Converting Steel Tip Barrel to 2BA Soft Tip
Good Morning DartsNutz 

Just an interesting topic that has been on my mind for quite some time.

Since i've been liking the MVG Style Grip for quite some time. I have been on the hunt for the right Soft Tip Barrel of that grip type.
- MVG Originals in 18G (Throws nice, but... looks off compared to what he really throws)
- SHOT 906 Series 18G (very close, grip is alot better with the blue paint removed)
- Unicorn RVB Phase 5's 18G (Sadly disappointed with the level of grip)
- Harrows Josh Paynes 18G (w/ razor grip on middle finger hold)

blah...
So after doing more research... it seems that MVG is actually throwing McKicks Premium White / Mighty Grips 21G? (Or... his MasterDarts Versions of some sort)
My personal friend told me that he was shorty sponsored by SHOT Darts, im not sure on the accuracy on that information.
(but hence why i tried those SHOT Darts noted above, they seem alot closer to what the set-up on the McKick's are and/or the darts he actually uses)

Now...
Im at the point of where im gonna just Grab the McKicks Premium Whites in 21G /23G. And hopefully try to convert them into a 2BA Soft Tip (im trying to stay away from the No.5 Thread idea at the moment.)
And also trying to get the weight to around the 16.5G Barrel Weight area (18G Loaded) for Soft Tip localized play.

Im no machinist by any means, so bare with me on this lol.

So... the general topic and idea...
I've been looking at dart selections lately and noticed that there is a bigger selection of "Steel Tip Type of Barrels vs. Soft Tip Barrel Styles"

Im sure it is possible to change a Steel Tip Barrel to a Soft Tip Barrel 
- i am guessing it is Depending on the width / material of the barrel itself

But what is the thread size and pitch of a 2BA Thread? (or... am i just missing something lol)

Can the replication balance of the existing dart be achieved by the depth of "how much is drilled out of the Tungsten Stock Rod?"
(or atleast come close to the existing original designed balance)
Same goes for adjusting the weight.

Side Notes/Questions:
Soft Tip Barrels do have the luxury of buying whatever brand 2BA conversion point.

Is there a Conversion Point product that can replicate a certain Barrel Nosing and use Replacement Steel Tip Points? (Another project im working on)
- the only experience on conversion tips i have used is the Target Titanium's, Unicorn Brass, Generic Chinese Brass, and Winmau Carbon Brass Conversions.
    - Winmau Carbon Brass Conversions, im guessing may be the only one that the point can be removed easily? (Sorry i havent tried to change it to a Replacement / aftermarket Steel        Tip. But Has anyone tried?))

Thank you in advance for dealing with my.... run-on rambling lol

- Keene
Hello,

2BA is the Threadsize. BA stands for British Association Standard Thread.
You need a drill of 4mm and a Thread tapper BA2.

Look at my thread Selfmade Steel- to Softdart Conversions
There you can see what is possible.

But I use a lathe without it becomes difficult. You should have at least one drill rig available.
You can then influence the center of gravity and the weight over the depth of the holes.

Have fun Smile
current favorite Dart 1: Target Phil Taylor Gen5 26g, Target ProGrip 34.5mm, L-Style Kite Flights
current favorite Dart 2: Selfmade Customs V2 23.4g, Target ProGrip 34.5mm, L-Style Kite Flights

180s (2016): 26
180s (2017): 145
180s (2018): 22
Best 2 Dart Finish: 110 (T20, DB)
Best 3 Dart Finish: 156 (T20, T20, D18)
Best Leg: 13

My Dart Image Gallery   My Modified Amberjack   My Selfmade Customs Darts V2   My Selfmade Customs Darts V3

(05-16-2018, 10:50 PM)hardy73 Wrote: Hello,

But I use a lathe without it becomes difficult. You should have at least one drill rig available.
You can then influence the center of gravity and the weight over the depth of the holes.

Have fun Smile

Thanks for the Link to the thread

And thanks for the "BA" Definition haha....
Weird that never showed up when i was searching
(i usually don't ask haha.... but it was bothering me for a long time)

Darn... sadly i do not have access to a lathe Sad

only.... a Drill Press at the most lol.... and maybe hand tap after the 4mm hole.... oh boy.. haha

Good to know about the COG changing as well.
Give me alot more confidence to attempt this hahahaha.

i need to make friends with a machinist xD
(05-16-2018, 10:50 PM)hardy73 Wrote: Hello,

Have fun Smile

IMPRESSIVE work Hardy  good
[Image: ARJSu2G.jpg]
DAYTONA FIRE JP-01JP-02, DF-10, DF-11 & DF-01
If you want to do it diy, this Thread may help. Convert a steeltip to a 4ba/3M softtip, but without weightreduction.

And if you want it professionally, why not order steeltipdarts from Madhousedarts and order additionally a dartsmodification, with exactly what you want. Tony there is the man. Conversion to 2ba, drillout to the weight and balancepoint, what you want  Smile

Good luck with whatever you go...
(05-17-2018, 08:33 AM)Rabe1 Wrote: If you want to do it diy, this Thread may help. Convert a steeltip to a 4ba/3M softtip, but without weightreduction.

And if you want it professionally, why not order steeltipdarts from Madhousedarts and order additionally a dartsmodification, with exactly what you want. Tony there is the man. Conversion to 2ba, drillout to the weight and balancepoint, what you want  Smile

Thanks @Rabe1

Ill look into Madhouse Darts Smile
(05-18-2018, 10:01 PM)Ehudakineyah Wrote:
(05-17-2018, 08:33 AM)Rabe1 Wrote: If you want to do it diy, this Thread may help. Convert a steeltip to a 4ba/3M softtip, but without weightreduction.

Thanks @Rabe1

Ill look into Madhouse Darts Smile
Cheers  Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ? for those that own the same set in steel and soft EdwardO 4 476 01-05-2018, 06:40 PM
Last Post: elevendarter
  Soft tip darts with steel points? Or other way around? hawk45 6 571 12-24-2017, 10:39 PM
Last Post: elevendarter
  Wayne Mardle 501 soft tip 20gr, barrel weight? Shroker 14 1,982 05-30-2017, 10:01 PM
Last Post: philliesricky
  Has anyone converted steel tip darts into soft tip darts? DanGoldsmith180 12 1,868 02-11-2017, 06:54 PM
Last Post: DanGoldsmith180
  barrel weight in soft tip darts schook 4 839 12-30-2015, 05:59 PM
Last Post: guest2