Flights, do they make that much difference?
It's  I'm new to darts and I have been experimenting with different flights, my technique isn't consistent at all but with some flights the dart seems to hit the board at upward angles.
Do flights really make that much difference to you?
 I play a little bit of golf and I could pretty much pick up any set of clubs and it wouldn't make that much difference to my game but I am finding with darts that even tiny adjustments seem to make a big difference.
I currently love these V Wing flights, so I bought a load, hopefully the picture works.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Not just the flights, it's the flight / stem setup with your darts and your throw.  Lots of good tips in the Beginners section - here's an example.
Yes, flights do make a difference. Even with the same stem, barrel, tips & style, the flights alone can make a huge difference.
[Image: ARJSu2G.jpg]
DAYTONA FIRE JP-01JP-02, DF-10, DF-11 & DF-01
(07-13-2018, 03:12 PM)nixer55 Wrote: Not just the flights, it's the flight / stem setup with your darts and your throw.  Lots of good tips in the Beginners section - here's an example.

Thanks, there's loads of good stuff here. It can all get a bit much but, this selection of articles is exactly the kind of stuff I'm after.
(07-14-2018, 02:03 AM)Spencerdl Wrote: Yes, flights do make a difference. Even with the same stem, barrel, tips & style, the flights alone can make a huge difference.

I wasn't sure how much was psychological, but definitely seems to be the case for me, a lighter smaller flight sends the dart almost uncontrollably through the air, like throwing a live chicken at the board! Not that I've ever done that.
After good form the stem/flight combo make or break a darts performance. Yes, it makes that MUCH of a difference in my opinion.
Target Raymond Van Barneveld 9Zero 26gr
Unicorn Raymond Van Barneveld Phase 2 25gr
Unicorn Raymond Van Barneveld Phase 5a 24gr Natural
Unicorn Phase 3 24gr
Unicorn Keegan Brown 22g

Winmau Blade 5

As said above, flight/shaft combinations can make a great deal of difference in how darts work. On another note... just a personal thought, but I’d suggest sticking with and getting accustomed to the Standard shape when you’re new and starting out. When you’re used to it and you have your shooting under control, experimenting with different exotic flight shapes might be a good idea then, because you’ll have an established baseline (how standards work for you). When I was new to shooting, I found the temptation to try out every novel flight/shaft/accessory thing I could find to be irresistible. All I accomplished was pushing myself all over the place on unproductive paths. The only positive outcome of all my gimmick-trying antics was when I realized that the only thing that’ll improve my shooting is practice and more practice. At any rate--good luck with whatever you do and however it goes for you.
Flights are most effective on lighter darts and with a more parabolic throw. With heavier darts and harder throws, less so.
(07-14-2018, 11:18 AM)Irfan Wrote:
(07-14-2018, 02:03 AM)Spencerdl Wrote: Yes, flights do make a difference. Even with the same stem, barrel, tips & style, the flights alone can make a huge difference.

I wasn't sure how much was psychological, but definitely seems to be the case for me, a lighter smaller flight sends the dart almost uncontrollably through the air, like throwing a live chicken at the board! Not that I've ever done that.
You haven't??? By God man....lets get to it.......lol....just kidding. Big Grin
(07-13-2018, 03:12 PM)nixer55 Wrote: Not just the flights, it's the flight / stem setup with your darts and your throw.  Lots of good tips in the Beginners section - here's an example.

What he said Big Grin
[Image: 2e2gdae.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What a difference Baloos 16 439 09-19-2018, 05:33 PM
Last Post: woodmagnet
  The Difference in Tungsten EddieBell 11 796 07-15-2018, 03:34 PM
Last Post: Panos Limperidiss
  Weight difference between barrels in a set. Twenty-one 19 945 07-15-2018, 05:37 AM
Last Post: Phil D
  Make a list of commentators for the PDC... sjmattitude1982 15 2,678 06-12-2017, 05:01 PM
Last Post: Kosumo
  difference in blade 5/...dual core spiders ? El_duderino 1 517 03-12-2017, 12:03 AM
Last Post: Tormentor
  Small difference in flight - huge difference freedom35 5 635 03-10-2017, 07:00 PM
Last Post: Jefferz
  Need To Know the Difference pugtato 3 513 03-09-2017, 11:43 AM
Last Post: joeriw96
  The Difference between Novice-Pub- County and The Pros *Saber* 16 3,635 01-27-2017, 11:23 PM
Last Post: gumbo2176
  Make dartboard quieter?? Jamesr4300 20 5,867 01-07-2017, 05:11 AM
Last Post: Dynamite180
  Difference between Blade 4 and Dual Core? MitchWardle 15 7,066 03-06-2016, 03:30 PM
Last Post: MadMike4