Tip for playing Cricket
This book goes into the strategies of Cricket very well, many of which you've mentioned already.

http://www.amazon.com/Bar-Players-Guide-...+bar+darts

He also mentions a Darts Leader Ladder that the house keeps nearby the boards and lets others know who the Big Dogs are and keeps the competitive juices flowing. Does anyone here have a Leader Board/Ladder at their Pub?
I got that book, its more for the U.S. market but it was a good little read.
If you are a guest browsing this forum, why not join up, we're a friendly bunch here and love to welcome new membersSmile Click HERE to join

Subscribe to my Darts Review Channel on Youtube: CLICK HERE

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

[Image: 87L1RR5.png]
Here's my #1 tip for getting better at playing cricket. Before I start I want it to be known that I am 100% serious and am not joking in the least bit.

But if you want to be a better cricket player, spend 100% of your time playing 501. Go play at WDA if you have to or practice over on Dartman. But a couple games per day just isn't enough. You need to play at least 5 matches of best of 11 legs. Do this daily or as much as humanly possible according to work schedule/family etc... and in 6 months I PROMISE you will be a better cricket player. The reason being is you'll be a better overall dart player.

I hate to do the ole Brit comparison but let's face it, they produce some of the best players in the world. Same goes for Holland and a few other places. For example, years ago when Phil, Lowe, Priestley, etc.. used to come to the states and play they would still kick our butts at cricket even though they really didn't know how to play. They only play it when a tournament was going on. It's not like they were practicing cricket in their spare time.

So do yourself a favor, get playing, and get playing a bunch. Noticeable improvement doesn't come easy!!! You need to put some effort in if you want to improve. You think 1 hours practice before league and playing league is enough? Wrong! Like I said, put in some time online. Best of 3 and 5's WON'T do. Make sure you're doing best of 11's against a tough opponent and the results will come. In the end when you do decide to play cricket, you'll be a much better player.

Cheers.
Never played cricket, except with a bat and ball. Will have to learn it and give it a go sometime.
(04-07-2014, 07:41 PM)NylonRaider Wrote: Never played cricket, except with a bat and ball. Will have to learn it and give it a go sometime.

its a great change of pace
(04-07-2014, 07:39 PM)Cyanide Wrote: Here's my #1 tip for getting better at playing cricket. Before I start I want it to be known that I am 100% serious and am not joking in the least bit.

But if you want to be a better cricket player, spend 100% of your time playing 501. Go play at WDA if you have to or practice over on Dartman. But a couple games per day just isn't enough. You need to play at least 5 matches of best of 11 legs. Do this daily or as much as humanly possible according to work schedule/family etc... and in 6 months I PROMISE you will be a better cricket player. The reason being is you'll be a better overall dart player.

I hate to do the ole Brit comparison but let's face it, they produce some of the best players in the world. Same goes for Holland and a few other places. For example, years ago when Phil, Lowe, Priestley, etc.. used to come to the states and play they would still kick our butts at cricket even though they really didn't know how to play. They only play it when a tournament was going on. It's not like they were practicing cricket in their spare time.

So do yourself a favor, get playing, and get playing a bunch. Noticeable improvement doesn't come easy!!! You need to put some effort in if you want to improve. You think 1 hours practice before league and playing league is enough? Wrong! Like I said, put in some time online. Best of 3 and 5's WON'T do. Make sure you're doing best of 11's against a tough opponent and the results will come. In the end when you do decide to play cricket, you'll be a much better player.

Cheers.

well said
i need a new p.c. than a web cam
that has been on my todo list
i look forword to banging the board online
you only get better by playing better players
you count 180's
i'm counting money
     :usa:

bump for newbies
Bullseye News - Themonuclear Cricket Parts 1 & 2: http://www.bullseyenews.com/featured-art...1-a-2.html

You might be able to find the artlicles in their archive. I don't remember when they were published.

Point early and often. Keep your oppenent at a mark deficit - Think marks, not points.

Somewhere in one the the TNC articles, it hints at going for bull once 17 is open/closed. The idea being that a double bull scores more than treble 16.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- If it don't fit, force it.  If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway.
- If it ain't broke, you might still be able to fix it.

"Maintain a solid 60.  What you do with your other two darts is up to you" -Unknown

My match darts:  24gm Unicorn Phase 2 Purist, short nylon stems, standard Robson Plus flights.
(11-19-2013, 02:54 PM)uncle poop Wrote: Depends on who I am playing and who my partner is (we play pick up games). If I know I am playing a better player I will go at the 19's and try to point it. If I play a team that might not be too strong I will close the 20's behind them.

If playing a better team or player I would go at 19's and let's say by some miracle I hit a single and a treb giving me 19pts I will take that last dart and go at the 20's. The idea for me at least to go for points is not so much to be a joker but to make the other team waste darts trying to point back. giving them less darts to close out other numbers.

If playing an equal or not so good team I just close behind them. Hoping and kinda knowing there will be some misses allowing my team to catch up.

If I am unsure of the team I am playing I would go with the first scenario and go at the 19's and hope to point them.
If I were in this game, when I came up following your turn, since I am ahead in the game (20 closed ahead in points - 1 point) I'd close the 19 then go for the 18. I'd leave the board having two, maybe three frames closed, one point ahead and you having to close and score somewhere in order to gain the lead.
What you did was leave me ahead when you abandoned the 19 with only four marks.
(11-19-2013, 02:47 PM)mc1958 Wrote: Quick question from someone who has not played the game:

Your opponent goes first and hits 3 big 20's (ie he closes it but doesn't score anything) - it's then your turn so would you try and close the 20's and risk only hitting 2 leaving him free to score on them next go, or would you go straight at the 19's?

If its their first three darts, and they just hit three 20's, I'm almost always going for 20's because I should be able to hit at least three, hopefully a trip with one of the first two darts, then go 19's. If I miss one, I'd drop to 19.

Too many times I've seen players drop to 19 right away, and have their opponent come back and nail them for 40 or 60 points, and they're in a big hole.
Current Match Setup:

DPC Gun Metal 25g w/ Voks Tornado points.