bulge in new dart board
Hi,
   I bought the Winmau Blade 5 dartboard about 4-5 months ago and today I noticed a bulge in the 20.  Sad  Is this considered normal over time?  Does Winmau offer any sort of warranty to protect against this?

Thanks,
George
Hi Whippet0,

I think 4/5 months (depending in how much you throw) is pretty normal for a board showing marks. You can allways turn the board around and adjust the ring with numbers so you got a "fresh" new 20's bed.

Don't think Winmau offers a warranty for spots on their boards, atleast not after 4/5 months.
Current darts: Daytona Fire DF-01  (21g)
Shaft:            Short Harrows Supergrip (black&gold)
Flights:          Std Amazon (black)

180's
2018: 2
2019: 14
I had a section bulging out within a few weeks of buying my Blade 4, maybe about 1000 darts a day. With normal rotations, it hasn't occurred on any of the other beds, but it sure is an eyesore at a good half inch raised up from the surface.
(01-07-2019, 05:56 AM)whippet0 Wrote: Only available to view for active members with 5 or more posts click register to join Smile
Register
I would say that its defective, frankly I'm not a fan of dual core and wonder if its a means of using up the sisal wasteage during manufacture Big Grin

You will note from other members that this bulge problem is not an isolated instance with this board Angry .

Cheers
Dorian
Son of Merlin

Caerleon - Wales

(Monster "Milkman" - 22.4Gm, Smooth Gold Points 36mm, Yellow Kite Shape Flights 100 micron & Solid Brass Stems)

[IMG]Only available to view for active members with 5 or more posts click register to join Smile [/IMG] Register

My father Merlin, once told me that "You should end up pointing to what you were aiming at when you've released the Dart."

Presumably you have been rotating the board regularly? If not then that is probably why you have the bulge in the 20 if it's not happening in other segments.
Normal suspects for bulging are moisture, heat, or both. If the sisal fibres are exposed to moisture, they will swell and pull away from the backing.  The glue is water soluble, so this can cause an accumulative effect.  But I've had various brands develop swelling in humidity controlled areas, so exactly why is a bit of a mystery.

You might contact them and ask.  Take some pictures too.

cheers...
I've only had 1 board EVER bulge on me
I've had 3 boards over the past 20 yrs.  And the only reason I changed my second board out was because I went from a Reg. Board to pract. board.  7-9yrs now.  Used Daily Sometimes ALLDAY

I keep my mancave 
when NOT in use rarely 62-65 degrees
When in use 66-69degrees
humidity 40% drives wife all the wall because of the electric bill and the dehumidier LOL

I've often heard rotate the Numbers.
I may have done that 1/2 times the problem with that
is You just move the problem you don't fix the problem

What I tend to do is when I start to see heavy wear I will take a bottle of water and MIST the board which tends to close up a lot of the holes.

I figure I still have another year or two before I see any real bulging if then.

I've been throwing darts sense my father brought our first HORSEHAIR dartboard home from Scotland in the 70's while in the U.S. Navy and a Shaving bag of dart sets you can fit a lot of dart sets in a shaving bag.  Big Grin My dartboard had a 1 yr hiatus when the sole remaining set of darts was stolen.  

NOW with all that said THIS IS ONLY MY OPINION  anybody who reads this.  You take your Dartboard and longevity and life of your friend and your boards life into your own hands I WILL NOT Take responsibility for YOUR ACTIONS.  This is just what I DO.  You do what you want.

as stated OPTIONAL OPINION.  Not a dartbible LOL

Kenny

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Misting a sisal board with water is a risky move.  All manufacturers specifically advise against this.
Weather can play a part here in Canada too
Hi guys,

Lots of misinformation on this thread I'm afraid. Please take a read of this link as it may help:

https://winmau.com/dartboard-maintenance

With regards to the first post, I would say that 4-5 months play does not warrant the description of a 'new' dartboard. Of course it totally depends on how many darts have been thrown at it in that time.

All I can say is that Winmau have total control over the manufacture of our dartboards and they are constantly being tested to ensure that only the best quality leaves the factory. I have total confidence in that process. 

Best Regards,

Lee
Maybe it's just pleased to see you?

Edit:  but seriously, are you turning the board as others have mentioned?  My first board was a blade 4 and i had a similar problem after 6 or 7 months because I didn't know about turning it, I basically waited for the 20 to be completely worn out, then turned it.  Now I turn my board at least every week and it's pretty much like new after 7 months.
Monster Helios 3 22g
One80 Vice stems
Black shape L Style flights 
Gold champagne caps 
Thank you for your reply.
I'm sincere when I say thank you.  
It vailidates what I said in that this is only my opinion
This Is only what I've done over the years.
I've never read that but then again I never LOOKED either That's my bad.  I find a good Qaulity board I like See the board I buy it and I hang it.  Like I said previous I've only had to buy 3 over the past 20yrs.  and the second was only because I went from a regulation board to a trainer board. I know the measurements I need.  
I would not Want anybody to destroy there new board listening to me.
And it's only my opinion that has worked for me.  I didn't say and or advise go against the manufactures advise I wouldn't do that. to anybody It just works and worked for me over the years. But then again I don't go out and buy boards everyday or year.  I buy them usually when I need one so times change systems change. I've only played soft tip once. AND HATED IT.  LOL.  It didn't feel like really throwing darts.  It felt like throwing staws LOL.  I guess you can call me a traditionalist.  Old habits die hard lol.   As you can see my board is still in good shape. And yes It is risky I agree.  But sorry to say this is what I've done with ALL my boards sense the 70's.  I'm not telling anybody to go against the manufacturer's advise.

Kenny{OPTIONAL OPINION}

Blackwidows
27 gm.
movable tips.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(01-07-2019, 09:15 AM)mc1958 Wrote: Only available to view for active members with 5 or more posts click register to join Smile
Register
I did not realize that I should be rotating the board so frequently. Thanks.
(01-07-2019, 08:28 AM)Dorian Wrote: Only available to view for active members with 5 or more posts click register to join Smile
Register
I have the non-dual core version of the Blade 5. It is frustrating because it is so new.
(01-07-2019, 06:54 PM)whippet0 Wrote: Only available to view for active members with 5 or more posts click register to join Smile
Register
I see.... well its still a warranty as far as I'm concerned, contact Winmau with a photo and date you bought it the area you play darts in the house with a stable temperature etc or otherwise and whilst not the issue you should mention how often you use it and rotate etc.

Winmau are an icon in our sport and will be pleased to help you out, I've no doubt.

Cheers
Dorian
Son of Merlin

Caerleon - Wales

(Monster "Milkman" - 22.4Gm, Smooth Gold Points 36mm, Yellow Kite Shape Flights 100 micron & Solid Brass Stems)

[IMG]Only available to view for active members with 5 or more posts click register to join Smile [/IMG] Register

My father Merlin, once told me that "You should end up pointing to what you were aiming at when you've released the Dart."

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Blade 5 bulge thurgood107 19 1,714 10-30-2019, 11:37 AM
Last Post: The Fox
  FOUND OUR NEXT DART BOARD! PREACHERMAN 12 432 09-18-2019, 06:59 AM
Last Post: PREACHERMAN
Thumbs Down My board has a big bulge in it. PC462000 16 3,278 06-02-2019, 11:30 PM
Last Post: Borisbbadd
  Lol what dart board? CalixNL 3 260 03-07-2019, 03:38 AM
Last Post: CalixNL
  Red Dragon Hi-Score 2 Dart Board ChrisTheFish 1 234 01-19-2019, 01:52 AM
Last Post: nixer55
  Polypropylene dart board Breadfan 21 1,326 08-29-2018, 02:24 PM
Last Post: Getagrip
  Eh...New dart board Breadfan 9 584 08-28-2018, 07:53 PM
Last Post: justin-tutboard
  Dart Board Stand Scott12 16 1,068 07-28-2018, 01:53 PM
Last Post: Lynx
  The ‘optimal’ dart board designed by David Percy Twenty-one 3 589 05-24-2018, 02:45 PM
Last Post: Twenty-one
  Dart Board is Getting Hard thehop 4 774 03-28-2018, 03:13 PM
Last Post: thehop