Tip for playing Cricket
Regarding going for bull partway through the game, there are a lot of guys who would get [insert adjective meaning irate] if you went for bull 'out of turn'. It's supposed to be last, after all. That's why it's at the bottom of the list.

I've seen guys start throwing at the bull in the first couple rounds. I don't see a problem with it, but am not sure I'd try to take it 'early'. I'd worry about wasting a dart by missing and not being lucky enough to to have the dart land somewhere else and still count.

Does anyone use NScore from nakka.com?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- If it don't fit, force it.  If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway.
- If it ain't broke, you might still be able to fix it.

"Maintain a solid 60.  What you do with your other two darts is up to you" -Unknown

My match darts:  21gm Harrows Wolfram Infinity, short nylon/Target Carbon Ti Pro stems, standard flights.
(06-12-2014, 02:31 PM)Beacon_Darts Wrote:
(11-19-2013, 02:47 PM)mc1958 Wrote: Quick question from someone who has not played the game:

Your opponent goes first and hits 3 big 20's (ie he closes it but doesn't score anything) - it's then your turn so would you try and close the 20's and risk only hitting 2 leaving him free to score on them next go, or would you go straight at the 19's?

If its their first three darts, and they just hit three 20's, I'm almost always going for 20's because I should be able to hit at least three, hopefully a trip with one of the first two darts, then go 19's. If I miss one, I'd drop to 19.

Too many times I've seen players drop to 19 right away, and have their opponent come back and nail them for 40 or 60 points, and they're in a big hole.

Playing "chase" is an extremely BAD idea no matter the skill level. Using your same exact scenario, what if you went single 20, single 20, then hit a bit fat treble 20 with the last dart? You've just wasted a perfectly good 5 mark with nothing to show for it. That 5 mark would of been MUCH better used on the 19's.

Never chase.
psych advantage if ya close the Bulls early IMO- I don't make a habit out of it but if ahead a bit and I know the player , I might throw the monkey wrench into his plans.
(07-04-2014, 12:04 AM)*Saber* Wrote: psych advantage if ya close the Bulls early IMO- I don't make a habit out of it but if ahead a bit and I know the player , I might throw the monkey wrench into his plans.

So true. Plus I feel I can hit the bull/25 at will with my last dart most of the time. Since I've already thrown 2 darts I have a rhythm going so when I take aim at the center of the board I find it much more easier then if I HAVE to go at the bull with all 3 darts. It's very easy to screw yourself at the end of the game and you need just bulls. 1 very well thrown dart can totally block you out and make it next to impossible to hit the 25/bull with your 2nd and 3rd darts.

When I play cricket I get rid of the bull early 99% of the time. It's worth a lot more then the 16 or 15 anyway. A 2 mark on the bull takes a 4 mark on the 16's and 15's to beat it.
(07-04-2014, 12:34 AM)Cyanide Wrote: 1 very well thrown dart can totally block you out and make it next to impossible to hit the 25/bull with your 2nd and 3rd darts.

LIES! Scoot a foot or two left or right. You can always open up up a target.
-Milky

Keeping dart retailers in business since 2012.
[Image: DODLCOMPETITOR1_zpsff2d8071.png]
(07-04-2014, 01:14 AM)Milkysunshine Wrote:
(07-04-2014, 12:34 AM)Cyanide Wrote: 1 very well thrown dart can totally block you out and make it next to impossible to hit the 25/bull with your 2nd and 3rd darts.

LIES! Scoot a foot or two left or right. You can always open up up a target.

Or you could avoid all that scooting and get those bulls closed earlier Wink
I find cricket makes you learn to scoot. You often need to open up a treble.
-Milky

Keeping dart retailers in business since 2012.
[Image: DODLCOMPETITOR1_zpsff2d8071.png]
Another tip- I know a lot of players and I ask them what number do you dislike the most. After closing the 20's I go immediately to that number to close it. Also their fav number is on my list. I know one player you take away 17's and you can see his face change immediately.
One thing that's helpful is looking up Dartslive videos on youtube and watching the Japanese soft tip pros play cricket. The videos have great picture-in-picture so you can track the scoring. When I first started playing Cricket I watched tons of those videos just to figure out strategy.

Like others have said, try not to get too wrapped up into triples if you're not a high percentage triple thrower. I know of a few guys that will chug right along hitting fat singles and end up beating a lot of better players because they're too focused on triples and end up hitting other triples. You would be surprised how successful you can be by just hitting 3 marks a round consistently.
Cricket is the main game we play here. I'm interested in just being able to throw better, not necessarily for a specific game.

However, what would be a good gauge to where a player is at in terms of skill? When I practice, I basically count how many turns it takes me to close everything out. Best so far is 8. Not consistently, I haven't really be tracking that, probably should start. There are times where I just can't hit anything, and sometimes really struggle at bulls.

We also happen to be playing a house rule of no slop.
I'm a big fan of no slop. It requires honesty, though, which is sometimes in short supply.
26's so far this year: I've already lost count. :-)

bump
(10-12-2014, 01:48 AM)*Saber* Wrote: Another tip- I know a lot of players and I ask them what number do you dislike the most. After closing the 20's I go immediately to that number to close it. Also their fav number is on my list. I know one player you take away 17's and you can see his face change immediately.

Ive noticed a lot of players in our league in B division or lower HATE 18s. They can be money on 20s and 19s and 17s, but they cant hit 18s consistently.

You can definitely use your opponents likes/dislikes and strengths/weaknesses against them in cricket.
Current Match Setup:

DPC Gun Metal 25g w/ Voks Tornado points.

(12-19-2014, 05:00 PM)Beacon_Darts Wrote: Ive noticed a lot of players in our league in B division or lower HATE 18s. They can be money on 20s and 19s and 17s, but they cant hit 18s consistently.

On 20/19/17 you can be wild high or low by a couple of inches and still get a mark (or two). Not so with 18.
26's so far this year: I've already lost count. :-)

Ya right Brenthahn - many times if I trip the 20 I'll go straight to the 18 and if lucky enough to hit a trip straight to the 15, why the 15 ? because its on the same side of the board as the 18 and many players hate the 15 too. More games are won or loss on the 15 and 16 IMO. My fav triple is the 16.