First 180.
(05-29-2019, 03:36 PM)Zeeple Wrote: I agree.  The best advice and the hardest to follow is don't obsess over the maximums.  Just focus on your mechanics, and your mental game while practicing and trust that the effort will pay off.  Once the 180's start coming practice tho, they will start coming in competition.  And it isn't because something magical happens.  It is because your groupings are getting slowly better.

Absolutely right, Zeeple! It's all quite simple, really- practice makes perfect and you'll get there given enough time and a critical view of your own game...
...I notice that when I slot in two treble 20's, the third flies in without trouble so long as I don't think of it as hitting a maximum, but hitting the right section of the board. It's mental game, as much as physical, it seems!
(04-09-2019, 05:22 PM)SongJinGi Wrote:
(04-07-2019, 04:52 PM)Curtis8976 Wrote: Back in the game for about two months now and have hit 140 a couple times but the 180s remain elusive.

It's the dreaded last dart! I always choke on the last one haha, I tend to get 121...  Big Grin

I feel your pain, i do the same thing.
It's taken me about 4 months of playing for hours a day to hit my first 180, then the next morning I hit another one. I think it is mental when it comes down to the last dart..
I started playing Darts on the 16.01.19. My first 180 was on the 19.06.19 and the second one week later on the 26.06.19.

Now i am waiting for the next one`s. Big Grin

And since yesterday i have thrown eleven 180`s (24.09.19)

Started playing 29-6-2019 and hit my first 180 on 17-7-2019
About a year and a half for me, although I don’t find the timeline all that important.
Had buried the first 2 so many times and got nervous to the point I was lucky to hit the board on the third. What worked well for me was removing the third dart (that missed) and practice throwing it again (I read that here) to try and reduce the nervousness going forward.

My first mid March this year , first dart in the fat single, next 2 buried in the treble, collect my darts and throw again , another treble and I thought to myself , man that could have been a 180, fired the next 2 darts and they followed the first like sheep!
Finally did it. Actually had goose bumps. Fired the next one the day after, and have 7 to date.
A couple at league venues during practice but none in league match.

As others have said,  concentrate more on consistent scoring , cover shots and finishing now, and when they happen they happen.

It’s nice to have done it, but there are many more plateaus after that, continuous improvement to your own perfection.

Cheers
180’s
2018 - 0
2019 - 14
2020 - 3

Iv’e been working on my accuracy. I’ve gone from 53.6% to 92.8% getting 3 darts in the foam ring around my Winmau !
Funny how 2 to 3 years seems to be very typical for hitting that first Ton-80.  I do not know for sure for me, but if I wanted to I could look it up as I have blogged all of my (very few hahaha) maximums. (In fact I just did look it up...):

My first max came shortly before Oct 1 2004, and I started playing in the Spring 2003 season.  So I am estimating about 1.5 years for me.
Incidentally, there is a practice routine I do sometimes that I call the Foam Axe (because it is homynymous with 'Faux Max').  It is based on the idea that two darts in the Triple-20, when you are still holding one dart in your hand and are staring at the board, is anxiety inducing in most players.  in fact, it is this situation (2 in the 60, one in the hand) that generates the most choked throws in darts.  So what I do is I throw at the 60 until I get two in there, and then I only pull the miss and I toss that third dart at the already-crowded 60 until I hit it, producing a faux (false) max (maximum).  My theory is that if you have been in that situation a thousand times, you are not so freaked out by it when it happens in competition.  In fact, it is a form of desensitization.

Just saying Smile
Sounds tiring walking back and forth for that single dart. The way I throw anyhow. How about 2 sets of darts banging into the T20 and trying to ruin the flights?
(07-22-2019, 11:43 PM)SlingBlade Wrote: Sounds tiring walking back and forth for that single dart. The way I throw anyhow. How about 2 sets of darts banging into the T20 and trying to ruin the flights?

I find all that walking slimming :O
I'm stuck at 3 total right now lol still trying to get one on my granboard
Target Daytona Fire GT10 18g Soft Tip Darts
Ton80 Count-7
Started playing 9/15/18
(07-22-2019, 07:44 PM)Zero Wrote: Incidentally, there is a practice routine I do sometimes that I call the Foam Axe (because it is homynymous with 'Faux Max').

Just saying Smile

FOAM ... AXE... !!! Brilliant! I’m definitely gonna work this into my practice routine as that anxiety you mention when two land is totally real. Thanks for sharing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---
Stockton-on-Tees / Manchester
RvB 80's Target, 25g

It took me almost three months and a lot of frustrated attempts, with the first two darts in the triple 20 and then missing nervously the third dart far away from the target.. but then out of the nothing a few weeks ago I successfully completed my first 180. I have it on video Smile so even if I would never hit 180 anymore, I have a recollection of the moment for myself. Glad I did that, because since hitting that first 180 I seem to be in a form crisis and I'm becoming worser by the day..
(09-12-2019, 10:59 PM)Snowie221 Wrote: It took me almost three months and a lot of frustrated attempts, with the first two darts in the triple 20 and then missing nervously the third dart far away from the target.. but then out of the nothing a few weeks ago I successfully completed my first 180. I have it on video Smile so even if I would never hit 180 anymore, I have a recollection of the moment for myself. Glad I did that, because since hitting that first 180 I seem to be in a form crisis and I'm becoming worser by the day..

That probably boils down to the following linked article, I do that myself (over stress) it detracts from the enjoyment up to a point and probably affects throwing and accuracy, I think you have to try and play through that and remember that you cant always hit the mark every time, I guess that is what seperates the darts legends from the rest of us mortals, its also, worth remembering that even the pro`s can sometimes struggle to maintain consistancy and not all of us are meant  to be darts legends (I guess) the next 180 you hit will probably come out of the blue, one day, when you least expect it (have fun) ;-)

https://www.dartbase.com/slump.htm
Yes its me, I checked in the mirror. 

Current throwing weights of 18 to 24 grams.

Current darts set up :- 23 gram, darts clearance (no name scalloped darts) with a 50 mm barrel, 41 mm nylon shafts + standard flights.
(09-13-2019, 04:51 PM)Phil D Wrote:
(09-12-2019, 10:59 PM)Snowie221 Wrote: It took me almost three months and a lot of frustrated attempts, with the first two darts in the triple 20 and then missing nervously the third dart far away from the target.. but then out of the nothing a few weeks ago I successfully completed my first 180. I have it on video Smile so even if I would never hit 180 anymore, I have a recollection of the moment for myself. Glad I did that, because since hitting that first 180 I seem to be in a form crisis and I'm becoming worser by the day..

That probably boils down to the following linked article, I do that myself (over stress) it detracts from the enjoyment up to a point and probably affects throwing and accuracy, I think you have to try and play through that and remember that you cant always hit the mark every time, I guess that is what seperates the darts legends from the rest of us mortals, its also, worth remembering that even the pro`s can sometimes struggle to maintain consistancy and not all of us are meant  to be darts legends (I guess) the next 180 you hit will probably come out of the blue, one day, when you least expect it (have fun) ;-)

https://www.dartbase.com/slump.htm

thanks for the article.  
very interesting!  

I'll just keep practicing and then the next 180 will follow sooner or later :-)