File size error attaching pics
Getting File Size Error Attaching Pictures

For some time, the forum has promoted the use of picture sharing sites like Imgur as the most effective and resource neutral way to share your darting pictures.  However, as many members know, you can also 'attach' pictures to a post. In this case, the image is uploaded to the forum host, and loaded when the post is viewed.  The picture is displayed as a 'thumbnail', and enlarged when clicked.  This method has become increasingly popular lately, but can have significant drawbacks for the forum if not used appropriately.

Recently, we had some issues with overly large files.  As a result, all allowed attachment types were reviewed and size limits implemented.  This will prevent large files from overwhelming forum storage quotas, or causing other problems.

Going forward, any picture exceeding 1 MB will be rejected and you'll see a 'file size' error message.  Please note, this doesn't effect share links in any way.  Only pictures and other files uploaded via the 'Attachment' screen are impacted.

So how can I attach pictures?  Well, we still recommend using photo sharing sites, but if you want to attach an image, here's some steps you can take to limit the picture size:
  1. Reduce your camera's default resolution.  Modern digital cameras are capable of very high resolution and quality but such resolutions are wasted on a web form. Why?  Because they exceed what can be displayed within the post.  Reduce the image resolution to around 1024 X 768 - or less - for attachments.  Take your picture and check the size on your device. Must be under 1 MB to upload successfully.  If not, reduce the resolution further as required.
  2. If you don't wish to change your camera settings, but feel you must use attachments, you'll need to reduce image resolution using software before uploading to the forum.  On Windows computers, Paint or Photo Gallery have this capability.  Research your device to find the most appropriate application.
  3. Update: Change resolution online.  Example site: https://resizeimage.net/
At the end of the day, attachment limits may be inconvenient, but learning how to reduce picture size will have a positive effect on the forum viewing experience.  Both from an 'under the hood' perspective, and most importantly, member reading enjoyment.

Good darting! Smile
(01-12-2019, 03:15 PM)nixer55 Wrote: Edit: removed quoted FAQ

any advice on doing this for Iphone users? im not sure if i can even change the size until its already in the post. any help is appreciated.
Darts: 21.5 gm monster cobra I no.5 soft tips
Flights: l-style Jelle klassen blackout 
Shafts: Silver/black supergrip carbons.
Favorite players: Simon Whitlock, Jelle klaasen
2019 180’s: 9/12
2019 Hat: 121/130
2019 highlights: finished game with a 6.45mpr in cricket and lost. 
Won my first tournament! (1/25/19)
“My biggest problem in life, is overcoming myself... but once I defeated myself, all that was left was peace”-Kevin Gates
Not an iPhone user, but a quick search gives me this:

https://www.imore.com/how-crop-resize-ph...e-and-ipad

Edit:  And iPhone users with Tapatalk do it quite easily, because they're uploading a link.  Which isn't effected by file size limits...
(01-12-2019, 06:02 PM)Mac-attack99 Wrote:
(01-12-2019, 03:15 PM)nixer55 Wrote: Edit: Removed quoted FAQ

any advice on doing this for Iphone users? im not sure if i can even change the size until its already in the post. any help is appreciated.

Adobe Photoshop Express is a good app for all sorts of photo stuff, and can certainly resize photos - free too!

https://www.photoshop.com/products/photoshopexpress
B: 22g   S: Short   F: Shape   180s: 4/25
I can’t figure it out lol I got Imgur app for iPads I ended up just making a meme lol I cant post anything public, only hidden and links . I want the link to show the pic in My forum post!?

Figured It out

Edit - for future users on iPads

Download Imgur App.
Sign in
Upload photo
Copy link
Share it into your reply on dartnutz full reply , add URL , choose image size, HEight and Width , between 300-500 gives a decent size
Seek ye first the Kingdom of God
(01-14-2019, 03:58 AM)CalixNL Wrote: https://imgur.com/a/CDdzKGL

So there is no Way for imgur To show the picture in My forum post.

Yes there is.  Select a picture in your Imgur account.  You'll see "Copy" and a down arrow to the right side.  Select the down arrow and "Get Share Links".  Then select "BBCode Forums" and press the copy button.  Position the cursor in your post, then paste.  Select "Preview", and your picture will appear.  If everything looks good, you're ready to post!

Edit:  Ah iPad.  That might not work, not sure the iPad app supports share links.  Sorry Calix...
Ohhyaaa ! L337 computer hacker now lol skills only took me 20 years of computer us To learn how to add a photo to a forum , I gave them a bath with the ol tooth brush and warm water n soap. lol can’t stand gross skin all in the grooves

[Image: 7V2ORsj.jpg]
(01-14-2019, 04:11 AM)CalixNL Wrote: Ohhyaaa I a, L337 computer hacker now lol skills only took me 20 years of computer us Tom learn how to add a photo to a forum lol
[Image: 7V2ORsjm.jpg]

And this is how you edit the link URL to make the damn thing smaller - lol
Hey Nixxer!!
Thanks.
I didn’t see the bbcode way,

But after I uploaded it on imgur, I was able to get the link. Copy it, and paste it into the DN REPLY URL

Edit , picture size , practice attempt 1 ( size 200 and 200 )

[Image: 7P75zYa.jpg]

Practice attempt 2 ( size 300 and 300 lol)

[Image: BL85r8l.jpg]
(01-14-2019, 04:18 AM)CalixNL Wrote: Hey Nixxer!!
Thanks.
I didn’t see the bbcode way,

But after I uploaded it on imgur, I was able to get the link. Copy it, and paste it into the DN REPLY URL

[Image: 7P75zYam.jpg]

Which seems to work fine, although your pictures are on the large side.  Good to know for iPads.  BTW, resized the picture in this quote for demonstration.  Good etiquette when quoting posts would be to remove the picture all together.  Easier to read and follow the thread.  Here's the FAQ for that:

https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...?tid=33723

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  can't view pics Maineiac 15 7,360 04-06-2016, 05:29 PM
Last Post: *Saber*
  Easy Way To Post Pics To The Forum Banned 9 6,564 05-13-2015, 12:32 AM
Last Post: Cat
  Attaching Images to posts using forum options Getagrip 2 7,148 08-23-2013, 08:57 AM
Last Post: Getagrip