I know one of you Nutz will be able to help...
Hi Nutz,

So this week in my league match, I was drawn to play against Bob. 

I saw Bob practising and thought ‘he’s alright, not great but alright’ I sat down with my team as the nights games began and one of my teammates began to tell me about Bob. Here’s what I found out:
1) Once when Eric Bristow played an exhibition match in our home town in the 80’s Bob played against him and beat him over one leg, Eric asked for a rematch and Bob beat him again! 
2) Bob played in the News of The World tournament in the 80’s and the second year he played he knocked out the reigning champion. 
3) Bob represented our county and was commonly known as being one of the best players in the area. 

My team mates told me all this before I played against him! Thanks lads! 

Anyway we played and I won, Bob was a lovely guy and afterwards started telling me stories of his darting past, about Eric and the day he beat him, but not in a big headed way, and ended with giving me advice for my darting life. 

My question/challenge to you Nutz is- are there any records of games in the NOTW tournament, is there anyway to find out who Bob played against?
[Image: 84EIGh2.jpg]
Google Bob "insert last name"
Agree with crusher, just google it

I believe you’re the one that just got into league darts? If so, some advice.... In darts people love to live in the past on how good they used to be (or think they were good) and you’ll hear lots of people talk a big game and not be very good. You won, so it doesn’t matter now but don’t let stories like that intimidate you or make you nervous. Just play your game

There’s a guy in my league that played against Phil Taylor, and I’ve beat him in every singles match we played over the 2 years I’ve been playing. He’s definitely a good player, used to be better... but also the only reason he played Phil Taylor was because it was the draw of a first round, and because it’s phil Taylor he was on tv... so sometimes you don’t hear the full story and might think “oh he played against Phil Taylor on tv, i have no shot”
Match darts - 22g Customs
Best 501 - 11 Darts
(08-11-2018, 02:44 PM)Crusher17 Wrote: Google Bob "insert last name"

First thing I tried, I’ve looked all over the place and can’t find anything for Bob.
As John says ignore all the stories from the good old days, just play your own game. I used to be decent back around the late 70's and early 80's as well, but pretty rank now though compared to back then lol (well ok for the leagues I play in, but not so good in competitions), so you shouldn't live on past glories.

As for the NOTW comp, do you know what years he was in and I'll have a look and see if I have an old Darts World that covered the events - not sure how many I have from the 80's, but I may have the relevant issues.
(08-11-2018, 03:15 PM)mc1958 Wrote: As John says ignore all the stories from the good old days, just play your own game. I used to be decent back around the late 70's and early 80's as well, but pretty rank now though compared to back then lol (well ok for the leagues I play in, but not so good in competitions), so you shouldn't live on past glories.

As for the NOTW comp, do you know what years he was in and I'll have a look and see if I have an old Darts World that covered the events - not sure how many I have from the 80's, but I may have the relevant issues.

Oh when I saw him practising I thought ‘he wouldn’t beat Eric playing like that!’ He was good back in the day but as with us all age has caught up with him.

All I was told was Mid 80’s so I’m guessing between 83 and 87 maybe?
What was his surname - please don't say Sinnaeve lol
Not sure I can help you unless it is Bob Sinnaeve.

Here is a list of the winners for each of the 1980's:

1979-80 Stefan Lord
1980-81 John Lowe
1981-82 Roy Morgan
1982-83 Eric Bristow
1983-84 Eric Bristow
1984-85 Dave Lee
1985-86 Bobby George
1986-87 Mike Gregory
1987-88 Mike Gregory
1988-89 Dave Whitcombe

Given the list above, if he had beaten the previous years winner in the first round my guess for the year would be either 1983 beating Roy Morgan, or 1986 beating Dave Lee - I'm sure the name would have been mentioned if he had beaten any of the other winners.

Sadly I've just had a look through my copies of Darts World and I only have the issues containing the results from 1982, 1984 and 1985, but not any of the others.

It may be worth contacting Patrick Chaplin and see if he has the results from either of these years - chances are they will be in the June 1983 and June 1986 issues of Darts World.
A while ago I was watching quite a few videos on youtube. Mostly NOTW. Maybe you can spot some info from these videos.
(08-11-2018, 04:14 PM)mc1958 Wrote: Not sure I can help you unless it is Bob Sinnaeve.

Here is a list of the winners for each of the 1980's:

1979-80 Stefan Lord
1980-81 John Lowe
1981-82 Roy Morgan
1982-83 Eric Bristow
1983-84 Eric Bristow
1984-85 Dave Lee
1985-86 Bobby George
1986-87 Mike Gregory
1987-88 Mike Gregory
1988-89 Dave Whitcombe

Given the list above, if he had beaten the previous years winner in the first round my guess for the year would be either 1983 beating Roy Morgan, or 1986 beating Dave Lee - I'm sure the name would have been mentioned if he had beaten any of the other winners.

Sadly I've just had a look through my copies of Darts World and I only have the issues containing the results from 1982, 1984 and 1985, but not any of the others.

It may be worth contacting Patrick Chaplin and see if he has the results from either of these years - chances are they will be in the June 1983 and June 1986 issues of Darts World.

Thank you for trying MC a +1 from me, , sadly it is not Sinaeve.

I will give Patrick a shout and see if he has any information. The plot thickens!