Why change dart points?
Is it predominantly an aesthetics thing? I can see why someone may try reflex points to reduce bounce outs, but for storm points etc is mostly just for the look?

I mostly ask as I think I've finally settled on a dart set up, so one of my great procrastinations (looking and and buying different barrels) has been taken from me. So of course all there is to do now is buy a repointer, some paint and get customising!
I prefer the shape of plain Unicorn points. They're not as sharp as other brands.

Most of my darts have their original points though. But, sometimes it just has to be done for aesthetics.

What repointer will you get?
[IMG]Only available to view for active members with 5 or more posts click register to join Smile [/IMG] Register
(06-13-2018, 06:01 AM)Sultan Pepper Wrote: Only available to view for active members with 5 or more posts click register to join Smile
Register
A few examples as to why some change points:

Some say that storm points reduce deflections for them (and, as you say, bounceouts as well). I'm not interested in storms myself as they have a reputation for breaking and I don't own a repointing machine, but storms do have their supporters. 

Others like grooves in the points as a reference point for their grips. I'm in the opposite camp - if I were buying a set with grooves in the points, such as Gary Anderson Phase 3 or any of the Unicorn Gripper darts, I'd have the points swapped out at the point of purchase, because grooved points are weaker and prone to breaking and again, I don't own a repointer.

And others will swap out Unicorn silver factory points right away because of the Keegan Brown effect (see video below). One of my family members throws Unicorn Stefanie Luck darts and had a horrible problem with this until I scuffed the hell out of the points for her. I have a set of Winmau Kevin Painters and had a similar problem, so it isn't just Unicorn, but from everything I can tell Unicorn is the one that has this problem most often.

[video=Only available to view for active members with 5 or more posts click register to join Smile ]Only available to view for active members with 5 or more posts click register to join Smile [/video] Register
Started playing: April 1990 at the Irish Harp in Berlin
Match darts: Winmau Kevin Painter 22g, 35mm ringed nylon stems, standard flights
2018 best 501: 18 darts
2018 high finish: 121
2018 180s: 4

I fit storm points to many of my Darts as the taper gives my finger a reference point.
Don’t like scuffing points so always replace silver points even if it’s only with plain black ones.
[IMG]Only available to view for active members with 5 or more posts click register to join Smile [/IMG] Register 
Current Board 
Gladiator 3 with Corona Surround and Unicorn number ring
Darts
23 Gram Modified ONE80 Comets with black points, Pro Grip stems, punched RD Hardcore flights with Target titanium stem rings                      

If you can hit the target when your arse is hanging out you are a great player 

PB since re starting playing in 2014. 15 darts May 25th 2015  and  equalled May 25th 2016                                                           
I use darts right out of the box and I wouldn’t change points unless they broke.
Storm points also stop flights getting damaged as often because there's no lip from the barrel hitting the top of the flight the same reason this reduces deflections
I prefer longer points. Makes the barrels land further away from the board and not block the bed.
Proud Dart Tart
In the case of K Brown I think the problem has to do with the "chucker"his throw is possibly not as strong/hard as others some one like S Whitlock who really thuds "em in possibly wouldn't have the same bother I find with my throw Black points stay in the boards better but also have a feeling that boards vary in density & seem to find Unicorn boards vary in my opinion more than other brands
Silver points barely stay in at all on my G3 and it’s a little softer than my G2 was.
Current Board 
Gladiator 3 with Corona Surround and Unicorn number ring
Darts
23 Gram Modified ONE80 Comets with black points, Pro Grip stems, punched RD Hardcore flights with Target titanium stem rings                      

If you can hit the target when your arse is hanging out you are a great player 

PB since re starting playing in 2014. 15 darts May 25th 2015  and  equalled May 25th 2016                                                           
I like grooved points for the grip reference, but use the etched kind, not machined like storms.  Haven't broken any yet...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Identify these mystery rotating dart points Maxfields 12 312 08-24-2018, 10:42 AM
Last Post: bkbum
  DART POINTS tiddler.tec 7 318 07-24-2018, 01:38 AM
Last Post: bkbum
  Dart points Dan Gerwen 1 400 04-15-2017, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Crusher17
  Will Target Diamond points fit my dart? glace 2 747 01-18-2017, 11:23 AM
Last Post: MadHouse Darts
  How are dart points measured? chauncygreen 7 3,238 02-17-2016, 01:56 PM
Last Post: chauncygreen
Question Dart points and weights LorenzoParedes26scored 4 1,099 02-17-2016, 04:08 AM
Last Post: LorenzoParedes26scored