Leo Laurens
Now the Worlds are well underway I had a bit of a reminisce, and one of my favorite players when I first started watching darts, Leo Laurens (my other favorite in the picture with him) - here is a bit of info on the fella (taken from Wikipedia). He has a couple of interesting 'claims to fame' too. 

[IMG]Only available to view for active members with 5 or more posts click register to join Smile [/IMG] Register

Full name - Leo Laurens
Nickname - The Lion of Antwerp
Born - 30 July 1952(age 66)
Nationality - Belgium

Leo Laurens (born 30 July 1952) is a Belgian retired darts player who competed in BDO events. At the end of 1993, Laurens was number one in the WDF world rankings after all of the BDO's top players broke away to form the World Darts Council (now the PDC). Despite his new accolade, Laurens never won a major title.

Laurens made his World Championship debut in 1989, losing in the first round to American RickOnly available to view for active members with 5 or more posts click register to join Smile Ney. He returned a year later, beating Canada's Bob Sinnaeve before losing to Mike Gregory.. His best performance came in 1997, where he reached the quarter finals after beating Richie Davies and Richie Burnett. He lost to reigning champion Steve Beaton. Laurens also holds the record for most 180's scored in a first round match at the World Championship, with nine, although John Henderson holds the record for a best of five sets match with 12.

He also played in the Winmau World Masters in 1988, 1993, and 1995, losing in the first round on each occasion.

Here are a set of his replica darts, 21g (I think they were made by Grand Slam, same company that made Barneys Triple B's? - sure someone can correct me if I am wrong).

[IMG]Only available to view for active members with 5 or more posts click register to join Smile [/IMG] Register
I remember Leo, quick thrower and as you mentioned a decent scorer in his day.

Here's the Beaton/Laurens quarters match you mentioned as well, Only available to view for active members with 5 or more posts click register to join Smile
Nice darts, looks like it was the battle of the hair curls lol
Nice darts and darts player is retro star!
Remember cracking open the Fairpak Hamper case of mixed booze with me dad and brother watching that Beaton vs Laurens match, some of the tackle in that box was enough to make your hair curl, Skol, Harp, Watneys - they were the days Big Grin
(12-18-2018, 02:57 PM)REBEL Wrote: Only available to view for active members with 5 or more posts click register to join Smile
Register
I remember those hampers very well.  Big Grin
Kevin a.k.a. "Sniper".  Moddarts