Past Darts Innovations and My Whirlitzers
Thread from old forum:

Sometime ago I got some Jeff Pickup darts, here they are:

[IMG]Only available to view for active members with 5 or more posts click register to join Smile [/IMG] Register

Really liked the darts and how they were balanced.

Recently I was looking through some old darts mags and found this:

[IMG]Only available to view for active members with 5 or more posts click register to join Smile [/IMG] Register

Wait a minute I thought, they look like my Pickup darts??

Turns out what I thought were Pickup darts were in fact Elkadart Whirlitzers.

Now if you dont know Jeff Pickup he is a well respected dart maker from Canada and creates some unique darts, he also developed a movable point system that was bought by Harrows I think, and became the Harrows Powerpoint.

I sent an E-mail to Jeff asking about the darts that I was told were made by him and explained about the ad I seen. He said he did not make the darts but modified them buy tapping in an M4 thread into the barrel. He was given a load of old stock of 22g Whirlitzers by a Canadian supplier.

After seeing the ad I wanted the 24 and 26 gram sets but the ad was from 1996 so was not too hopeful.

I found the Elkadart website and asked about the darts on the contact form. 2 weeks went by and got no reply. I decided to phone them. On that day I came across another old ad from a 1994 mag:

Never seen them before either I thought, so I phoned Elkadart and asked if they had my message, the women said no and told me to send to another email address. I sent my request again and also asked about the Elkapoints.

2 weeks went by and no response, I also sent a message to Steve Beaton and no response. Phoned Elkadart and talked to a guy called Ian who I think was in charge, said he got my message but had been busy but was sure they had some darts left. A week later I had the 3 sets what I wanted, which was nice.

Lately I have gone through a few old mags and found a lot of darts innovations in the late 70's and early 80's, also there seemed to be a lot of smaller companies making darts in the early days, guess they were all trying to cash in on the new craze that was taking off. I wonder what happened to them all though.

I have scanned a few of them to show here.

Varidarts from 1981:

Apollo Multiweight 1980:

Blackwidows 1979, expensive then for that time!!:

Dav-Lin Shafts??? 1979 (what happened to these?):

Dunlop Graphite shafts 1982 (Says Carbon Fibre, I thought that was a recent invention?):

Seen this black and white ad many times:

Thought they sound intriguing and finally found a colour ad from 1981:

Durros Delta Flight Range from 1984:

Durro Laser from 1983, has push on stems:

More Elkadart creativity 1979:

Halex Titanium Shafts 1979:

Hammer Head Darts 1983, I thought Bottelsen had that Trade Mark??:

Paxman Tip-Top 1981:

Jockys Barb 1982:

Magnetic Shafts 1995, I'm sure these are still available but what happened to Paxman darts?:

Unicorn Slik Stiks news item 1980:

Twizzle Stems 1980, adjustable stem length:

Tru-Lon Rev Grip 1980, think these are still available:

Didn't know Bobby George had his own darts company, 1980:

A sales Slump news item 1980, LOL!:

Replies from old forum:

Rebel

+1 from me for this, really interesting read.

You can certainly see where some of today's nifty dart and shaft designs were dreamt up all those years ago, although Jocky's barb advising you to polish your dart with beer and spittle would take some beating!

Getagrip

yeah in the early days there was some really wacky inventions but some very good and unique ones too.

Will have to see if I can find more of the same.

jake8380

Wow! Nice find! A lot of innovations and gimmicks. Just as you see today. Some make it and most do not. Looking at the Black Widows in 100% tungsten, wonder how many people had their darts shatter? I think they went to 97% for a while, then to 95% and now at 90%.

What always amazes me is that a lot of people will try the new innovations and typically most people will tend to go back to non-proprietary, tried and true darts and accessories.

Movable points were all the rage in the 90's. I'd still see tons of bounce outs. I've only liked the theory for the ease of replacing a damaged or bent point on the spot.

I was playing with a spinning shaft and flight that was molded in the 90's. There was a rigid wire that ran through the top of the flight and into the shaft. They were way too heavy and tore easily. I think DMI made them not sure. After a couple of months I went back to my standard spider wires and flights.

I started up again in 2012 and gave the molded flights a go (L-style and Cosmo) had the same problem with tearing that I had then. I did keep the Laro and Laro Silent shafts as they do work.

minty

Good read +1.

Jeff Pickup never paints his darts so the black stripes should have been a give away.

My friend used to use a molded flight back in the 90's.

I'll have to dig out some old mags and have a look.

jake8380

If you find them let me know and post a picture. I think it was made by DMI. Hollowed out plastic shaft, molded spinning flight, and a stiff wire ran through the middle to hold everything together.

jimbo21

Fantastic post Grip, thank you. +1 from me.

minty

Dyna Star came out in the late 90's. They were popular here in the USA for awhile. My best friend used to shoot with them. Basically the same idea as the new stuff from Japan. Reduced robinhoods, deflections, blah, blah, blah. I think I tried them for awhile but ended up going back to the regular flight and stem. Dyna Star is still available today.

jake8380

No they still make those as far as I know. These were different. The shaft, flight, and wire were 3 separate pieces that came together to hold it all together.

Dynastars have the wire pressed into the shaft. On the ones I'm talking about, you put the wire through the middle of the molded flight, then put the flight and wire into the shaft and when you screwed it onto the barrel it would hold it all in place.

The tip of the wire also had a plastic bit that acted as a flight protector, and kept the flight from slipping off the back of it.

getagrip

There was a similar flight to the dynastars made in the 70's, there was also slot lock flights made by silvertrim in the 70's, I will get more pics up when I get chance, I also have some Silvertrim darts with the slotted flights and they look a lot like the champagne style caps.

griff10

Grip, i was wondering if you have heard of a newcastle dart flight.. my dad use to use them when he played in the u.k. they were white with a blue star in the middle..i haven't seen any since the 60's..

getagrip

I think I seen some on Ebay the other day with some Jim Pikes, if its the same ones:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Set-of-3-Origi...true&rt=nc

griff10

yes the only difference my dad had the standard flights.. thank's for showing me the link...

getagrip

I might have had some myself in the past, sometimes I have bought old darts and they have come with flights that are the worse for wear and I throw them out.

Not sure if Mark (dartbord) has some, I think I seen something in his FlickR album with stars on.

He has these ones:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dart-dartbo...0268180412
If you are a guest browsing this forum, why not join up, we're a friendly bunch here and love to welcome new membersSmile Click Only available to view for active members with 5 or more posts click register to join Smile to join

Subscribe to my Darts Review Channel on Youtube: Only available to view for active members with 5 or more posts click register to join Smile

My darts collection:
Only available to view for active members with 5 or more posts click register to join Smile

Some great ads there grip
Nice wee trip down memory lane thanks.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Harrows Titanium Shafts, blast from past airborneal 2 383 02-28-2019, 11:19 AM
Last Post: ionicstu
  Blast from the past: Mervyn King 1994 NiteEyez 7 1,696 08-05-2018, 06:19 AM
Last Post: Divugto
  Players in the past slot 13 4,100 04-14-2015, 08:00 PM
Last Post: DR. DARTS