L-Style Flights and Shafts Review

Video link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZ5fqYDyu2Q

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel:click here

Thanks to L-Style for sending these for testing and review.  I actually reviewed a lot of L-Style gear a few years ago but after I had done the reviews and had them on my PC I had a blown PSU which affected the motherboard and hard drive.  I lost a lot of stuff then and not long after that my dad died so I never got round to doing them again.  So this review of the L-Style Flights and Stems has been a very long time coming!  Thankfully its finally done so hope its been worth the wait for the many people that have requested a review Smile

I am specifically reviewing the Champagne Flights and L-Shafts here.  I have some Carbon L-Shafts and the normal locked straight and slim shafts and the Silent.  The locked shafts are so called because they are a normal non spinning shaft and the Silent are a spinning version, guess its because they have a silent spin?  They are available in various lengths and colours as detailed below.

I have all the various shapes in the flights and most of the colours too and some extra Champagne rings. There is plastic and metal Champagne rings, plastic is best for use with soft tip and the metal is best for steel tip.  There is also some Back Balance rings which have a small amount of tungsten in them.

The Champagne Flights are for use with the specially shaped Champagne rings and they also work with the Shell Lock rings.  They can be used with any shaft but will work best with the L-Style L-Shafts. You can also use normal flights on the shafts if you wish.

There is more detail further down on the dimensions of the flights and shafts but a quick note on whats available for the shafts here first.  

The Locked Straight and Silent straight are available in 130, 190, 260, 330 which is the measure from around top of stem to about the base of flight and is 13mm, 19mm, 26mm, 33mm which is equivalent to extra short, short, inbetween and medium.  

The Locked Slim and Silent Slim are in 3 different sizes which are 300, 370, 440.

The Carbon Locked Straight are available in 2 extra sizes so six in total: 130, 190, 225, 260, 295, 330.

The Carbon Locked Slim are available in 300, 370, 440.

The Carbon Silent Straight are available in 130, 190, 260, 330.

The Carbon Silent Slim are available in 300, 370, 440.

The flights retail for £4.80
The Locked Straight and Slim Shafts retail for £4.20
The Silent Straight and Slim Shafts retail for £7.50
The Carbon Locked Straight and Slim retail for £12
The Carbon Silent Straight and Slim retail for £10.20
A pack of 6 Plastic Champagne rings retail for £1.92
A pack of 3 Metal Champagne rings retail for £1.92
A pack of 3 Back Balance Champagne rings retail for £4.80

CONTENTS AND PACKAGING:

The flights come in small plastic boxes and some of the flights come with a very neat little flight holder as shown below.  This was not in all the packs so I dont know if its a new addition but its quite handy to have.  I have posted further down the shapes and colours you can get.  The Locked Shafts come in small plastic bags.  The Silent Shafts are in small boxes with little plastic trays holding the shafts in place. The carbon shafts are in a neatly shaped box with a small plastic tray holding the shafts.  All the shafts come with plastic Champagne rings fitted.  Spare rings are sold in small plastic bags and available in various colours.

[Image: WBHBmSX.jpg]

[Image: k6si104.jpg]

[Image: NrAOBpn.jpg]

[Image: 5bt0KM8.jpg]

[Image: C6auGOL.jpg]

[Image: ilJGIvF.jpg]

[Image: 6A6D5Jd.jpg]

[Image: JHIArpm.jpg]

FLIGHTS AND SHAFTS IN DETAIL:

For my testing and this review I will be using the standard shape flights with the gold coloured metal champagne rings and the Carbon Silent Shafts 330.

The flights are made of a soft flexible plastic and this means they are as light as possible but the added flexibility helps with deflections and prolonging the flights lifespan.  The leading edge of the flights wings are slightly reinforced as well as part of the top edge.  This adds a little extra durability.  

The wings of the flights are a perfect 90° angle and the centre top has a built in flight guard.  

Just above the opening where the ring fits, the flight has a slightly thicker conical shape which marries up to the top of the ring to help prevent robin hooding.

The rings are shaped so they fit neatly over the top of the shaft and have a rounded top to help the prevention of robin hooding.  

The base of the flight is pointed for easier shaft insertion.

The shafts are neatly made with a easy insertion of flight but hold the flights securely.  The shafts also have a small built in triangular flight guard that lines up with the leading edge of the flights wings for added protection and lifespan.

Of course as these are a spinning shaft the fact the flights can spin/move on contact when in the board means it should help prolong the lifespan of the flight.  The spin is not a loose rattly kind but really only spins when sufficient force is applied.

The carbon lock shafts are 100% carbon fibre but the Carbon Silent I am using are a mix of plastic (polycarbonate?) with the spinning top being made of carbon fibre

[Image: 1Q2rsnD.jpg]

[Image: fR5DmpG.jpg]

[Image: Qoi69LA.jpg]

[Image: Ks89rn2.jpg]

[Image: LvrnwJc.jpg]

[Image: QGwv8SG.jpg]

[Image: vmLpLc7.jpg]

COLOURS AND SHAPES:

[Image: vu3d11l.jpg]

[Image: gxrLX8Q.jpg]

[Image: EtMevVP.jpg]

[Image: dfwRq5Y.jpg]

[Image: ga9weNP.jpg]

[Image: u0XLFzu.jpg]

[Image: Gac8e5a.jpg]

[Image: jmVlfpX.jpg]

[Image: 63WeKSW.jpg]

[Image: yz2VwF9.jpg]

[Image: xYxP2lt.jpg]

[Image: IiTBqaS.jpg]

[Image: Rj0TVVX.jpg]

[Image: 4bUqSnj.jpg]

[Image: 8YjkH68.jpg]

DIMENSIONS AND WEIGHTS:

[Image: XLPaunw.jpg]

[Image: TFcDkrg.jpg]

[Image: I7E2LFj.jpg]

[Image: s5bjOuV.jpg]

[Image: aMfuN3F.jpg]

[Image: 9bbleRa.jpg]

[Image: 5A3RVIa.jpg]

AFTER TWO WEEKS USE:

[Image: R63j4HQ.jpg]

[Image: Rc7OGtr.jpg]

CONCLUSION:

There is a lot of choice with this system in various shapes of flights and types of stem so I am sure there will be something to suit everyone.  I specifically wanted to test the Silent spin shafts as I figured they would be the ones that prolong the flights life the best and after two weeks of use I think they certainly do that.  My flights are usually in much worse condition after two weeks.

I was a little surprised that the carbon fibre locked straight is very slightly heavier than the same in the plastic locked straight but I think its not really just about the weight as such but more the fact the carbon fibre should be a longer lasting shaft.  So far I have only used the Silent Carbon shaft which has a mix of plastic and carbon fibre but I have had a few bounceouts onto a hard wood floor and no problems so far but I will continue to test with the straight locked version and report if any trouble happens.  I personally think its unlikely as the shafts seem very strong.

The built in flight guard on the shafts is a neat idea and one I think is probably more effective than we may realise as its such a small part but I think it helps prevent that tearing that sometimes happens as a dart meets another dart in the board.

The carbon shafts hold the flights well but I think the plastic version holds it a little tighter.

If you like less weight on the back of your dart then you may prefer to use the slim shafts, the plastic ones are more flexible than the carbon so that increased flex may also help with durability, but I guess its also possible it may flex too much and snap but I was able to bend them quite a way in the video.

I like the fact they have the metal champagne rings for steel tippers though, I think its a good idea to use these if your a steel tipper and they are not too expensive and should last well.  Plastic rings will be fine for soft tip.  Its also neat they made the back balance rings for those that may want a little extra weight on the rear.

There is plenty of choice in the colours but I thought the black set up with the gold rings was a neat look with the Aspria darts I was trying.  

In throwing the darts the shafts had no loose or rattly feel to them like some spinning shafts do and it just felt like I was throwing a normal non spin shaft.  I cant really say the set up made any advantage over another set up but it did feel good to throw and so far I am happy with how its performing.

The flights and shafts are very well made and prices are not too crazy for the carbon fibre versions especially if they last a while which so far I get the impression they will.  Obviously the flights are quite a bit more pricey than a bog standard poly flight.

I think if you want the longest lasting setup then I would go with the L-Shaft Silent version.

Overall then another nice system and one thats worth trying I think Smile
If you are a guest browsing this forum, why not join up, we're a friendly bunch here and love to welcome new membersSmile Click HERE to join

Subscribe to my Darts Review Channel on Youtube: CLICK HERE

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

[Image: 87L1RR5.png]
WOW. NICE thorough review with lots and lots of photos. WELL done once again Darren. This is one of my go to and favorite flight systems and I like it a lot. Thanks again. GREAT looking Dart Set and set up with the Winmau Aspria & Gold Champagne Cups.
[Image: ARJSu2G.jpg]
DAYTONA FIRE JP-01JP-02, DF-10, DF-11 & DF-01
(06-16-2018, 04:33 PM)Spencerdl Wrote: WOW. NICE thorough review with lots and lots of photos. WELL done once again Darren. This is one of my go to and favorite flight systems and I like it a lot. Thanks again. GREAT looking Dart Set and set up with the Winmau Aspria & Gold Champagne Cups.

Thanks mate! Yeah I thought it looked good on the Aspria Smile
If you are a guest browsing this forum, why not join up, we're a friendly bunch here and love to welcome new membersSmile Click HERE to join

Subscribe to my Darts Review Channel on Youtube: CLICK HERE

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

[Image: 87L1RR5.png]
Great review as usual with super good photos...A couple times I caught myself thinking that I had navigated over to their web page, except for the fact that your review is far more detailed and informative than their website.  Lol
Great information - Like the flip up to protect the leading edge of the flights engineered into the shafts.

Will be interesting to see how well the trailing edge of these flights hold up.
Ryk is currently using:-
 鈴木 未来  Jadeite 24g
::  L-Shaft Locked Slim 300 Emerald :: Metal Champagne Ring Aqua :: - L-Flight Dimple Solid Emerald  :: Winmau Blade 6 ::
Lovely review Darren! Very comprehensive, and detailed that will help show the features of the system! I'm bit sure if it's said, but you could also use L shafts with folded flights and a cap system like the Shell Lock or Whizzlock.
I don't think there is anything 'natural' about throwing darts. A person does not naturally stand sideways, with weight more on one leg, lean forward and swing to launch a projectile repeatedly, day in, day out as part of daily routine. One does not even throw a rock or ball that way.    ~ With darts, everything has to be learnt, and refined.  Wink

What is NATURAL? http://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthread.php?tid=22147

A beginner - always experimenting and trying to learn! So I can fool around with loads of set-ups and techniques! Lol! Big Grin
Another excellent review. I'm already a convert to L Style gear and have been using the same set of 370 carbon slim's for well over a year with no breakages - very durable kit.
Excellent review Darren, i've just ordered short carbon locked & the black standards. are the champagne caps that come with the shafts metal or plastic ?
I was completely off the moulded flight/spinning stem bandwagon and now my cart is full of it. Thanks Darren.  igiveup
[Image: i6coee.jpg]
(06-17-2018, 12:11 PM)Vern61 Wrote: Excellent review Darren, i've just ordered short carbon locked & the black standards. are the champagne caps that come with the shafts metal or plastic ?

The Champagne Cups that come with the shafts are plastic.
[Image: ARJSu2G.jpg]
DAYTONA FIRE JP-01JP-02, DF-10, DF-11 & DF-01

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Harrows Supergrip Carbon Shafts Review Getagrip 19 1,753 05-07-2019, 03:28 PM
Last Post: SlingBlade
  Target Ten X Darts Flights Review Getagrip 10 651 01-26-2019, 06:12 PM
Last Post: Getagrip
  L Style Premium Lippoints Review Getagrip 23 1,155 01-08-2019, 03:27 PM
  AFS Dual Extractor Tool Review To Remove Broken 2BA NO5 AFS M3 Darts Shafts and Tips Getagrip 2 614 12-02-2018, 10:19 AM
  L Style Gomu Shaft Tightener review Getagrip 14 2,682 11-24-2018, 10:40 PM
Last Post: Kevin Bell
  L Style Krystal One Case and L Style L Case review Getagrip 18 3,336 11-20-2018, 02:38 PM
  Cusoul Rost Integrated Stems and Flights Review Getagrip 12 3,025 09-26-2018, 01:39 PM
Last Post: donnie
  Accurate Dart AFS Product Update Review New Flights and Stems tested Getagrip 2 894 08-22-2018, 04:04 PM
  L-Style Bull Extractor review Getagrip 11 2,177 07-22-2018, 04:48 PM
  Harrows Clic updated review on new standard stems and improved flights Getagrip 42 13,955 01-03-2018, 04:26 PM
Last Post: GreenDart180