Shot Viking Hammer 23g darts review

Video link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvOzNC1ud0c

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel:click here

Thanks to Shot for providing these darts for review. These are from the the new Shot Viking range and this is the Hammer model which is a front weighted dart. Its another nicely themed range from Shot and all the models in the range have the new Siege interlocking grip. These are the 23g version and they are also available in 24g, 25g and 26g in steel tip and 18g, 20g, and 22g in soft tip. They are 90% tungsten and have the nice Hi Tech particle gold coating. They retail for £69.95.

More info here: https://www.shotdarts.com/darts/viking-h...rrels.html

CONTENTS AND PACKAGING:

The darts come in the slimline Shot cardboard pack which is nicely illustrated with a viking theme. On the front is the info of the contents and on the rear is a little bit of info on the darts and the range. Inside is a dense foam insert holding the content. The darts are supplied with the Eagle Claw Inbetween clear black stems and a set of very nicely themed viking flights in small standard or N0 6 shape and they are fitted with etched points:

[Image: 1WlvHvg.jpg]

[Image: pmGohJP.jpg]

PICS OF THE DARTS:

[Image: UR6Ls5v.jpg]

[Image: TPKTc4Q.jpg]

[Image: CgrRI82.jpg]

[Image: Msavccq.jpg]

[Image: ukPEno3.jpg]

[Image: d8GXj47.jpg]

[Image: BREPh5z.jpg]

[Image: vnWUABd.jpg]

[Image: N8f11qq.jpg]

[Image: bcrYsYq.jpg]

[Image: ocbOyWf.jpg]

[Image: yaVJyix.jpg]

[Image: KQbQsoa.jpg]

[Image: GIxepg3.jpg]

[Image: MoziHU7.jpg]

[Image: kmZfCCr.jpg]

[Image: dAZkKxa.jpg]

[Image: fFwkEzO.jpg]

[Image: xYMB8rl.jpg]

[Image: pMEpmYM.jpg]

Its a front tapered dart with a wide tapered nose. The front section is made up of the Siege grip and then a small smooth part followed by the thin ring grip on the rear with the grooves cut through it. The front has a chunky feel to it and the Siege grip is about high medium. Its quite a busy style of grip with kind of scalloped rings that have a central groove through the middle and then small squares cut out and circular indents. It is difficult to describe but feels a little like lots of tiny edges. The rear is quite a lot thinner and still around a medium level grip and has a slightly hexagonal feel to it.

DIMENSIONS:

[Image: 033juUa.jpg]

WEIGHT:

Barrels were closely matched just two hundredths of a gram difference between lightest and heaviest:

[Image: 1I2AIoZ.jpg]

[Image: ATWIqkq.jpg]

[Image: ZagCIzf.jpg]

Weight of full setup as supplied:

[Image: XNfcXWX.jpg]

BALANCE:

With nothing attached the balance was towards the front:

[Image: 0TU1BUj.jpg]

With supplied setup it moved to centre:

[Image: LOiIIAM.jpg]

Balance with my own medium, inbetween, short and extra short nylon stems and standard flights:

[Image: Xfhomcn.jpg]

MY GRIP WITH THESE DARTS:

Right on the chunky front Siege grip:

[Image: u7hqSgt.jpg]

CONCLUSION:

Another well thought out theme for darts from Shot! This Viking one should be popular Smile

The darts have a great looking new grip which does look rather busy like I mentioned above but is intricately machined. Colouring is nicely done again too and I particularly like the flights that come with these, I know they are a Viking theme but they remind me of stained glass windows, really cool looking. Adding the etched points to match the carving on Viking boats is a neat touch too and provides a little extra gripping power in the board.

As these are a front weighted dart the balance certainly feels front heavy when throwing and now I have played with them for longer I found they work best for me with a more gentle lobbing style. The darts almost seem to power themselves to the board and its very satisfying when they hit the target although at first I was dropping just a little bit too low. I have got the hang of them now and they just feel super easy to throw.

I am not so sure about them fro middle grippers, they may be ok but for me they just did not feel quite right.

They felt a little better when throwing them with a rear grip but certainly felt more front heavy and suited the lobbing style even more I think.

As for the Siege grip itself I am not sure its really enhancing the throwing of the dart any more than other styles of grip as such, it just has an interesting feel that has a feeling of little edges in multiple directions but when throwing its closer to a medium level of grip. One of those grips thats difficult to describe and may have a different feel for others but seems to work well all the same, that is no issues with slipping and releases easy enough.

There is obviously a lot of machining in this barrel and its very well done so although still a pricey dart in light of recent increases I would say the value is about ok, certainly I am sure we would want them to cheaper though but quality is great again Smile

So a dart that should work best for front grippers but may be great for rear grippers if you like this style and may suit lobbers best overall.

Summary Ratings:

Looks: 8.5 (good)
Grip: 7 (1 to 10 Scale, 10 been severe grip)
Weight match: 9 (close)
Quality: 9 (great)
Value: 7 (ok but still pricey)
Suitability for me: 8 (worked well when I got the hang of them)

Best Feature: Grip and front balance Smile
If you are a guest browsing this forum, why not join up, we're a friendly bunch here and love to welcome new membersSmile Click HERE to join

Subscribe to my Darts Review Channel on Youtube: CLICK HERE

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

[Image: 87L1RR5.png]
When the stock photo's came out I wasn't too enamoured by these to be honest, I still won't be getting them but your pics make them look far better - have just added to the review index Smile
Awesome review as always Darren. mint

Have these coming in soft tip as I wanted a lower weight, now just the wait. Rolleyes Big Grin
Great review as always Darren, beautiful looking darts but my question with Shots anymore are they art or darts, just looking at the last 2 years of there releases the avg price is probably £60 plus, are these selling or for a few collectors ?
(08-14-2018, 04:14 PM)mc1958 Wrote: When the stock photo's came out I wasn't too enamoured by these to be honest, I still won't be getting them but your pics make them look far better - have just added to the review index Smile

Yeah like a lot of darts its sometimes best to get them in front of you to really see how they look but these are a very interesting grip design and much better in the flesh Smile Thanks Mike! Smile

(08-14-2018, 04:33 PM)Great White North Wrote: Awesome review as always Darren. mint

Have these coming in soft tip as I wanted a lower weight, now just the wait. Rolleyes Big Grin

Thanks Brad! Smile

(08-14-2018, 05:32 PM)Crusher17 Wrote: Great review as always Darren, beautiful looking darts but my question with Shots anymore are they art or darts, just looking at the last 2 years of there releases the avg price is probably £60 plus, are these selling or for a few collectors ?

Cheers Chris! I am not Shot so cant answer you properly but it seems in recent years all the brands are trying to make as much use of new cutting machines as possible so I would hazard a guess that anything is possible grip wise so whatever they can think they can make but then I guess they need to factor in just how much its worth going to extremes if the cost rises too much, cant say I envy the marketing/design guys really as a lot is down to the people buying them also and wanting ever more variety regardless.
If you are a guest browsing this forum, why not join up, we're a friendly bunch here and love to welcome new membersSmile Click HERE to join

Subscribe to my Darts Review Channel on Youtube: CLICK HERE

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

[Image: 87L1RR5.png]
Thanks for the review Darren. Nice darts for sure. For my taste a bit too much designed, as they look like there is a lot going on and it is just too much for me.
[Image: vVSMqoP.png]
Looks good! And Great Review Smile

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Busy design but still a very nice looking dart. And, as always great review Darren!
Liberal heathen
great review Darren, thanks for sharing.
Those points look great do you know if they sell them separately? The lazered points are great as they don't damage the board, but give that extra bit of grab... as I have some on my birds of prey harriers
(08-15-2018, 01:12 AM)blink180 Wrote: great review Darren, thanks for sharing.
Those points look great do you know if they sell them separately? The lazered points are great as they don't damage the board, but give that extra bit of grab... as I have some on my birds of prey harriers

Not sure they're in stores yet, but should be available soon.  Like the tribal points are now.  Here's a link to the points on Shot's site.

cheers...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Shot Ronin Yu 23g darts review Getagrip 44 9,465 08-18-2019, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Getagrip
  Shot Viking Drakkar 23g darts review Getagrip 26 4,143 06-18-2019, 04:28 AM
Last Post: Sultan Pepper
Information Shot Ronin Makoto : The Honest One 24g dart review Ryk 18 2,483 04-09-2019, 03:34 PM
Last Post: SlingBlade
  Shot Viking Berserker 23g darts review Getagrip 21 2,338 03-08-2019, 04:52 PM
  Shot Tribal Weapon 23g darts review Getagrip 43 15,643 02-09-2019, 03:59 PM
Last Post: holmesness
  Shot Warrior 3 24g darts review Getagrip 21 7,266 01-16-2019, 02:33 PM
  Bull's (NL)/Shot! Martin "The Wall" Schindler 25gr 90% Tungsten Darts Review copigme 16 1,862 01-07-2019, 01:57 PM
Last Post: copigme
  Shot! Warrior Hautoa 22gr 80% Tungsten Darts Review copigme 14 1,604 11-09-2018, 11:39 AM
Last Post: copigme
  Shot! and Shot Gear reviewed Darts mc1958 15 3,203 11-07-2018, 03:49 AM
Last Post: nixer55
  Shot Birds Of Prey Kite 23g darts review Getagrip 11 1,955 10-30-2018, 02:47 PM