"The Ones" - A myth
I'm sure your correct on many points, however if you have confidence in a set then it does make a difference IMO
Very thought provoking post.  Smile
Kevin a.k.a. "Sniper".  Moddarts
I for one have one or two sets that I really feel comfortable with, they fly without fish tailing and release cleanly and I’m quite certain of never being a very good level player.
However, I love to try lots of different Darts and enjoy myself doing it never expecting to suddenly find the miracle dart..
But maybe............
p[Image: GEpKdcf.png] 
Current Board 
ONE80 Gladiator 3 with Corona Surround and Unicorn number ring
Darts
Modified Unicorn Striker with RD medium sparkle stems, hardcore  charcoal flights and Target titanium stem rings   

Playing 40 years on and off and still barely average                 

(09-03-2018, 04:56 PM)Maddartigan Wrote:
(06-10-2018, 07:10 PM)Ryk Wrote: Once I dedicate a new set of darts to Nergal, Mesopotamian God of Death - They are The One.

Then, it's all down to me to throw the remaining 500...

Always nice to hear from a fellow Nergal worshipper. Seems there's not too many of us around anymore.

Anyway, I'm no expert but I've been going at this from a different angle. I found "The One" set that I couldn't miss with, but they were borrowed and the owner wouldn't part with them. So I've been trying to match the dimensions of "The One". So, I bought some sets that were similar but not "The One". So that brings me to another dilema: How do you guys that have multiple sets resist the urge to switch darts multiple times a day? I'm trying to commit to one set, but it's a constant struggle to neglect my other sets.

we can't resist, i find the one around 3 or 4 times a day but i do have over 100 sets of barrels, yep i'm Nutz
rod dog Angel
Agree with the original post entirely (though it took me a long time to come to that view. Nothing wrong with a bit of tinkering but I think you learn more about your preferences by sticking with one set for an extended period. Once I did that I got a better idea at what my preferences were. For me, its anything around 24g, straight barrel, bull nose with a medium ring grip. Under 51mm in length seems to work the best over the long haul. Short stems and standard flights. Probably about as 'vanilla' as it gets. It isn't that I can't run hot with something else but I feel I have a 'B' game with my preferred set up. I still throw rubbish from time to time but my "preferred" spec, I can make work most of the time. I might not set the world on fire but on a Wednesday night I can win with it. That gives me confidence. Funnily enough you'd think my set up gives me lots of options and it does but the one thing I am picky about is diameter. Under 6.35mm is a must.
(09-04-2018, 12:24 AM)Toosum Wrote: Agree with the original post entirely (though it took me a long time to come to that view.  Nothing wrong with a bit of tinkering but I think you learn more about your preferences by sticking with one set for an extended period.  Once I did that I got a better idea at what my preferences were.  For me, its anything around 24g, straight barrel, bull nose with a medium ring grip.  Under 51mm in length seems to work the best over the long haul.  Short stems and standard flights.  Probably about as 'vanilla' as it gets.  It isn't that I can't run hot with something else but I feel I have a 'B' game with my preferred set up.  I still throw rubbish from time to time but my "preferred" spec, I can make work most of the time.  I might not set the world on fire but on a Wednesday night I can win with it.  That gives me confidence.  Funnily enough you'd think my set up gives me lots of options and it does but the one thing I am picky about is diameter.  Under 6.35mm is a must.

24 gram under 51mm long but narrower than 6.35 sounds like a narrow niche. Almost have to be 95-97 percent and even then I don't know of any.
(09-04-2018, 05:34 AM)Maddartigan Wrote:
(09-04-2018, 12:24 AM)Toosum Wrote: Agree with the original post entirely (though it took me a long time to come to that view.  Nothing wrong with a bit of tinkering but I think you learn more about your preferences by sticking with one set for an extended period.  Once I did that I got a better idea at what my preferences were.  For me, its anything around 24g, straight barrel, bull nose with a medium ring grip.  Under 51mm in length seems to work the best over the long haul.  Short stems and standard flights.  Probably about as 'vanilla' as it gets.  It isn't that I can't run hot with something else but I feel I have a 'B' game with my preferred set up.  I still throw rubbish from time to time but my "preferred" spec, I can make work most of the time.  I might not set the world on fire but on a Wednesday night I can win with it.  That gives me confidence.  Funnily enough you'd think my set up gives me lots of options and it does but the one thing I am picky about is diameter.  Under 6.35mm is a must.

24 gram under 51mm long but narrower than 6.35 sounds like a narrow niche. Almost have to be 95-97 percent and even then I don't know of any.
Not really.  If the grip isn't too fancy a medium ring grip will be about right. Old 24g bristows from the 90's are about that.  I currently use Tommy's Fox8's and they come in under that.  No 95% there.  I misspoke.  Under 6.35 should have been around 6.35.
(09-04-2018, 12:24 AM)Toosum Wrote: Nothing wrong with a bit of tinkering but I think you learn more about your preferences by sticking with one set for an extended period. 

I think its the frequency of tinkering what is essential.
I would practice wtih every set as long as it takes to come to decent results and not change several times a day. If i have the time and leisure i can learn a bit from every barrel/flight/stem.

Perhaps i should have sticked to my very first set of darts and never changed...so i could have perfected my throw over the time. Who knows.

But i didnt. And that is good. With ~ 70 sets running through my hands i have learned a lot more and more about my grip and throw . And i have learned which shape, grip, weight, length, etc. suits me the most.
Nice side-effect...i think i can play a decent dart with almost every kind of barrel.
[Image: aviary-image-1546527737695-02.jpg]
(09-04-2018, 06:36 AM)theblindPew Wrote:
(09-04-2018, 12:24 AM)Toosum Wrote: Nothing wrong with a bit of tinkering but I think you learn more about your preferences by sticking with one set for an extended period. 

I think its the frequency of tinkering what is essential.
I would practice wtih every set as long as it takes to come to decent results and not change several times a day. If i have the time and leisure i can learn a bit from every barrel/flight/stem.

SNIPPED

I am in between, I believe you need one, then the other.

I definitely think a whole host of tinkering is a necessary step in development as then you know what shape/weight/grip works for you.  I've spend a lot of $$$ on this but honestly I think it's money well spent as now I'm done that phase.  I figured out what I felt most comfortable with and now I'm sticking with that one set/style for an extended period of time.

The tinkering has helped me put my mind at ease whenever I get distracted by new and shiny bits, because I can say to myself "nope, you tried a barrel like this before and this is what happened...."
I'm just a beginner so cannot say anything from experience but the concept seems strange to me also. Sure, you want to try different sizes, weights, shaft etc. but I believe there will be multiple "The Ones" that I will feel comfortable throwing. But as I already mentioned I am just starting with darts, so we'll see about that in the future Smile
My board: Gladiator 3
Good read/thread.

I'm still fairly new; I'm not on the quest for the perfect dart so much as I am figuring out rough shape/weight/style/dimensions of what works for me.
I have a few sets currently, and some days I swear I love one particular set, but then am horrible with it the next day and go back to a different set.
I've been buying several lower cost sets (still waiting on arrival!) to try some out.

I'm a runner, and this thread reminds me of runners who are constantly trying to find the perfect shoe. I'm a long time believer that as long as you don't get something extreme and are a pretty typical runner, your body/stride will adapt to whatever you wear. I think it's probably similar with darts; you can learn to throw well with many typical sets.
I'm still looking for "The One", currently using straight barrels, I just don't get how people can throw these so consistently!! The barrel has no surface for me to push against despite all the heavy knurls and rings, a lot of slipping and energy wastage. Talking about Harrows Nemesis. I think I need a front-loaded + tapered dart. It takes a hell lot of effort to throw!!

Now looking at Shot Falcon type of barrels. I do believe a good player should be able to handle all kinds of barrels though, like how Phil Taylor can throw straight barrels and bullets equally well.

I like heavy knurls, gives me the feel of handling steel hand tools with knurls.