising how much force is generated in the arm throwing a 25g or less weight. Good to have the body anchored. 
As everyone says, it has to be comfortable, both the weight distribution and the angles. Trial and error, and FEELING are the only way to find out what is best and most "natural"... as if there were anything "natural" about throwing darts.
Tongue

Just out of curiosity I set up a scale and a thin book of the same height to see what I weigh in at. I weigh at the moment 70kg, and in my throwing stance I have 61kg on the front (right) foot. I also have my left heel raised, but it stays that way during the throw, I don't lift it further.

Awesome answer.  Thanks!  All these answers remind me to try and keep my body still as I throw.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Wink Beginner question - Flights CalixNL 16 1,022 01-09-2019, 03:30 AM
Last Post: CalixNL
  Beginner question - Flooring CalixNL 10 631 01-07-2019, 01:51 PM
Last Post: LKH9
  Beginner Dart Accessories Clocked92 11 650 01-04-2019, 12:18 AM
Last Post: SlingBlade
  Beginner question:Tournaments : doubles / partners / teams CalixNL 4 353 11-16-2018, 01:30 PM
Last Post: mc1958
  Can a beginner try this!!! PresidentWu 4 741 03-16-2018, 08:21 PM
Last Post: Another26
  Beginner MPR for Cricket lewlewlew1984 5 1,527 02-15-2018, 04:30 AM
Last Post: Remmy
  Stats as a beginner??? PresidentWu 3 684 02-11-2018, 03:12 PM
Last Post: theblindPew
  beginner or not ? nightcrawler 2 752 05-05-2017, 12:30 PM
Last Post: Tez Tickle
  a new set up for beginner B2B180 21 6,031 04-26-2015, 08:59 AM
Last Post: Cat
  Dart for advanced beginner Dartimus Maximus 38 8,791 03-21-2015, 01:27 PM