Darts - Beginners 3 things you must do to become a good Player
(11-07-2013, 03:03 PM)*Saber* Wrote: This is my opinion but I think good advice.
The other night while watching the top league match a lower league was playing and one of the newbies asked me how to become a good player.

I had played him before in Cricket and 01 and just destroyed him. A nice kid and here was my answers to him.

1. Extend your arm to your target and end up with palm of your hand down. ( 90% of players around here snatch their darts)
2. Focus
3. Practice,Practice,practice and learn your outs.

Of course there are more to it than that but you get this part down you have a solid base IMO.
Thanks for the advice.
(01-28-2018, 09:07 PM)RaddBeethoven Wrote:
(11-07-2013, 03:03 PM)*Saber* Wrote: This is my opinion but I think good advice.
The other night while watching the top league match a lower league was playing and one of the newbies asked me how to become a good player.

I had played him before in Cricket and 01 and just destroyed him. A nice kid and here was my answers to him.

1. Extend your arm to your target and end up with palm of your hand down. ( 90% of players around here snatch their darts)
2. Focus
3. Practice,Practice,practice and learn your outs.

Of course there are more to it than that but you get this part down you have a solid base IMO.
Thanks for the advice.
Good advice.
It sounds ridiculous bit sometimes I feel like I'm thinking more about form and just chucking them without really honing in on my target.  good advice to keep truly focused.
Very good info and advice re determining best darts for a newer player. Will narrow it doen to 3 less expensive and different setups to try to figure out what initially works best and help dial in a bit before trying to choose a better more expensive set of darts to focus on.
Thanks for the advice!
Ive noticed that I jerk my arm instead of a follow through. I've been working on it. Initially I lost a little accuracy, but luckily don't have a set in stone routine to break yet.
Great info.
my 2c

1. math skills
2. rythm

for me having a rythm to the throw helps a lot. its hard to keep a rythm when you dont know what you need to hit. the easiest way i can explain this is, the math needs to lead you to your target.

when i first began playing it was my dart partner who introduced me to the game. he hadnt played since he was a kid. he learned math a completely differnt way than i did. (waldorf school student) he actual adds numbers together to subtract them. His math skills are so far ahead of mine its embarrasing. He immediately started at a 10 rating on darts live and went up to a 14 within the year. (AB doubles) this is after no throwing since he was 8 years old!! this was a bout 5 years ago.  He showed me how to see the board as large segments first. then how to hit the segments or miss the preferred target yet remain within the segment to still leave out shot options. He then helped me rethink the way i added to minimize the sparks he must have seen coming out of my ears. my gears literally grind when im thinking. lol  anyway, when you know the options, including what you would need after a miss it helps the flow.  much easier said than done! This is a major reason why im blown away by the top PDC players. they are calculating options, including misses, even in the 300's range so they can leave the 170 out!!

its not just the guys with the best throw that are the best. Its the guys with the ability to literally let their math lead their rythm/darts.

as a beginner, i would work from the math to the board. Throw a dart, then the next and do the math prior to the next dart leaving your hand. always know where your at. then toss the next one. to the point at the very least you know what segment you should be throwing at. start at 101 and play 10 games. add the 10 up and figure out your average. strive to beat your average at all times. if you think thats to easy or get bored than try 301. shouldnt take to long to throw 10 games. throw a game of cricket it in as a break, or around the board. 

one thing i try never to do anymore is "Work on my throw".  I have found for myself that i get "lost" trying to improve by feel or trying new things that will miraculously turn me into a top notch player right at that moment. Its never happened for me and only hurt my technique and averages. The only thing that makes me better personally is writing down my averages and working hard to improve them. the math leads me to improvement. literally.

in closing, i will leave you with one of my favorite mottos which is, "only winners keep score".
Thanks for sharing!
(03-27-2018, 11:08 PM)Rickoshea Wrote: my 2c

1. math skills
2. rythm

for me having a rythm to the throw helps a lot. its hard to keep a rythm when you dont know what you need to hit. the easiest way i can explain this is, the math needs to lead you to your target.

when i first began playing it was my dart partner who introduced me to the game. he hadnt played since he was a kid. he learned math a completely differnt way than i did. (waldorf school student) he actual adds numbers together to subtract them. His math skills are so far ahead of mine its embarrasing. He immediately started at a 10 rating on darts live and went up to a 14 within the year. (AB doubles) this is after no throwing since he was 8 years old!! this was a bout 5 years ago.  He showed me how to see the board as large segments first. then how to hit the segments or miss the preferred target yet remain within the segment to still leave out shot options. He then helped me rethink the way i added to minimize the sparks he must have seen coming out of my ears. my gears literally grind when im thinking. lol  anyway, when you know the options, including what you would need after a miss it helps the flow.  much easier said than done! This is a major reason why im blown away by the top PDC players. they are calculating options, including misses, even in the 300's range so they can leave the 170 out!!

its not just the guys with the best throw that are the best. Its the guys with the ability to literally let their math lead their rythm/darts.

as a beginner, i would work from the math to the board. Throw a dart, then the next and do the math prior to the next dart leaving your hand. always know where your at. then toss the next one. to the point at the very least you know what segment you should be throwing at. start at 101 and play 10 games. add the 10 up and figure out your average. strive to beat your average at all times. if you think thats to easy or get bored than try 301. shouldnt take to long to throw 10 games. throw a game of cricket it in as a break, or around the board. 

one thing i try never to do anymore is "Work on my throw".  I have found for myself that i get "lost" trying to improve by feel or trying new things that will miraculously turn me into a top notch player right at that moment. Its never happened for me and only hurt my technique and averages. The only thing that makes me better personally is writing down my averages and working hard to improve them. the math leads me to improvement. literally.

in closing, i will leave you with one of my favorite mottos which is, "only winners keep score".

Missed this earlier.  Some really good thoughts here.  Well expressed...
good
Thanks.
Thanks.. I have to try that tip 1. My way of aiming is constantly changing while trying to learn what works..
time and lots of work is the key Smile
For me, going from a beginner to a decent player was all about getting the time in on the board. Once you have a set of darts you are comfortable with, a grip that you can consistently release, and a solid arm motion, it’s just practice.

Going from a decent player (for me in soft tip: 24-28 MPR in 01 and 2.5-2.9 PPR in cricket)  to an upper league player (E.g soft tip: ~32  MPR in 01 and ~3.75 PPR in cricket) took this from me:  LOTS more board time, playing in some competitive events, practicing against players who are better than you, and self-confidence.

Going from an upper league player to the next level......not sure what it’s going to take.
As a beginner, I agree that as I have tinkered with follow-through, it has really helped.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  my way for beginners part 10 nightcrawler 14 1,999 02-23-2020, 10:18 AM
Last Post: nightcrawler
  Money saving tip for beginners Trukje 12 1,570 02-14-2020, 12:48 AM
Last Post: Rosselot
  What are the top 3 things players new to the game want to know? nixer55 16 707 04-30-2019, 03:39 PM
Last Post: Borisbbadd
  Darts General Orientation (Dartsnutz University: Beginners Level) guest2 17 9,174 02-07-2019, 08:07 PM
Last Post: ME27
  Useful Bobby George video for beginners. Boneshaker 11 1,150 11-29-2018, 01:40 AM
Last Post: Boneshaker
  my way for beginners part 3 nightcrawler 11 2,949 09-19-2018, 05:27 PM
Last Post: woodmagnet
  my way for beginners part2 nightcrawler 13 2,882 09-19-2018, 03:52 PM
Last Post: Kavel
  my way for beginners part 1 nightcrawler 19 4,763 09-02-2018, 01:34 PM
Last Post: Godfather4074
  my way for beginners part 8 nightcrawler 9 2,069 08-30-2018, 03:26 PM
Last Post: Kolby Irving
  my way for beginners part 7 nightcrawler 8 2,248 08-30-2018, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Kolby Irving