CLEAN AND SHARP LIKE NEW AGAIN
(08-13-2018, 02:09 PM)Getagrip Wrote: Great buy at that price, when I clicked on the link I saw some more expensive ones which caught my eye simply because it mentioned you can clean glasses in them (specs), has anyone tried that and does it do any harm to them?

(08-13-2018, 11:54 PM)cubdog Wrote: What's the difference in cleaning ability between the $5.00, $25.00 and $100 ultrasonic cleaners? Has anyone compared the cleaning abilities of the $5 model to anything more expensive. I'm all for cheap but I also don't like to throw money at something only because it's really cheap.

Darren, it's safe. Many optical shops use them, but try not to dunk your 100L Macro in it!  Big Grin 

Besides, most of the these sub-20 GBP 'Ultrasonics' aren't ultrasonic at all. If it is, a Hertz number would have to be listed in the specs, usually 40 Hz and above. You can't produce an Ultrasonic cleaner for so little money. Most of the real ultrasonic portable ones start around 30 GBP plus, and go up to around 60 or 70 GBP, after which you have the larger capacity units.

BAD NEWS is what is being referred to in this thread are vibrating baths, using an off-set shaft motor, much like the vibrating and rotating motors used in sex toys, and are not Ultrasonic. 

GOOD NEWS is that a REAL Ultrasonic should NOT be used for tungsten, as it may cause micro-fractures, which may develop into internal cracks over time, and barrels may break on drop-outs. Also good news for Chris is his wife's jewellery is safe! Diamonds and many other brittle gemstones should not be cleaned in an Ultrasonic, besides tungsten jewellery. Look it up on Google, but most of the references are for jewellery cleaning. 

CAUTION is that the next time you see a 2nd hand dart that is very clean looking, and perhaps shiny, ask if it's been through real ultrasonics. If yes, avoid it unless it's really rock bottom prices, or a collectors item (since it won't be used and micro-fractures/internal cracks would not usually affect it). I suspect some 2nd hand barrels have been through Ultrasonics many times, as a vibrating bath will never get it looking so clean. I don't use Ultrasonics to clean or polish BTW. I use my left hand. 

CHEAP ALTERNATIVE to the money being asked here, is the good ol faithful nylon toothbrush and dishwashing liquid will works just as well, if not better (for really encrusted gunk). But there's no harm getting one of these really as they're so cheap, as sometimes, like for delicate or very fine jewellery, you don't want a lot of physical contact to clean it.

Hope this helps.

P.S. If you want these portable/jewellery Ultrasonicic cleaners, look on Ebay for the China listings (click Worldwide on the left column). They are usually below USD8 and some sellers offer free shipping if you're willing to wait.
I don't think there is anything 'natural' about throwing darts. A person does not naturally stand sideways, with weight more on one leg, lean forward and swing to launch a projectile repeatedly, day in, day out as part of daily routine. One does not even throw a rock or ball that way.    ~ With darts, everything has to be learnt, and refined.  Wink

What is NATURAL? http://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthread.php?tid=22147

A beginner - always experimenting and trying to learn! So I can fool around with loads of set-ups and techniques! Lol! Big Grin
AD this is some good advice here. It's what I've always used on my barrels, dish washing liquid.
Thanks for some clean advice buddy.
(08-14-2018, 02:27 AM)Ancient Darter Wrote: GOOD NEWS is that a REAL Ultrasonic should NOT be used for tungsten, as it may cause micro-fractures, which may develop into internal cracks over time, and barrels may break on drop-outs. Also good news for Chris is his wife's jewellery is safe! Diamonds and many other brittle gemstones should not be cleaned in an Ultrasonic, besides tungsten jewellery. Look it up on Google, but most of the references are for jewellery cleaning. 

Is this pure tungsten or tungsten alloys? And what is classed as "over time"?

I've had my ultrasonic cleaner for around 6 years and the C3's used to go in it every 2-3 weeks for the year or so I used them for my match darts.  In that time I had several bounce outs and the barrels are still good now.  I've also put loads of other barrels in the cleaner and they are all ok with no breakages as well.
(08-14-2018, 03:43 AM)SlingBlade Wrote: AD this is some good advice here. It's what I've always used on my barrels, dish washing liquid.
Thanks for some clean advice buddy.

No problems.

(08-14-2018, 05:18 AM)mc1958 Wrote:
(08-14-2018, 02:27 AM)Ancient Darter Wrote: GOOD NEWS is that a REAL Ultrasonic should NOT be used for tungsten, as it may cause micro-fractures, which may develop into internal cracks over time, and barrels may break on drop-outs. Also good news for Chris is his wife's jewellery is safe! Diamonds and many other brittle gemstones should not be cleaned in an Ultrasonic, besides tungsten jewellery. Look it up on Google, but most of the references are for jewellery cleaning. 

Is this pure tungsten or tungsten alloys? And what is classed as "over time"?

I've had my ultrasonic cleaner for around 6 years and the C3's used to go in it every 2-3 weeks for the year or so I used them for my match darts.  In that time I had several bounce outs and the barrels are still good now.  I've also put loads of other barrels in the cleaner and they are all ok with no breakages as well.

I'm not sure if there are any applications which uses pure 100% tungsten. I have no idea as the articles I've read do not state a timeline. It just cautions against using ultrasonic for tungsten, generally, or against using it for more than a minute if one has to.
I don't think there is anything 'natural' about throwing darts. A person does not naturally stand sideways, with weight more on one leg, lean forward and swing to launch a projectile repeatedly, day in, day out as part of daily routine. One does not even throw a rock or ball that way.    ~ With darts, everything has to be learnt, and refined.  Wink

A beginner - always experimenting and trying to learn! So I can fool around with loads of set-ups and techniques! Lol! Big Grin
OK thanks for that - I think I'll continue using it as I haven't had any issues yet myself, and I normally set it for 2-3 minutes at a time as well but I'll cut it down to 1 minute from now on though just in case Smile
(08-14-2018, 06:01 AM)mc1958 Wrote: OK thanks for that - I think I'll continue using it as I haven't had any issues yet myself, and I normally set it for 2-3 minutes at a time as well but I'll cut it down to 1 minute from now on though just in case Smile

Yeah, you could do the toothbrush liquid dish soap thing first and that would help tremendously. Thing is, different ultrasonics operate at different frequencies, so for X Tungsten alloy to be affected, it could be that the frequency of your ultrasonic is just outside the optimum damaging frequency envelope that may affect your particular set of match darts. And damage to metal is usually accumulative.

I don't think it's an issue here because members are getting a vibratory bath cleaner instead of an actual ultrasonic. It's really more like a Mini-Jacuzzi Spa Treatment for their barrels ... without the bubbles!   Lol

Fascinating information. Thanks AD!
Liberal heathen
may get one for me specs then Smile
If you are a guest browsing this forum, why not join up, we're a friendly bunch here and love to welcome new membersSmile Click HERE to join

Subscribe to my Darts Review Channel on Youtube: CLICK HERE

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

[Image: 87L1RR5.png]
Hello I have a question,
I have a lot of grip on my darts and after a while the grip fades out what I can do about this
What can I use better, hot water or nail polish?
I use a fingernail brush and washing up liquid, works perfectly for me.  Wink

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Best way too clean tungsten darts? Sharp180 12 18,423 05-08-2017, 12:51 PM
Last Post: portsetonloyal
  Best way too clean black tungsten Sharp180 3 1,214 05-08-2017, 12:50 PM
  Clean/wash darts?? Mattb0612 9 904 05-08-2017, 12:50 PM