Unicorn Noir - Jelle Klaasen - 22g - Review
Thanks to Unicorn and Edward Lowy I am now an owner of the Noir version of the Klaasen's. Big thanks again.

I got them for free, so I wll not make a judgement about the value, as it would be a little bit difficult, when I have not actually spend the money for them.

They retail for £94.95 and are sold in the new Deluxe packaging. So I will start with a few words about it.
It is a really nice packaging. It looks and feels worthy and is something you like to put on display. For me there is really just one tiny design change, that I would have liked. I would have if the sticker with the weight would not have been on the front, it takes a bit away from the looks. Would have preffered it on the back or so, as it would look better than if you display the packaging. But that is really a minor thing.

[Image: WKVX3AP.jpg]

It is actually quite big, did not expect it to be that thick. 5.5cm, that is comparable to a proper book. Gives it a worthy feel for sure.
So the outside you just have seen is just a paper/cardbox thing, that is slipped around the actual box.

[Image: WLZw28Q.jpg]

The actual box is made out of cardbox, I would say and is covered with some sort of fabric. The fabric is a matt black and looks very nice. You obviously could now put this box on display and so the sticker on the paper outside would not matter, but notice that I got the impression that the fabric seems that kind that will show every bit of dust immediately. So I personally prefer the outer paper cover, as it is easier to keep dust free.
But of course no problem and I just wanted to mention it, as I noticed it.

[Image: zXZszVt.jpg]

And when you want to get your darts, you can just open the box up and will get a nice inside. It is probably a bit too wide unfolded to put it on display, but if you have the space, it does look good that way too. So you see, multiple options to put it on display. Compared to the Target luxuruy package on the Daytona Fire's it is a bit more versatile to display. And as there is nothing standing out, you can put it on every side, just how you like it. So well done.

[Image: QmiU51G.jpg]

[Image: JKJQHui.jpg]

[Image: Lt9NUpF.jpg]

From left to right.

On the left you have basically a description of the darts you bought and what you all get. Yes, there is the tiny mistake in the text, that the Klaasen's come with a signature, when there is none on the actual barrel. But I guess it is a mistake in the text and not in the machining of the darts. But also no biggie.

[Image: aALfYNq.jpg]

In the middle are your darts and the accessories.
The darts come in a little foam tray and you can take it out and below you will find the extra flights and stems. You can read it the picture above, what you get.

[Image: bfy3vXm.jpg]

[Image: yBU7lvc.jpg]

[Image: C8XVw44.jpg]

And on the right side there is a collage of pictures of Jelle Klaasen and a little bit of history about him. Again nicely done.

[Image: vMVVSLb.jpg]

So it is definetly a very nice packaging. It seems well made and good quality and is just a nice thing to have. It will look good on display, but is also easy to store away. It is a very nice way to present a set of darts. If I have not miscounted you get around accessories worth around £7 with it, that you do not get in the normal packages. 3 sets of flights and one set each of the new Gripper and alu stems. Personally this packaging is the best in the mass market right now, due to the multiple ways to put it on display, I prefer it over the Target packaging of their luxus sets like the Daytona Fire's or the limited Taylor darts.

Now I personally think, as a customer, that I would have preferred to keep this new packaging exclusive for certain special ranges like the Noir range. For me personal it should not be used for the standard and natural version of a set, it just increased the prices in my eyes too much for a "normal" set of darts like the Anderson Phase 3. For a special range it is okay, so that as a customer, you can choose between the cheaper standard version and a higher premium version, that than comes with a coating and the great packaging. But that is just my opinion.

With all accessories I personally would rate the value of this packaging at £10. This is what I personally believe it is worth and adds to the value of a set.

So a lot of words used and not even started talking about the darts. But I think it is only fair to try to repay the generosity of Unicorn with an extensive presentation/ review of this edition.

Okay, I got already the DNA version of the Klaasen darts. And as you may have read on the forum, there is a design difference between both versions. The Noir (and the natural) version have a "Vapour blasted nose", while the DNA version does not have one.

So I was obviously curious how it would feel. I have tried sand- or shotblasted darts before and it was always a slight, but nice change to the texture of the dart.

But first a few quick works about the quality of the Noir version. Dimensions again were as stated in the Book of Darts. Weightmatch was very good, taking the Vapour blasting into consideration all three darts within 0.05g. Very good!

[Image: wsPRLGG.jpg]

You see something?
Yes, the front is more grey-ish than dark and has a kind of used look. That is obviously down to the vapour blasting. I just point this out, because the stock pics, give another impression. On the stock pics, the front looks darker than the rear. You can also see this on the picture that Colin Hunter posted here.

I am an experienced dart buyer to know, that stock pics of coated darts are often looking different, than the reality, so it is not an issue, but I can imagine that other people, who do not know about this kind of stuff might be disappointed, when they see the darts in real and they look different to what they saw in the stock pics.

But in the end I think they are a good looking set of darts.

Let's talk about grip. And as I have learned the joy of anticipitation is the best joy, I will talk about the front last. Tongue
All what I am now describing is my personal experience and can be different for other persons.

[Image: rfIxYFI.jpg]

The rear features again two slightly "curved" rows of what I call Y-Grip.
Compared to the DNA version it does feel less grippy and I had not a lot of grip to start with. On the DNA version it was a noticeable difference in the surface of the dart, but not one that offered much grip and resistance.

With the Noir coating it got less grippy or worse. There was nothing that stopped my fingers on them, it was just a sliding over, even when I pressed my fingers on the barrel with as much pressure as I could they would glide forward with ease. The Y-Grip would only offer the faintest feel of resistance and was really not very noticeable. My impression is that the black Noir coating is thicker than the DNA coating and does fill the Y-Grip more up and therefore makes them less noticeable. And the Noir coating seems to have some sort of natural slippery to it. So I must be honest and say that there is nearly no grip on the rear. (Griplevel: 1 out of 10)

In the middle of the barrel is a narrowing with some rings and grooves in it. I would say, it feels a tad less grippy than on the DNA version, but is still the grippiest part of the barrel. If you are a middle gripper and you can get on with scallops, this is a nice spot to grip them. (Griplevel: 5 out of 10)

And now the front/nose.

[Image: Kdy589h.jpg]

It was not easy to get a pic of the front, that showed the grip and all how it looks to me and not gives it a different look. The pic above show it how it looks to me.

It looks grey-ish and I would describe it as a kind of used look. The nose looks battered and like the natural tungsten is starting to shine through. It also looks a bit blunt.
I like the look of it. But it is obviously not about looks.

Well, I am not a natural front gripper, so with me testing the dart and the grip from the front, it always feels a bit wrong to me, but that should influence how the grip felt to me. But I will not tell you how they flew from there for me. Cool

On the front I have to make a big difference. Light pressure and a lot of pressure.

"What is the idiot now talking about?", you might ask.

So I noticed that when I just hold them on the front (without pressure), that it felt smooth. Not natural tungsten smooth, but slippery smooth. I could slide along the barrel with no resistance. Low grip. (griplevel: 1 out of 10)

But when I applied pressure holding them at the front, it suddenly was grippy. Not to give a wrong impression, it went not to a 10/10 griplevel. But it went to low medium level of grip. (Griplevel: 4 out of 10)

It was interesting. One important question will be the wear of the coating in general and on the front. I think as there is not a lof of physical and protruding grip the wear should be limited. The front already looks battered, so I doubt you will notice any wear on there. But it is a coating and it will show wear, so remember that, when you decide which version you buy, if you are interested.

It also will be interesting how the Vapour blasting on the front holds up and how quick the changed texture will wear down. Again with nearly no physical grip on them the wear should be a bit slower.

In the end, I think that this is a dart, that says "I am made for rear and middle grippers."
The design is obvious on that regard, you can throw them as a front gripper, but I personally think, that you really should think well about purchasing them, if you are a front gripper and you want them for throwing. It is a special dart, that is kind of unique and different to other darts.

Rear and middle grippers should be okay with the design, but I will say something about my opinion on the Noir version later.

So nearly finished, but not quite yet.

I have to talk about the balance.

I have the DNA version in 22g as well. The DNA version is drilled out 8.54mm. (Don't be to accurate on those number, around 8.5mm should be close enough)

I actually nearly did not bother to measure the Noir version. Same dart, same weight, I did not think, that there would be a difference.
How wrong I was.
The Noir version is drilled out 12.6mm.

This enough to be a noticeable difference. I only can guess, that it is down to the black coating, that is heavier than the DNA coating, which is also the general feel I got.

So basically the Noir version is a bit more front weighted than the DNA version, it is no big difference, but it is something that you can notice, when throwing.

That is all I have to tell you about the Jelle Klaasen Noir darts in 22g. Now I come to my conclusion. My personal opinion about them.
I can say it in one short sentence: I like the DNA version a lot more

For me the DNA version is the better dart. The grip level is higher and better. The Noir version feels slippery at the rear and just was not nice to throw. It is a struggle to me to try to throw them, without "loosing" them when throwing. Of all the things that a dart can feel, slipping is probably the worst. As you feel that you just can't control them and there is really nothing you can do against it.

Both versions are not overyl grippy, but the DNA version felt stable in my fingers. No slipping on them for me.

I grip the darts at the rear with my thumb and my forefinger and rest my other fingers on the barrel. (Except the little finger)
So my ring finger rests on the front on these darts, but without any pressure on it. You can guess what this means on the Noir darts. My ring finger was actually moving a little bit and that is really annoying for me.

The DNA version did not have one of these problems to me, so they are obviously the better dart for me.

The Noir version looks nice and comes in a great packaging, but I am just not sure they are the best version for throwing. So if you are a rear or middle gripper, get the DNA version. You don't need the Vapour blasted nose and you save money.

For front grippers, it is obviously more difficult. I would say that the Vapour blasted nose makes a little difference in the feel of the front, so you might wanna have it. Without throwing, just based on the negative feeling of the Noir version, I would tend to say, that you better try the natural version. But I have not thrown that version, so it is really just a guess and not a profound advise.

For collecting the Noir Klaasen's are a very nice dart. Throwing was not that great for me, but it happens and is normal. Not every dart, works for everyone. I am sure there are people out, who will enjoy the Noir Klaasen's a lot.

[Image: 6x7lrn5.jpg]

[Image: DkArl6M.jpg]

[Image: oJxcfuo.jpg]

[Image: B6PaYzq.jpg]

[Image: SpRJonH.jpg]

[Image: EwAtm1X.jpg]

[Image: hG1USOv.jpg]

[Image: DbOgNWq.jpg]

[Image: umM4DNT.jpg]

[Image: EZ7zzmA.jpg]

[Image: SoT6nU5.jpg]

[Image: m5RIZf1.jpg]

[Image: K1hxxgw.jpg]

[Image: 1VGLKS7.jpg]
[Image: 5hSbJOJ.png]
Will read the review later as the footie is about to start, but thanks for posting - well out of my price range anyway, but a great looking set of arrows. Have just added to the review index as well Smile
Thanks for the great review. I'm a sucker for most high density darts, but these just have too many negatives - lack of grip, big front lip and price. I could care less about the packaging and the extra flights and shafts - sell me the barrels only in a plain paper bag and knock £10 off the price.

I think the difference in the depth the Noir version is drilled out vs the DNA version is strange. By my quick calculation, the 4.1 mm difference should lead to the Noir version being about 0.95 grams lighter than the DNA version (I do not believe the coating adds any significant weight). You didn't include the barrel weights in your review, but I am curious to know how they compare to the DNA barrel weights.
(07-11-2018, 08:03 PM)bkbum Wrote: Thanks for the great review. I'm a sucker for most high density darts, but these just have too many negatives - lack of grip, big front lip and price. I could care less about the packaging and the extra flights and shafts - sell me the barrels only in a plain paper bag and knock £10 off the price.

I think the difference in the depth the Noir version is drilled out vs the DNA version is strange. By my quick calculation, the 4.1 mm difference should lead to the Noir version being about 0.95 grams lighter than the DNA version (I do not believe the coating adds any significant weight). You didn't include the barrel weights in your review, but I am curious to know how they compare to the DNA barrel weights.

Thanks. The difference in the barrel weight was about 0.2g. DNA were around 22.5g and the Noir's are all around 22.3g. So 0.2g to 0.25g difference in the barrel weight.

It is a strange thing about the different trill depth and I also personally doubt, that the black coating adds that much weight, but the feel and look of it seems to be, that it is a tad thicker. Not enough to measure any difference with a standard digital caliper, but maybe enough to make a difference.

(07-11-2018, 07:00 PM)mc1958 Wrote: Will read the review later as the footie is about to start, but thanks for posting - well out of my price range anyway, but a great looking set of arrows. Have just added to the review index as well Smile

Thanks, Mike.
Looks like that "vapour blast" will wear off pretty quickly. Also the fact that there is no signature laser engraved on the darts Is frustrating not that it matters if there is a signature or not but if it says it on the box it should be there. Especially if your paying £94.95 you want every little thing to help you justify spending that money
Moddarts
Harrows Wolfram 23g 
Shot Matador
Homemade surround and 360 led lighting
nice Review

but
the darts are so ugly
(07-11-2018, 08:25 PM)vanJupp Wrote: Thanks. The difference in the barrel weight was about 0.2g. DNA were around 20.5g and the Noir's are all around 20.3g. So 0.2g to 0.25g difference in the barrel weight.

I presume you meant 22.5g and 22.3g Wink
(07-11-2018, 08:43 PM)bkbum Wrote:
(07-11-2018, 08:25 PM)vanJupp Wrote: Thanks. The difference in the barrel weight was about 0.2g. DNA were around 20.5g and the Noir's are all around 20.3g. So 0.2g to 0.25g difference in the barrel weight.

I presume you meant 22.5g and 22.3g Wink

Of course. Just came back from a run and my brain is still a bit low on oxygen. Tongue
Just read it before extra time starts lol - good review - can't remember if I gave you a +1 earlier, but worth another anyway if I had lol - thanks once again Smile
I think this is an excellent review. A giant +1 for doing a run! And oh yea great review. Did I already say that?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Unicorn Gary Anderson Premier Phase 3 23g darts review Getagrip 74 47,442 Yesterday, 02:06 AM
Last Post: dramamini
  Unicorn Noir Gary Anderson 25g darts review Getagrip 35 3,634 09-20-2018, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Getagrip
  Unicorn Contender Kyle Anderson 23g darts review Getagrip 28 30,700 09-19-2018, 10:50 AM
Last Post: sjmattitude1982
  Unicorn Contender Devon Petersen 22g darts review Getagrip 11 260 09-16-2018, 02:24 PM
  Unicorn Barneveld Phase 5 Purist 25g darts review Getagrip 75 47,022 09-13-2018, 02:25 PM
Last Post: codo180
Rainbow Unicorn 2016 Neon 24g darts review Getagrip 47 26,742 08-22-2018, 06:20 PM
Last Post: Jusa73
  Unicorn Jelle Klaasen World Champion Natural 20g darts review Getagrip 19 2,136 08-14-2018, 02:45 PM
  Unicorn Jelle Klaasen 21g Silver Star review The Jester 37 1,918 07-24-2018, 07:45 AM
Last Post: The Jester
  Unicorn Super True White 23g darts review Getagrip 12 1,309 06-04-2018, 02:28 PM
  Unicorn Michael Smith Phase 2 24g darts review Getagrip 12 3,792 05-26-2018, 11:15 PM
Last Post: Richa