Forum Guide Draft - Sideways Pictures - need some Nutz input!
Had quite a bit of help drafting this guide so far.  Especially @BDG, who endured many questions and suggestions searching for a solution!

Problem is this.  Some members have pictures displaying sideways when they post.  These are typically attachments, where the file is uploaded to the forum and added to the post via the attachment dialogue.

This is caused by a feature of all digital and phone cameras.  You don't see it, but such pictures actually include a great deal of information besides the image.  One of these bits of info is the orientation.  If you want to know more about this 'metadata', search "EXIF data" on the net.

But Nixer - I hear ya' saying - displays fine on my device!  Well yes, because your device knows about the extra instructions.  The forum does not, and ignores this stuff.  So your picture will appear all wonkey.

The easiest work around we've found so far - get the image up on Imgur.  As a picture sharing site, Imgur knows all about 'EXIF'.  Imgur will orient your picture correctly, then remove the extra information when you share.  So other sites like DartsNutz don't show the picture sideways - or upside down - or whatever...

The fly in the ointment comes in sharing that image on the forum.  From @BDG's input and some research evidence, the Imgur 'app' on iPad doesn't seem to support the Imgur 'Get Share Links' feature.  Which anyone with a normal browser can see and access.  You can post a link to your picture no problem, but 'embedding' the pic in a post requires the 'mybb share' link.  Edit: Joeriw96's direct link technique shown in his video didn't seem to work in this case.  And would be nice to avoid manually entering BBcode - lol.

So Nutz, your mission - if you choose to accept it - tell us how you get around this on your device.  Assuming you've seen and dealt with the problem.  I'll look at the answers and put together a finished guide.

cheers, and thanks in advance!
Never dealt with Apple stuff, but on the imgur site when using Apple can you rotate it once clockwise ? would this correct it before you link it or is it cause the phone or tablet was turned when taking the pic and wont correct it ? wish i could offer more
Don't think I'm going to be much help here - I pretty much only use imgur to post pictures, and I'm on a proper pc to do that as well. Even if I uploaded a pic direct to the forum it would only be via my pc as well.
(11-17-2018, 06:48 PM)Crusher17 Wrote: Never dealt with Apple stuff, but on the imgur site when using Apple can you rotate it once clockwise ? would this correct it before you link it or is it cause the phone or tablet was turned when taking the pic and wont correct it ? wish i could offer more

You have the "edit picture" function, but you shouldn't need it on Imgur.  Imgur will read the 'EXIF' metadata and orient the picture correctly.  Unless the picture was taken sideways as you say.

But the main problem seems to be devices using apps instead of a browser.  The 'apps' sometimes don't offer the full functionality available on a site.  So they can't get at the "Share links" parts of Imgur.  You'd think they would, as the problem is not uncommon, but this is one of those mobile support issues cropping up these days.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Forum Guide Index nixer55 0 340 07-11-2018, 02:47 PM
Last Post: nixer55
  Remove Pictures from Quoted Posts - PC nixer55 0 164 07-11-2018, 02:35 PM
  I couldn't see pictures. Why? elevendarter 7 387 07-03-2018, 10:20 PM
  How to remove Pictures on Tapatalk Crusher17 9 1,011 06-21-2018, 07:59 PM
Last Post: mc1958
  Quoting pictures & posts vanJupp 25 1,993 06-21-2018, 07:58 PM
Last Post: mc1958
  How to post pictures on the Dartsnutz forum (PC + Mobile) joeriw96 9 1,175 05-31-2018, 05:05 AM
Last Post: Zazl
Star Tips for the Forum: Help the forum get better and check your image size ! Fred-180 42 15,067 10-01-2015, 09:39 PM
Last Post: Fred-180