We need the Bdo to survive!
(06-02-2018, 06:45 PM)Phenohyte Wrote: I think the BDO product is just simply not marketable anymore. People don't watch or attend the big events, TV companies don't want to show it. Running the grassroots such as the county system and the opens work all right and they still get loads of entries. However, the tour can only be maintained, if there are incentives for the players to play for. So the big tournaments are needed to keep the tour together, but they are just losing money left right and centre.

Why do players at that level need a "tour" to begin with? That's the totally wrong model for an amateur sport. The World Masters has it right (inviting the winners of many local events), the Lakeside has it wrong (inviting players from a ranking list). Amateur sports need to be organized in decentralized fashion to make participation affordable - and success achievable - for everyone, not just for people who have the time and money to attend 20+ tournaments a year.

The worst thing for grass roots darts is the continued existence of BDO TV tournaments in general, and the Lakeside tourney in particular. Anyone who doesn't want to acknowledge that isn't interested in real solutions. (That last comment isn't directed at you, but at the general tenor of the thread.)
https://dartsnews.com/hearn-relieved-bdo...-of-money/
Proud user of Voks MMA 22g darts - for more info on them see Getagrip's review.
Where do you start on this topic, words don’t exist to describe the levels of mismanagement that have been required to bring the BDO to this level, Olly Croft was an ignoramus who got lucky.

The BDO has no credibility left and it’s sad. I feel for Durrant as he should be making big bucks in the PDC, he would do ok in there, not world champion but his income would jump by a massive amount.

There are no players in the BDO with charisma, Bristow put bums on seats and I’m not having a go at Glenn Durrant but he is the big fish but hasn’t got any charisma. Everyone says he is a lovely bloke but that isn’t enough.

The whole thing is so sad and if the world darts trophy shambles is anything to go by the. DO is in its death throes

Noj
Darts are custom made 19g, made for me by David at Double Dee Darts. Great bloke, highly recommended.

Family is the most important thing in my life Heart Heart

54 years old with a body prematurely turning into a corpse
(06-08-2018, 06:33 PM)Noj Wrote: Where do you start on this topic, words don’t exist to describe the levels of mismanagement that have been required to bring the BDO to this level, Olly Croft was an ignoramus who got lucky.

The BDO has no credibility left and it’s sad. I feel for Durrant as he should be making big bucks in the PDC, he would do ok in there, not world champion but his income would jump by a massive amount.

There are no players in the BDO with charisma, Bristow put bums on seats and I’m not having a go at Glenn Durrant but he is the big fish but hasn’t got any charisma. Everyone says he is a lovely bloke but that isn’t enough.

The whole thing is so sad and if the world darts trophy shambles is anything to go by the. DO is in its death throes

Noj

Would Durrant's income really jump by a massive amount if he switched to the PDC? Pretty much only the the top 10 players in the PDC have earned more prize money than Glen from ranking tournaments during the last 2 years.
he also has a very good job with a very good pension that he loves as well
https://dartsnews.com/durrant-gives-hone...llowed-up/
Proud user of Voks MMA 22g darts - for more info on them see Getagrip's review.
(06-08-2018, 07:11 PM)Koivu Wrote:
(06-08-2018, 06:33 PM)Noj Wrote: Where do you start on this topic, words don’t exist to describe the levels of mismanagement that have been required to bring the BDO to this level, Olly Croft was an ignoramus who got lucky.

Noj

Would Durrant's income really jump by a massive amount if he switched to the PDC? Pretty much only the the top 10 players in the PDC have earned more prize money than Glen from ranking tournaments during the last 2 years.
World trophy he won £8k every other weekend there are 2 player championships with top prize of £10k each. Plus EuropeN tour plus all the majors. The BDO has 1 properly televised tournament so the money on offer is rubbish in comparison. His profile would increase and his sponsorship deals would be more lucrative. Why spend a lot to sponsor a guy who is on tv once a year when you can sponsor a top PDC player who is on TV all the time. 

Any player will earn more in the PDC, if they didn’t they wouldn’t all keep jumping ship

Noj
Darts are custom made 19g, made for me by David at Double Dee Darts. Great bloke, highly recommended.

(06-08-2018, 09:05 PM)Noj Wrote:

Noj

World trophy he won £8k every other weekend there are 2 player championships with top prize of £10k each. Plus EuropeN tour plus all the majors. The BDO has 1 properly televised tournament so the money on offer is rubbish in comparison. His profile would increase and his sponsorship deals would be more lucrative. Why spend a lot to sponsor a guy who is on tv once a year when you can sponsor a top PDC player who is on TV all the time. 

Any player will earn more in the PDC, if they didn’t they wouldn’t all keep jumping ship

Noj

But he would have to do well in all those events which isn't a given. With the BDO WC alone he has earned £200k in the last 2 years. In the PDC the money won't come as easy as in the BDO for him.
Durrant is only earning so well because he won the last two Lakesides. The £100,000 winner cheque for the Worlds is the only decent chunk of money to be earned in the BDO. If he wins literally every Lakeside, he'll earn more than he would in the PDC, but lose one, it's a massive loss and would cut his overall earnings in half.

It's his decision to stay and I can respect that but then he has no right to complain about whatever is happening in the BDO. If he had more ambition, he would have switched now and he's surely good enough to make the top 16 in the PDC.
(06-08-2018, 09:40 PM)joeriw96 Wrote:
(06-08-2018, 09:05 PM)Noj Wrote:

Noj

Noj

But he would have to do well in all those events which isn't a given. With the BDO WC alone he has earned £200k in the last 2 years. In the PDC the money won't come as easy as in the BDO for him.
The top 20 in the PDC have all earned more than £200,000 in last 2 years. Most of them have won nothing. When was last time Alan Norris won anything or Jelle Klaasen? The sheer volume of money on offer in the PDC means he doesn’t have to win anything. In the BDO if he doesn’t win lakeside he is stuffed

Noj