First 180.
A few months. I’m sure I started around Christmas 2014, hit my first 180 in my signature date. Pretty sure it took AGES for the next one though. Definitely luck for my first one as the first dart was aimed at bullseye lol
First 180: 19/3/2015
Best leg 501: 12 darts (11/4/16)
Back after a hiatus, getting over dartitis 
I've yet to throw a 180. Lots of 120+ but chocked on the last dart. I've had a few 171's though.
(04-04-2018, 10:09 PM)eggcecutioner Wrote: How long did it take you to hit your first 180?

It took me 10 years to hit my first one.  Sad   That was about two months ago. LOL
About 9 months for me. That was 2 years ago and now I get one roughly once or twice a week. Plenty of 140s though which is good Smile
[Image: R8O4PSc.jpg]
22g Peter Wright Mamba
(04-05-2018, 04:22 PM)nixer55 Wrote: This has been stated before, but perhaps worth repeating.  When getting in to, or back to darts, we often obsess with 180's.  IMO, this is a mistake.  Scoring is one thing, max's another.  If you're playing n01, the object is fewest darts thrown, that's how you get your average.  Not by chasing 180's.

Besides, if you work on consistent scoring in that context, you end up switching a lot.  You do this to set up the finish, reducing the number of darts thrown.  When you have that as your mind set, the max's will just come.

Can't comment how this fits in with Cricket, sorry...

Good darting and good luck...

In my short time playing, I have to agree with this. I've played a bunch of -01 games now with a decent average only to see it get whittled down due to consistently missing outs/doubles..

That said, and to answer the OP, two-ish months. Started playing/practicing seriously this past May and hit my first 180 in July. Hit my second (ever) in Aug and have yet to hit another.. I hit sporadic 120+ and sporadic but fewer 140s.
it took me a little bit over a year, was so happy when I got it though. hit around 10 more since then and that was nov 2018
i hit one after a month but i was a little obsessed and was playing for 2-3 hours every day, I hit 80 in 2018 and im up to 35 this year (Yes i counted my 180s so i can try beat it each year) I only started playing Feb 2018 after not throwing a dart in over 10+ years.
Back in the game for about two months now and have hit 140 a couple times but the 180s remain elusive.
(04-07-2019, 04:52 PM)Curtis8976 Wrote: Back in the game for about two months now and have hit 140 a couple times but the 180s remain elusive.

It's the dreaded last dart! I always choke on the last one haha, I tend to get 121...  Big Grin
probably 8 months id say, last night I almost had another but hit the triple 5 one peg away..was so mad!!!
4 months of practice from the day I started to the first 180....

I’ve hit 5 total now in the 8 months since I’ve started practicing and playing darts. All with 5 different sets of darts lol all different shapes of barrells too lol.

Because I was so focused on the 180, my scoring development suffered , I am only now just getting my subtracting down in My head while playing 501 and remembering a few outshots.

I find throwing darts is almost like a calming meditation for me....I used to not be able to play unless my head was clear, but now I throw to clear my head . Atleast a few times a day keep the doctor away Smile
I'm still working on it, Hit a couple of 140's but mixing up my practice routines to go for different targets to help get the bigger outs. Hopefully I'll hit one in next few weeks/months.
I did my 1st 180 in about 3 months, my second came 3 days later. I've been playing 5 months, still waiting for my 3rd 180!!
Dartboard: Blade 4 dual core
Started playing: 15/09/2018
180's: 10 (5 in 1st Year) (5 in last 4 months since October 2019)
3 bulls: Once
Best Checkout: 100 (twice)
Best leg: 16 darts (in practice), 22 darts (in a match)

(09-22-2018, 05:55 AM)Drano Wrote:
(04-05-2018, 04:22 PM)nixer55 Wrote: This has been stated before, but perhaps worth repeating.  When getting in to, or back to darts, we often obsess with 180's.  IMO, this is a mistake.  Scoring is one thing, max's another.  If you're playing n01, the object is fewest darts thrown, that's how you get your average.  Not by chasing 180's.

Besides, if you work on consistent scoring in that context, you end up switching a lot.  You do this to set up the finish, reducing the number of darts thrown.  When you have that as your mind set, the max's will just come.

Can't comment how this fits in with Cricket, sorry...

Good darting and good luck...

In my short time playing, I have to agree with this.  I've played a bunch of -01 games now with a decent average only to see it get whittled down due to consistently missing outs/doubles..

That said, and to answer the OP, two-ish months.  Started playing/practicing seriously this past May and hit my first 180 in July.  Hit my second (ever) in Aug and have yet to hit another..  I hit sporadic 120+ and sporadic but fewer 140s.

I too completely agree with that. Having played for around 18 months and satisfied with improvements made so far, I have found that aiming to end the leg in as few darts as possible has been most helpful. Besides this, I believe that taking each dart as a unique event can help, as it focuses your mind on the shot in hand and before you know it, you've hit a maximum...
I agree. The best advice and the hardest to follow is don't obsess over the maximums. Just focus on your mechanics, and your mental game while practicing and trust that the effort will pay off. Once the 180's start coming practice tho, they will start coming in competition. And it isn't because something magical happens. It is because your groupings are getting slowly better.