Two questions about darts/stems?
Hi,

I have now for some time tested and tested some different barrels and I always tend to go back to some front loaded barrels at around 25 grams. That's why I have decided to try some McCoy Marksman 90 Style A 26 grams darts. What I can see they don't have the longest barrels, so which stem can you recommend for these darts??

I also like the shape and weight of these darts here. They are coming with medium length stems in nylon.

And my 2nd question is. How come so many pros are only using nylon stems? I rarely see any using aluminium stems? I understand that a lighter and thinner barrel gives more room in triple 20 but the stem isn't thicker really, so does the nylon stem provide anything else over aluminium?
(11-23-2018, 06:39 PM)cpohd Wrote: Hi,

I have now for some time tested and tested some different barrels and I always tend to go back to some front loaded barrels at around 25 grams. That's why I have decided to try some McCoy Marksman 90 Style A 26 grams darts. What I can see they don't have the longest barrels, so which stem can you recommend for these darts??

I also like the shape and weight of these darts here. They are coming with medium length stems in nylon.

And my 2nd question is. How come so many pros are only using nylon stems? I rarely see any using aluminium stems? I understand that a lighter and thinner barrel gives more room in triple 20 but the stem isn't thicker really, so does the nylon stem provide anything else over aluminium?

I also use a bullet dart and find I can only use medium stems with such a short barrel. I have a set of those McCoy's in 22g and, for me, they fly best with medium stems and a small standard or pear flight. Regarding stems, I personally reckon nylon or carbon are the best - they're both durable and they do the job well.
Nylon stems are lighter than the same length aluminum stems so there is an issue of balance. Additionally, you can robin hood a nylon stem and it will still be usable, which is not always true with aluminum.
(11-24-2018, 02:48 AM)bkbum Wrote: Nylon stems are lighter than the same length aluminum stems so there is an issue of balance. Additionally, you can robin hood a nylon stem and it will still be usable, which is not always true with aluminum.

But the pros don’t use nylon stems just because you can Robin Hood them? I Saw a review of one saying if you have shorter barrels you should use medium alu stems but the nylon seems mostly used by the pros?
Use whatever works well for you. It's up to you to choose the proper stem length and material. Nylon stems are probably the most popular stems. Cheap and durable...mostly.
(11-25-2018, 04:29 PM)cpohd Wrote:
(11-24-2018, 02:48 AM)bkbum Wrote: Nylon stems are lighter than the same length aluminum stems so there is an issue of balance. Additionally, you can robin hood a nylon stem and it will still be usable, which is not always true with aluminum.

But the pros don’t use nylon stems just because you can Robin Hood them? I Saw a review of one saying if you have shorter barrels you should use medium alu stems but the nylon seems mostly used by the pros?

Who gave the interview? Blanket advice isn't really helpful; as elevendarter said, you have to find out for yourself what works for you.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ASK TARGET DARTS --- All Questions Here Getagrip 107 6,307 08-11-2019, 07:23 AM
Last Post: _TOPS_
  Winmau Darts Related Questions here: Getagrip 71 25,254 12-06-2018, 05:57 PM
Last Post: Molrix
  One80's darts related questions Getagrip 37 12,263 07-04-2018, 07:14 PM
Last Post: Rod Dogg
  Put your questions for Voks Darts in this thread please Getagrip 41 14,800 07-18-2017, 07:22 AM
Last Post: Jacob Schaeffer
  General questions relating to One80 darts Getagrip 21 9,523 08-28-2015, 05:08 PM
Last Post: tracy peckinpaugh