Strongest Soft Tip Points for Heavy Darts?
(12-06-2018, 04:58 PM)Baloos Wrote: Hey Bull,
I'm using or have the Arachnid 850, I think that's the model number. It's just an electronic board, no internet hookup or anything. I got it back in Jan when I started playing again but I soon switched over to a sisal because of the bounce outs and the noise. I'm playing both steel & soft now so I rarely use it. What I did do just for reference is take a thin slice of a soft tip spider and attach that to my sisal board. There is quite a difference so I use that for a while before going out to play league.
 The are a couple of great internet boards but I'm the wrong guy to give advice as I've never owned one. I think there is a thread or two on the forum about them.
Things are quite different now as opposed to the 80'& 90's equipment wise. It's mind boggling what's available. This internet thing is also responsible for keeping the sport alive here in the states I think.....But I long for the simple days of just a board and darts and the only thing you plugged in was the dart board light....lol.....shoot well sir!

This one Baloos?  Smile

https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...?tid=34399
(12-06-2018, 05:18 PM)nixer55 Wrote:
(12-06-2018, 04:58 PM)Baloos Wrote: Hey Bull,
I'm using or have the Arachnid 850, I think that's the model number. It's just an electronic board, no internet hookup or anything. I got it back in Jan when I started playing again but I soon switched over to a sisal because of the bounce outs and the noise. I'm playing both steel & soft now so I rarely use it. What I did do just for reference is take a thin slice of a soft tip spider and attach that to my sisal board. There is quite a difference so I use that for a while before going out to play league.
 The are a couple of great internet boards but I'm the wrong guy to give advice as I've never owned one. I think there is a thread or two on the forum about them.
Things are quite different now as opposed to the 80'& 90's equipment wise. It's mind boggling what's available. This internet thing is also responsible for keeping the sport alive here in the states I think.....But I long for the simple days of just a board and darts and the only thing you plugged in was the dart board light....lol.....shoot well sir!

This one Baloos?  Smile

https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...?tid=34399
LOL...yes sir..... Blush
Just an update.  I started by purchasing a pack of LIPPOINT PREMIUM SOFT TIP POINTS and FIT POINT PLUS SOFT TIPS.  I have COLONIAL SOFT BARRELS TUNGSTEN 90 darts in 16, 18, and 20 gram.  These have an unbelievably high gripping level.  https://www.a-zdarts.com/26-bo-69005-20g...-20gm.html

The reason I have them in 3 weights is that using all 3 is part of my mental game training.  I did the same thing with the Unicorn’s I purchased decades ago (which are in my avatar picture) for the same reason.  With the 20 gram Colonial darts, I have 2 sets, one for my main home box of darts sets, and the other in a two dart box travel setup when I go to a bar or pub. The second set in the travel box is a steel tip set.

Originally I had both sets of Colonial 20 gram darts setup with S-Line spinner shafts.  This put their setup weight at 21 grams with No. 6 Vision flights.  For this beginning test I changed both sets to Hammerhead short spinners, with Vision Ultra Ten-X flights which brought the weight of both sets to 20 grams per dart.  One set has the LIPPOINT PREMIUM SOFT TIP POINTS and the other has the FIT POINT PLUS SOFT TIPS.  I’ve been throwing each set 20 times a day.  

So far the FIT POINT PLUS SOFT TIPS are holding up a little better than the LIPPOINT PREMIUM SOFT TIP POINTS.  That little bit of difference in the LIPPOINT points is that as I hit the edge of my old soft tip board when working on double 20’s I get a little tip bend, but they can be easily straightened out.  I have yet to replace one.  On the Fit points I’ve yet to see one bend even the slightest.  

I made the change to 20 grams, because I wanted the starting point weight, to be the max which could be used if I end up getting a Gran Board 3.  

I was told when I purchased the LIPPOINT points, the feedback was that these tips had more bounce outs, because certain boards didn’t like them.  With my board I’ve not had this experience with either of the two tips.  

Another interesting difference between the 2 tips is that the diameter of the tip at the barrel is a bit smaller on the LIPPOINT.  I use a slightly bigger diameter o-ring on my soft tip darts than what you would buy at the dart store.  I use them not only on the shaft, but on the tip too.  I started doing this long ago, because it greatly increases tip life due to them not getting lose as quick.

With all the other tips I have used the larger o-rings with, they leave a little bit of an edge which makes it easy to feel where the tip and the barrel side meet.  BTW the larger o-ring I use does not poke out on the shaft or barrel.  With the LIPPOINT tips I have to use the smaller o-ring, because the larger o-rings poke out excessively to the point of knotting with the LIPPOINT tips.  

I don’t know if it’s just a coincidence, but with the LIPPOINT tips I have noticed more times that two darts are grouped in side by side holes.

I want to see how long it is going to take to see complete tip failure on each dart.  The next test will be with my 23 gram set, but it will take longer as I only have one set at that weight.

Once again, thanks everybody for your feedback.
Gran 3 - ID: Bull007, One80 Gladiator 3, & Nodor President
Darts: Target, Colonial, Unicorn & Pacer - Soft & Steel Tip
Having to write this over, I think I forgot to hit the post button.  @Baloos, I can’t pick them up, because I’m not supposed to bend yet.  So at home I’m using one of those long grabber things, for people who live in the old folks home.  The thought of having to take that THING into a pub or bar, was just to embarrassing to think about.  Not to mention the constant ribbing I would have to take, and the nicknames I shudder to think about getting.  

So I’m thinking what am I going to do when I’m out in public?  It was really starting to bother me.  Then, like a bolt of light (in the Blues Brothers first movie) I was blinded, and the voice said "USE...A...MAGNET...ON...A...STRING...DUMMY".  Low and behold, it worked!!!  I have been heeeaaaled!  

Now I just have to paint the magnet black, find the right test of clear fishing line, and practice making it look like the dart is magically jumping off the floor into my hand.   Big Grin Icon_sunny
(12-12-2018, 06:58 AM)Bull Wrote: Having to write this over, I think I forgot to hit the post button.  @Baloos, I can’t pick them up, because I’m not supposed to bend yet.  So at home I’m using one of those long grabber things, for people who live in the old folks home.  The thought of having to take that THING into a pub or bar, was just to embarrassing to think about.  Not to mention the constant ribbing I would have to take, and the nicknames I shudder to think about getting.  

So I’m thinking what am I going to do when I’m out in public?  It was really starting to bother me.  Then, like a bolt of light (in the Blues Brothers first movie) I was blinded, and the voice said "USE...A...MAGNET...ON...A...STRING...DUMMY".  Low and behold, it worked!!!  I have been heeeaaaled!  

Now I just have to paint the magnet black, find the right test of clear fishing line, and practice making it look like the dart is magically jumping off the floor into my hand.   Big Grin Icon_sunny

Then people really will believe that you're on a mission from God!
Yes fit point for me.
@ Immiketurus, ya that’s the ticket, and we’re going to get the band back together, ya and I’ll have my servant caring my dart supplies, when I go to become the champion dart thrower of the world. Ya right, like that’s not going to happen. ?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Heavy dart setup Hazza 4 67 Yesterday, 08:20 PM
Last Post: Hazza
  How I got better at darts, in just minutes! (Pic heavy) John_B 16 2,576 09-05-2016, 08:53 PM
Last Post: Tom12481