First Dart Board... Great or Awful Thinking?
(04-17-2018, 05:40 PM)TJD180 Wrote: i want to set fire to a standard board at times through frustration so a board with smaller segments would tip me over the edge lol

mint

Can't begin to tell you how much I agree with this statement.
(04-17-2018, 05:49 PM)wongerchi Wrote:
(04-17-2018, 05:40 PM)TJD180 Wrote: i want to set fire to a standard board at times through frustration so a board with smaller segments would tip me over the edge lol

mint

Can't begin to tell you how much I agree with this statement.

Big Grin
Every leg of 501 is a potential 9 darter.

2016-180’s-0
2017-180’s-4
2018-180’s-10 
2019-180’s- 11
2020-180’s- 7 and counting 

Snakebite world championship 2020 23G
(04-17-2018, 05:44 PM)AD18 Wrote: At the end of the day if you are just learning hitting a normal size treble or double is hard enough. But, if you just want to develop your form as opposed to "success" with the trebles then by all means use the board, it's paid for. It is nice to have success on the intended target and when you hit the first 180 that is always nice. As your skills and throw develop and you want to really fine tune to a razors edge bring it back out. I just believe the normal board will keep you motivated, less stressed on your misses, and be far more helpful as you progress.

All responses are much appreciated but I feel like this says it best. Thank you for your input.
Deffo keep hold of it when you get the new one, they can be useful to put up for half an hour every now and again or when theres a few mates around
[Image: oz1OCc3.jpg]
(04-17-2018, 04:10 PM)cubdog Wrote: What your attempting would be like trying to learn golf by hitting a driver off the deck. Not recommended!

Easiest shot in the game!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(04-18-2018, 03:03 PM)Themoodymann Wrote:
(04-17-2018, 04:10 PM)cubdog Wrote: What your attempting would be like trying to learn golf by hitting a driver off the deck. Not recommended!

Well that's quite a first post! Welcome to the forum but I don't think I want to play golf with you. Let's stick to darts. Smile
Liberal heathen
(04-18-2018, 03:20 PM)cubdog Wrote:

Well that's quite a first post! Welcome to the forum but I don't think I want to play golf with you. Let's stick to darts. Smile

First post, but lurking around for a year.  Careful @Cubdog, Scotsmen know their darts and golf.  Been playing it a long time - lol...
(04-18-2018, 03:59 PM)nixer55 Wrote:

First post, but lurking around for a year.  Careful @Cubdog, Scotsmen know their darts and golf.  Been playing it a long time - lol...

I am being careful! Hitting driver off the deck is now above my pay grade. Last time I could pull that off with any success was using a persimmon. I'd happily play Themo golf or darts as long as there's no money on the line. Smile And I'm good with Scotsmen, I've more than a little Scottish blood myself and proud to say so!
Liberal heathen
Uh oh, I'm another new guy with similar new guy questions.....  Confused

Am I going to have the same problem with a Unicorn D1179403 Eclipse Pro Dart Board  ?

If so, what would be a good dart board for a beginner?   Huh
(04-19-2018, 07:29 PM)minervadoe Wrote: Uh oh, I'm another new guy with similar new guy questions.....  Confused

Am I going to have the same problem with a Unicorn D1179403 Eclipse Pro Dart Board  ?

If so, what would be a good dart board for a beginner?   Huh

Any of the major brands would be a good start.   I like the Alien board and have used them for a few years now.  I like the way they heal when the darts are pulled, the contrast between the light and dark areas of the board.    I have also bought many Winmau boards over the years but I find they don't heal as quickly as the Alien and the lighter portions are more like the color of a manila envelope with some marbling mixed in.    My current board is a Generation 180 that I got off Amazon.com.

Depending on where you live, you can expect to pay anywhere from $50 and up for a decent board.

Just saw you are in California. A-Z darts is in your area and they have reasonable prices on boards and quick delivery. Give their site a look-see.
(04-19-2018, 08:18 PM)gumbo2176 Wrote:
(04-19-2018, 07:29 PM)minervadoe Wrote: Uh oh, I'm another new guy with similar new guy questions.....  [url=https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000G2Z4VW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1][/url]

Just saw you are in California.   A-Z darts is in your area and they have reasonable prices on boards and quick delivery.   Give their site a look-see.

Thank you.  So,     https://www.a-zdarts.com/         Oh, my wife is going to hate that I found that site......
Wow, what a wide selection.   I've got that bookmarked now.

For now, I'll use the Unicorn dartboard that will arrive in the mail today.  If I can wear that out, I'll be ready for the next purchase.     Cool
oldguy

It's now been over a week since this post and maybe 2 months that I started throwing 1-2 hours a night, regularly. Today was the first time that I threw at a standard board- a Unicorn Eclipse- and it was wonderful. I almost wonder if exclusively practicing on the Winmau Champion is a good idea, but I will still be investing in a standard board in the near future when the funding is there. I wouldn't recommend what I did to anyone, but it's been OK with me.

Lol I don’t even know if I can reply to posts over a year old!? Many thanks for the welcome. I’m a kind of lurker... I have this tapatalk app and never really been sure how to use it tbh (I’m not even that old as well!) Hence me only seeing these replies now! I used to practice darts when I lived at my parents years ago and my local got rid of their dartboard in favour of a kitchen/dining area so I’m kinda outta touch a bit. Can still hit a driver of the deck though haha!
So do you guys use tapatalk or is there easier apps to work out there? Never been much of a contributor to forums but I’m signed up to about 50! I kinda prefer the ease of Reddit these days...
Anyway thanks again for the warm welcome and I’m glad OP got on well with his champ dartboard! Hope you got a standard one by now ha!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dart board height and distance Catalaya 6 2,779 12-12-2016, 06:26 AM
Last Post: Catalaya
  GPS for the Dart Board? Cat 2 3,156 06-09-2015, 04:02 AM
Last Post: Cat
  angle of the dart in the board BigE 6 2,703 05-25-2015, 04:26 PM
Last Post: Getagrip
  Beginners - heres great help *Saber* 4 2,622 02-06-2014, 12:46 AM
Last Post: robrey85