checkout table
I've been doing outs for about a month now, so what do I know.

But I think use of such tables would be a waste because a) my memory has always been pants, b) it teaches over-reliance on a fixed table and thus a fixed way of doing things, c) related to b, it harms and conflicts with your ability to do things your own way and be flexible with your outs.

I would say the best way to learn outs is to practice them from 170 to 41, and working things out on the fly for yourself. After a while, this becomes ingrained as you find your own methods and shortcuts.
Without a doubt, but the thread is not just about using tables.  May have started that way - lol.  Having said that, tables can establish a baseline until you figure out the best route for you.  Which takes board time...
D) All of the above
Levonster  Out! 
(08-17-2019, 04:36 PM)Jefferz Wrote: I've been doing outs for about a month now, so what do I know.

But I think use of such tables would be a waste because a) my memory has always been pants, b) it teaches over-reliance on a fixed table and thus a fixed way of doing things, c) related to b, it harms and conflicts with your ability to do things your own way and be flexible with your outs.

I would say the best way to learn outs is to practice them from 170 to 41, and working things out on the fly for yourself. After a while, this becomes ingrained as you find your own methods and shortcuts.

This is kind of the thing I wrote in one of my previous posts above. I mentioned a player who had told me the same, that he didn't want to learn some stupid outs from charts because he liked to do it his own way. Read: he wasn't able to learn and understand the simple logic of most routes and he preferred his own better ways - llike 99 = T20, 9, D15. He was simply only able to count to the nearest ten of the out. Of course, once out of ten attempts he hit that which was unbreakable evidence that he was right...

There's one other thing which is very important for learning outs. You always have to count and know what your score is. I mean, if you have 112 and you plan to start with T20, you have to immediately know what your score is after the first dart is thrown. Example, if you hit T5 instead, you have to know that your score is 97 now. I see very often players throwing the second dart at T20 again and only after that they start to count what they had hit and what their score is now. Which is bad thinking that costs them at least one dart if they hit that T20.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  nightcrawler variations checkout table nightcrawler 86 4,338 09-04-2019, 08:32 AM
Last Post: nightcrawler
  Darts Checkout Assistant HeBeGB 4 793 03-16-2018, 07:01 PM
Last Post: SparkVendetta
Video Any faults in my throw? (also 150 checkout fail lol) Liam Twigg 5 971 03-14-2018, 08:25 PM
Last Post: Crusher17