BDO darts commentators.....
(01-10-2019, 06:02 PM)Curbo Wrote: Anyone else here absolutely pulling their hair out at the shocking commentary on the BDO World Darts??
I've never heard so much rubbish talked in my life.
Not sure whose the worst.....
John Rawling....senile old duffer who comes out with the most random comments.
Paul Nicholson.....words fail me. Talks the most rubbish of anyone I've ever heard in my life. "I'd have a better chance of understanding a Klingon menu in my sleep." Yes, unbelievably he actually said that.
Chris Mason....compared to Rawling and Nicholson he actually sounds sensible, although he was never as good at darts as he thinks he was.
Then there's the presenter. Nat something or other. Darts knowledge....zero.
Then there's the lass doing the interviews. OMFG.
The whole thing is so cringeworthy even Wolfie looks embarrassed.
Shocking.
I agree with everything you said, they just talk a load of rot. I'm enjoying the tournament but i have to mute those buffoons. they boil my p...
I like Mace and Rawlings, never had any problems on ITV, though if anything they have been too kind too some of the games. Not keen on Adams, too pro BDO and overstates the ability of the players. Nicho to me over talks, like an alternate Mardle or a poor man's Waddle. George who does the interview really is not doing well, it all just feels so awkward, but far better doing ints there than in bar like before. Nat is doing fine, no worse than others of seen but not as good as Jacqui Oatley who I think is the best. The camera work and spotting/editing have been poor, so many missed shots.
Mack The Knife
(01-11-2019, 02:33 PM)joeriw96 Wrote:
(01-11-2019, 01:34 PM)MarcTH Wrote: I really think the coverage is decent looking at the circumstances the tournament was organised under. Commentary doesn't bother me as much as the topic starter was describing. What I do think is that Nicholson is trying a bit hard to copy Sid Waddell saying things like the topic starter described. Still a lot better than the commentary here in the Netherlands though. Just sounds like two blokes casually watching a game of darts, no profound knowledge of darts at all.
Agree, much rather listen to the English comms than those 2 at Eurosport NL. Comms in the Netherlands are bad in general however, even at RTL7 I sometimes can't stand them.

Lol RTL 7 is horrible at times. Jacques and the other fellow are so-so. Sometimes they say some interesting things during a match, sometimes they spill utter nonsense.

He (luckily) doesn't comment during the matches, but in the studio, Co Stompe is the worst. Followed up by Klaassen (who shouldn't even be on television, nor should still be a prof. darts player). 
Co talks trash 99% of all time. 

Roland Scholten is fun to listen to as he talks about darts like its football.

But BDO commenting is rubbish. Never liked Nicholson. Not even as a player.
Also very childish that he literally blocked a legend like John Lowe on Twitter.
23g McKicks Mighty Grip w/ Target Diamond Pro points (silver)
Winmau Blade 5 DC

Highest finish: 96 against my boss  Tongue
(01-12-2019, 02:30 PM)RooieReetAap Wrote: Lol RTL 7 is horrible at times. Jacques and the other fellow are so-so. Sometimes they say some interesting things during a match, sometimes they spill utter nonsense.

He (luckily) doesn't comment during the matches, but in the studio, Co Stompe is the worst. Followed up by Klaassen (who shouldn't even be on television, nor should still be a prof. darts player). 
Co talks trash 99% of all time. 

Roland Scholten is fun to listen to as he talks about darts like its football.

But BDO commenting is rubbish. Never liked Nicholson. Not even as a player.
Also very childish that he literally blocked a legend like John Lowe on Twitter.

Agree with you there. Actually quite like MvG as an analyst when he occasionally shows up, VvdV is pretty decent too imo. I also really don't like Marcel Maijer on the desk, feel like he just loves to talk down on non-Dutch players without a reason.

Staying on topic, if Nicholson can't take a little criticism he shouldn't be in comms at all. How can you improve if you don't listen to criticism? Even if Lowe never was a commentator he sure can voice his opinion about Nicholson.
I might feel differently if I had grown up in the UK, but I think you guys over there may have been spoiled. After growing up with Howard Cosell's commentary and having to tolerate the likes of Joe Buck and Troy Aikman these days, I'm always happy to hear Mason and Nicholson in the booth, even when they're talking about stuff I don't care about (wrestling, golf). A lot of their stories do interest me, and the ones that do interest me stick with me.

The "Klingon in my sleep" thing may have been a bit silly, but Sid Waddell used to spit out stuff a lot more incomprehensible and inane than that and unless I'm grossly misreading everything, he was almost universally popular. So maybe I'm misreading this too, but I sometimes wonder if the fact that a lot of people disliked Nicholson's 'bad boy' routine as a player hasn't carried over into a fair number of the reviews of his commentary. I can think of a fair number of North American athletes I disliked over the years enough to the point where I'd probably start with "dislike" as my default setting if they moved to the booth themselves, so maybe that's the case with Nicholson?
That woman doing the interview’s is awful. Lorraine you’ve just been truly beaten up in the final, how do you feel?!?!
(01-12-2019, 04:31 PM)DBT20 Wrote: That woman doing the interview’s is awful. Lorraine you’ve just been truly beaten up in the final, how do you feel?!?!
Yep, she's awful

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
I was truly shocked that she asked her that right after the loss.

What did you think she was going to say???

And that comment during the ladies final about the wrestling...my wife turned to me and actually said WTF?
(01-12-2019, 08:51 PM)italNZ Wrote: I was truly shocked that she asked her that right after the loss.

And that comment during the ladies final about the wrestling...my wife turned to me and actually said WTF?
What comment was that?

(01-12-2019, 09:29 PM)Poidisb Wrote:
(01-12-2019, 08:51 PM)italNZ Wrote: I was truly shocked that she asked her that right after the loss.

What comment was that?

Something to the effect of if Suzuki won, he could only compare it to her being a pro wrestler in Japan, and then joining the WWE and winning the Royal Rumble and Wrestlemania all in one.  Something like that anyway.  

The other commentators kept quiet and didn't even acknowledge it.