BDO darts commentators.....
vanJupp Wrote:

Listening to Rawling and Nicho in comms together was brutal. Constant talking and always beeing overly friendly and nice. Yes, the BDO lads are amateurs, but you can still say, that a bad shot was bad. I get the feeling the commentators are not saying anything negative on purpose and that's not what commentating should be about.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think the lack of negative comments about bad shots or bad games is that the darts world at the championship level is pretty small, and most of the players know each other fairly well.  As a result, they may be reluctant to criticize each other.  It's an understandable feeling, but when they're being commentators, they have a responsibility to be professional and describe the match accurately, good or bad. 

As far as Paul Nicholson being upset at John Lowe's comments, the complaint that Lowe is not a commentator himself doesn't hold much water.  He is still entitled to his opinion.  But even if Nicholson considers his complaint valid, well, I spent nearly twenty years in broadcasting as a radio announcer, so I do have the background to offer an opinion.  My thought is that Nicholson is acceptable in small doses, especially when he's doing proper analysis, but much of his rambling is frankly just a waste of airtime.
Current darts: Designa Spectre 224 24g
Board: Winmau Blade 5
Best 501 game: 11 darts  (3 times)
Best 1001 game: 27 darts
High finish: 170
2018 180s: 280
/300  2019 180s: 55/300
Lifetime 3 x Bull: 38
(01-13-2019, 04:31 AM)djb Wrote: As far as Paul Nicholson being upset at John Lowe's comments, the complaint that Lowe is not a commentator himself doesn't hold much water.  He is still entitled to his opinion.  But even if Nicholson considers his complaint valid, well, I spent nearly twenty years in broadcasting as a radio announcer, so I do have the background to offer an opinion.  My thought is that Nicholson is acceptable in small doses, especially when he's doing proper analysis, but much of his rambling is frankly just a waste of airtime.

Completely agree with this, especially the last sentence.

Just keep it to the game at hand, and occasionally...very occasionally, go into some past story or experience that's relevant.