Snatching your darts is bad -bad-bad
(01-22-2015, 09:40 PM)steveo Wrote: Sorry if this was mentioned and I glossed over it in this thread, but one way to fix a snatch in your throw is to practice some only using the forward motion of your throw.

First an acknowledgement. I read this somewhere, maybe it was from the flight school stuff years ago or George's book. So if credit goes to him I want to make sure he gets it. I am getting old and don't remember where I picked this up. That said...

To do this first you need someone to watch your throw so they can pinpoint where the transition is when you go from your draw to your forward movement. For me I bring the dart back to my right eye and I almost touch the inside of the bridge of my nose. So what I do is I start with my dart flight just barely touching that spot on my face. From there I complete my throw as normal. Essentially you take the draw out of the throw. If you don't follow through pointing at your target the dart will never get close to where you aim and probably will be a foot off. If you snatch the dart isn't going to get to the board.

After doing this awhile you will develop a muscle memory spot that your draw will come to automatically, eliminating a variance in your throw and you will always have a full follow through. It also makes it really hard to throw if you don't have a good solid base that you stand still with. So this also can help with people that shift their weight too much (like lunge or raise up on the last dart).

I only have about two inches of draw on my dart anyway so this might not work for someone that starts with the dart way out in front of themselves. I would say about 2 out of 3 people I have worked on this find some benefit from it. Those that don't generally are the ones that bring the dart back below their chin on the draw. That seems to be the group that this doesn't work for, but I have had a couple of beginners that moved the dart up on the draw and it helped them.

The most recent was a friend that was frustrated because she would throw three good darts and the third one would sail on her. She wasn't really snatching so much as raising up a bit on the third dart and leaving her hand up more than pointed at her target. This has really helped her.

Excellent my friend excellent. Take a rep point from me Pal.
(01-22-2015, 09:40 PM)steveo Wrote: Sorry if this was mentioned and I glossed over it in this thread, but one way to fix a snatch in your throw is to practice some only using the forward motion of your throw.

First an acknowledgement. I read this somewhere, maybe it was from the flight school stuff years ago or George's book. So if credit goes to him I want to make sure he gets it. I am getting old and don't remember where I picked this up. That said...

To do this first you need someone to watch your throw so they can pinpoint where the transition is when you go from your draw to your forward movement. For me I bring the dart back to my right eye and I almost touch the inside of the bridge of my nose. So what I do is I start with my dart flight just barely touching that spot on my face. From there I complete my throw as normal. Essentially you take the draw out of the throw. If you don't follow through pointing at your target the dart will never get close to where you aim and probably will be a foot off. If you snatch the dart isn't going to get to the board.

After doing this awhile you will develop a muscle memory spot that your draw will come to automatically, eliminating a variance in your throw and you will always have a full follow through. It also makes it really hard to throw if you don't have a good solid base that you stand still with. So this also can help with people that shift their weight too much (like lunge or raise up on the last dart).

I only have about two inches of draw on my dart anyway so this might not work for someone that starts with the dart way out in front of themselves. I would say about 2 out of 3 people I have worked on this find some benefit from it. Those that don't generally are the ones that bring the dart back below their chin on the draw. That seems to be the group that this doesn't work for, but I have had a couple of beginners that moved the dart up on the draw and it helped them.

The most recent was a friend that was frustrated because she would throw three good darts and the third one would sail on her. She wasn't really snatching so much as raising up a bit on the third dart and leaving her hand up more than pointed at her target. This has really helped her.

Thank you sir. Very good information.
(02-06-2015, 04:01 AM)Josh Wrote:

Thank you sir. Very good information.

Indeed! Having only played casually before, I was definitely "snatching". Very useful advice as I learn NOT to snatch.
bump for newbies
I need to try this...
Any of you Nutz out there dealing with snatching? If so, have you found a way to work on the issue? Just curious.
[Image: bIcnxOK.png]
When i was not doing follow through, another player told me a useful tip: keep your arm wherever you finish your movement and count to 3. This will give you the time to see where you arm ends up and realise what you are doing.

So, i went through the process of breaking down my throw, and tried explicitly to nail the follow through part by keeping my arm extended for 2-3 seconds after throwing each dart and before picking up the next one. Really helped me develop a nice follow through.
Ignore the "how you are doing it" in favor of "where you are sending it."
I would say snatching is the worse thing I see, its so common in the USA that newbies think thats the way to throw - sad really.
Saw it at the Softtip Dart club near my hometown too. Everybody was doing it. I was the only one throwing with a full follow through. I don´t even can snatch them even if i try. It´s just so deep into my throw to follow through.
Darts: Taylor 8zero Black Ti 24g, Chizzy Gold 24g,Shot 9ti Black 24g, Sigma 970 Pro LP 23g, ...
Highout: 125 (T20-T15-D10)

[Image: 26558475674_b3f9f26b2b_b.jpg]
Beginners have the hardest time with follow through. I know when I started throwing it felt very unusual to follow through but 20 years later it feels unusual to not follow through. 

That being said I believe your throw is your throw and I've seen people with amazing throw technique that are horrible shots and people with the worst technique shoot like pros. That begs the question of is there really a best technique? Or is it what you are most comfortable with?
Match Darts: Target Carrera C3 25g
Shafts: L-style carbon locked
Flights: L-style champagne shape C3 dimple

High in: 160 Matchplay / High out: 170 Matchplay

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Stop Snatching & Throw Smooth. HOW?? Snooks 7 1,562 04-13-2018, 11:38 AM
Last Post: Chipdiddytim
  Snatching is bad ! Open that hand please! *Saber* 59 15,898 03-02-2018, 01:59 AM
Last Post: Jefferz
  Snatching? Frisco 13 4,250 04-10-2015, 08:42 PM
Last Post: The G