Your stem length
I use either 36 mm or 41 mm nylon shafts, with 41 mm being my current favourate at my prefered weight of 21 grams, for darts under 21 grams (ie) 20 grams or less, I can get away with 36 mm nylon shafts and kite flights, instead of the standard flights which I use at 21 grams and over.

For all my darts in the 21 to 24 gram range, I use the same set up of 41 mm nylon shafts and standard flights, which has proven to be a good set up. I don`t own any darts heavier then 24 grams.

Having said that, I am currently testing out some longer nylon shafts of 48 mm on a set of 21 gram darts I recently got from ebay, these darts have a barrel length of  47.5 mm compared to my normal 21 gram darts, which have a 50 mm barrel length, during testing so far, this has made them more forgiving and in fact they may become my favourate darts, with the longer shafts and standard flights, as they are so nice to throw. 

I am a rear gripper, sometimes quite extremely, so and occasionally use the shaft itself, as part of my grip.
Yes its me, I checked in the mirror. 

Current preferred weight 19 to 23 grams, with 21 gram, being my current favourate.

Favourate current darts set up :- 21 grams 46 to 50 mm barrel, 41 mm nylon shafts, standard flights.
(04-18-2018, 01:50 AM)Blanton Wrote: Only available to view for active members with 5 or more posts click register to join Smile
Register
I tried a Dimplex medium against a power G4 short earlier with the same barrels and flights. Short felt a lot faster and more stable. I don't think it's imagination. I think short metal is different again. I prefer the look of mediums but short work better for me. I suspect the slimmer 1 piece  titanium or aluminium stems are faster than power stems because of aerodynamics.
Throwing darts since July 2018.

Winmau Vanquish 25g, short clear Supergrip stems, Ti slotlocks, clear DSX kite flights.
Winmau Navigator 3 23g, Supergrips short clear/blue, Harrows Retina kite grey.
Winmau Testament 26g, Phil Taylor Power shafts Gen4, Harrows Retina kite grey.
Winmau Blade 5
Gorilla ArrowPro Stand with Bulls rotating mount.

Mid to rear gripper.

180s 2018: 6
180s 2019: 14

I throw 54.6mm barrells with a medium Progrip stem.

Rear gripper.
 Steel tip

Darts used - Winmau Daryl Gurney 23g. Stems - Winmau Prism Force. Flights - Target Yellow Union Flag. 
Dartboard(s) used - Winmau Blade 5.
Highest Checkout (2018) - 155
Best leg (2018) - 14
180s (2018) - 10

Highest Checkout (2019) - 130
Best leg (2019) - 17
180s (2019) - 15

Moddarts
Almost always short stems unless its a short barrel then it's tweenies all the way.
Target progrip size 2. 37.5mm. Lands better angle than normal short ones.
I've always used medium length stems, but since I bought the Adrian Lewis Gen 2 darts I've gone to short stems. Basically cause the barrel on them are longer than previous sets and short stems keeps the whole length of the dart the same from the point to the top of the flight
Darts:
Target Carrera C5 (23g)
Target Pro Grip Clear Short Stems
Target Vision Fade Black Punched Flights 
Target Titanium Slot Lock Rings
Target Storm Nano Grip Black 26mm Points

Setup:
Unicorn Eclipse HD2 Pro Edition Board
Unicorn Striker Black Surround
Target Corona Vision Light System

180's: 
2019: 56
2018: 27

I used to think that all my shafts should be the same length.  Over the years that has changed.  I’m a balance gripper, so my barrels are about center balanced, and I only use spinner shafts.  I have a supply of XS, S, and M length shafts.  

What I now do is use the shaft length which gives the best flight characteristics.  There never seems to be any rhyme or reason to me why somewhat like shaped barrels fly better with different lengths, but I just accept it.  It works for me.  

I’ve seen people throw so many ways, I don’t think there is a right shaft length.  I think it’s a trial and error process when it comes to darts and their setup for each person.  In a way I think that is part of the fun in this sport.

They have also said that "I was a strange child", so there is that.
Gran 3 - ID: Bull007, One80 Gladiator 3, & Nodor President
Darts: Target, Colonial, Unicorn & Pacer - Soft & Steel Tip
I have used and continue to maintain an assortment of Nylon ProGrip (S, IM), SuperGrip Carbon Midi,  L-Style Carbon slim 300, 370 and most sizes and styles of Cosmo Fit stems in plastic, carbon and Duralumin.

Out of this cornucopia of options the stems most used on my preferred setups are Fit Hybrid and Slim Carbon #3, #4 and Standard and Slim Duralumin #3 and #4. Duralumin for their weight and balancing of conversion points and they have been excellent stems too. Not a single issue with a Duralumin stem and the Fit tiny o-ring keeps them tight without interfering with a flush to barrel fit.
Normally shorts but it can vary depending on the dart
(01-06-2019, 05:07 AM)Bull Wrote: Only available to view for active members with 5 or more posts click register to join Smile
Register
I agree. Flight characteristics appear to depend on many different factors. The differences may be tiny but they are noticeable. And there's definitely some enjoyment to be had in experimenting with your set up and finding out what feels right. I generally prefer the look of medium stems and standard flights but they feel like a parachute slowing the dart down to me.
Throwing darts since July 2018.

Winmau Vanquish 25g, short clear Supergrip stems, Ti slotlocks, clear DSX kite flights.
Winmau Navigator 3 23g, Supergrips short clear/blue, Harrows Retina kite grey.
Winmau Testament 26g, Phil Taylor Power shafts Gen4, Harrows Retina kite grey.
Winmau Blade 5
Gorilla ArrowPro Stand with Bulls rotating mount.

Mid to rear gripper.

180s 2018: 6
180s 2019: 14

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does the hole in the stem affect the stem? DanGoldsmith180 21 4,001 02-27-2019, 11:10 PM
Last Post: None80
  Shaft Length v Accuracy Zazl 2 552 01-02-2019, 02:06 PM
Last Post: Zazl
  40mm stem length JDorks 2 398 05-18-2018, 03:25 PM
Last Post: JDorks
  Length of stems, shafts Julius van Oeveren 8 946 03-15-2018, 06:49 PM
Last Post: wongerchi
  I need help with stems length Vilmis 4 1,603 04-11-2017, 12:42 PM
Last Post: Swiiiitch
  stem length 1in1out 29 18,454 04-12-2016, 08:02 PM
Last Post: Tavistock
  Stem Length Dickie_rock 3 1,405 12-08-2015, 02:43 PM