Height practice
Hey nutz,

still being a beginner, I find it much easier to have my darts hit in the right direction than to get them to the right height.
Is there any additional practice routine I could use to remedy that, other than focus, throw, repeat?
Currently throwing: Harrows Atomic 22g
Skill level: Truly terrible
You are lucky. I struggle with left to right drift. For variety, you might want to work on top to bottom type drills. Double 20, Bull, Double 3. Incorporate triples, etc. I say this because double 6 will not help if you are good left to right but struggle up and down.

I am sure someone will chime in with a solid explanation about releasing at the same point each time, consistent elbow position and consistent anchor point. All of which, in my experience, can easily affect how high or low your darts hit. Another thing to look at is the angle of the darts in the board. If the entry angle is not consistent, the darts might be porpoising (tail moving up and down on the way to the board) a lot after you release and this can cause them to drift high or low, especially when combined with other inconsistencies in the throw.

Final thought is to make sure you are throwing with the same power each time. If you have a softer throw, it is very easy for a little variation in the force of your throw to cause the darts to drift because you already would have a fairly significant arc compared to someone who naturally throws harder.
Target Taylor 9 zero soft and steel tip 

Boards: Gladiator 2 with Target Vision lighting system and Gran Board 2 soft tip with Target Corona lighting system. 

I used to practice with a length of wool. It worked well for me when i first really started out. Now i can throw more consistently in height and straighter. What i did was pin a piece of wool from the top of the board vertically down through the centre of the D20, T20, bull, T3 and D3. the aim was to just hit the wool regardless of height, this kept me straighter. Then i did the same horizontally across the board passing through the T20, again trying to hit the wool regardless of how straight and this helped with my height. Eventually as i say i became more consistent, and eventually used the horizontal to practice across T19 and T17.
Fento has some great advice..I haven't done the horizonal one yet but the string from 20 to 3 is my first target during warm up. I've been using the 11's and 6's for height and of course the bull for both. It works very well and my bull hits have gone up alot.
(04-25-2018, 04:54 PM)ranger86 Wrote: You are lucky.  I struggle with left to right drift.  For variety, you might want to work on top to bottom type drills.  Double 20, Bull, Double 3.  Incorporate triples, etc.  I say this because double 6 will not help if you are good left to right but struggle up and down.

I am sure someone will chime in with a solid explanation about releasing at the same point each time, consistent elbow position and  consistent anchor point.  All of which, in my experience, can easily affect how high or low your darts hit.  Another thing to look at is the angle of the darts in the board.  If the entry angle is not consistent, the darts might be porpoising (tail moving up and down on the way to the board) a lot after you release and this can cause them to drift high or low, especially when combined with other inconsistencies in the throw.  

Final thought is to make sure you are throwing with the same power each time.  If you have a softer throw, it is very easy for a little variation in the force of your throw to cause the darts to drift because you already would have a fairly significant arc compared to someone who naturally throws harder.

I think my motion and release are ok and I do focus on feeling and realizing them. Of course, everything can be improved.
My main problem is the power. I feel that it's not the same from one throw to the next, and I haven't yet figured out how to control it. What I have discovered just recently is that it's better for me to put in more power at the beginning of the motion and then just control the arm until release instead of exerting a constant thrust until I let the dart go.
(04-26-2018, 04:40 PM)Fento Wrote: I used to practice with a length of wool. It worked well for me when i first really started out. Now i can throw more consistently in height and straighter. What i did was pin a piece of wool from the top of the board vertically down through the centre of the D20, T20, bull, T3 and D3. the aim was to just hit the wool regardless of height, this kept me straighter. Then i did the same horizontally across the board passing through the T20, again trying to hit the wool regardless of how straight and this helped with my height. Eventually as i say i became more consistent, and eventually used the horizontal to practice across T19 and T17.

(04-26-2018, 05:24 PM)Baloos Wrote: Fento has some great advice..I haven't done the horizonal one yet but the string from 20 to 3 is my first target during warm up. I've been using the 11's and 6's for height and of course the bull for both. It works very well and my bull hits have gone up alot.

Good ideas and good advice. Thank you both!
I am a newcomer to darts and have been battling the exact same problem. 

Sometimes when I throw, the dart lacks power and arcs weakly to the bottom segments. The next throw it might sail over the board. I don't have complete answers but one thing that helps a bit is to try and release at your "aim point."

In other words, when you pull your arm up to aim (before the pull-back), try to release the dart at that point.

- Skitch
(04-27-2018, 09:14 AM)Andreas Wrote: I think my motion and release are ok and I do focus on feeling and realizing them. Of course, everything can be improved.
My main problem is the power. I feel that it's not the same from one throw to the next, and I haven't yet figured out how to control it. What I have discovered just recently is that it's better for me to put in more power at the beginning of the motion and then just control the arm until release instead of exerting a constant thrust until I let the dart go.

(06-12-2018, 07:06 PM)Skitch Wrote: I am a newcomer to darts and have been battling the exact same problem. 

Sometimes when I throw, the dart lacks power and arcs weakly to the bottom segments. The next throw it might sail over the board. I don't have complete answers but one thing that helps a bit is to try and release at your "aim point."

In other words, when you pull your arm up to aim (before the pull-back), try to release the dart at that point.

- Skitch

I try not to get too caught up in release points and they deeply technical aspects of throwing but what I would ask is this:

How's your follow through?

Increasing your follow through is the best way to delivering the dart more solidly and consistently.

When I started trying to get better I had a floaty throw, where the amount of float could vary quite a bit.  I received some great advice which was:

Film you throw.

Film it from side on and take a look - I'll bet it looks different to how it feels!  The thing I took away when I filmed mine was that my follow through stopped about 3/4 of the way through, with my arm having about a 30 degree kink rather than being straight.

Darts: Harrows Glen Durrant Duzza Series 2 24g, short Harrows Supergrip shafts, Harrows flights (Marathon/Retina/Optix/Rapide) 

Best 501: 13 darts (League), 14 darts (Pro Darter)

Best Checkout: 154 (League), 160 (Pro Darter)
(04-26-2018, 04:40 PM)Fento Wrote: I used to practice with a length of wool. It worked well for me when i first really started out. Now i can throw more consistently in height and straighter. What i did was pin a piece of wool from the top of the board vertically down through the centre of the D20, T20, bull, T3 and D3. the aim was to just hit the wool regardless of height, this kept me straighter. Then i did the same horizontally across the board passing through the T20, again trying to hit the wool regardless of how straight and this helped with my height. Eventually as i say i became more consistent, and eventually used the horizontal to practice across T19 and T17.

Thats a great Idea
its always served me well as a basic routine to try and keep straighter and at a perfect height.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dartboard height and distance for child and adult solan goose 29 33,205 05-23-2019, 04:28 PM
Last Post: nixer55
  Dart board height and distance Catalaya 6 2,533 12-12-2016, 06:26 AM
Last Post: Catalaya