Robson's = More Deflections?
I have been using Robson Shape flights going on 4 months now. I absolutely love the durability, BUT, I am starting to think that the durability/rigidity is adding to the amount of deflections I'm getting. I was using Pro Grip Spins with them but I found that they loosened up too quickly and the little "rattle" drove me nuts! So, I went with plain old nylons. I honestly didn't notice the deflections that much with the spinners but I don't think I was as aware of them either. As my game is improving I am starting to appreciate the finer points and I didn't realize how much a deflection might affect my play. I am coming to accept that durability is great, but not at the cost of game play. So, before I revamp my list for my next DC order, are there less deflections with a 75 or 100 micron flight, simply because they are thinner? Also, I have heard that many pros keep their set-up simple, not even using springs or rings. Is this to allow the flight to just pop off if need be? I'm thinking maybe to keep the Robson's for practice and use regular flights when it counts. Thoughts?
I'll comment on the last bit you mentioned Ted.  Whatever you switch too or don't from the Robson's, use the same for both your practice sessions and matches/league etc...

The grand game is all about consistency and your darts/setup are two that you can actually control.

All the best in finding that setup that works best for you, have fun doing it as well. Smile
(03-30-2018, 02:17 PM)Great White North Wrote: I'll comment on the last bit you mentioned Ted.  Whatever you switch too or don't from the Robson's, use the same for both your practice sessions and matches/league etc...

The grand game is all about consistency and your darts/setup are two that you can actually control.

All the best in finding that setup that works best for you, have fun doing it as well. Smile

In all of my over-thinking, I didn't consider that the Robson's are likely heavier and would throw differently than a regular flight. I will stick with what I'm used to for now but maybe toss a couple of regular flights in my basket for the sake of experimenting!
I don't think Robsons would cause more defelctions because of their durability. Of course, the longer the stems are, the less deflection there is. At least I guess. And spinners do help as well. I've tried the spinners recently too with robsons (I use the fantails) and I kind of liked them but now I've been using longer stems (either Gripper 3 medium or Pro grip size 4). As far as the durability was mentioned, I thought it would be better... However, I kind of like this set up. I'd say there's less drag than with 150 micron flights with titanium slot lock rings that I used otherwise.
(03-30-2018, 05:05 PM)elevendarter Wrote: I don't think Robsons would cause more defelctions because of their durability. Of course, the longer the stems are, the less deflection there is. At least I guess. And spinners do help as well. I've tried the spinners recently too with robsons (I use the fantails) and I kind of liked them but now I've been using longer stems (either Gripper 3 medium or Pro grip size 4). As far as the durability was mentioned, I thought it would be better... However, I kind of like this set up. I'd say there's less drag than with 150 micron flights with titanium slot lock rings that I used otherwise.

By durability, I was meaning rigidity, that the thicker material made the vanes stiffer. I really liked the Pro grip Spins with the Robson's but they get loose too quick for me. I was drawn to the Robson's because I was robin hooding a lot and I liked how they covered the stem. Always a trade-off I guess. I was even considering champagne caps or whizlocks with normal flights but then I'm adding more to the mix. Back to the lab I guess!
You can change spinners more often if they get loose but I get it that it isn't the best advice. The best spinners (rattle-wise) were the Target Silencers. They spin at the bottom of the stem. Discontinued though.

Also, you should consider switching for 19's etc. now and then when it is likely you'll get a deflection.

I constantly change my stuff but right now I am happier with Unicorn Gripper 3 stems as they're a fraction lighter than Pro Grips and what is more, if flight hits other flights, it is more likely it falls out of the Grippers than from the tight Pro Grips (which are imo the best nylon shafts you can get). These Gripper 3 also look good with Robsons. Thing is, for you, that Pro Grip Spins are made in other lengths than Grippers 3...
Have you tried SlipStiks or Bulls SideWings? I use SlipStiks and they bend out of the way nicely on close groupings.

[Image: 40044213562_88cce74fd0_b.jpg]

Target 9Five Generation 3s Cool  23.g (weighted 22s) 32mm points.  How can I miss with them arrows?  Undecided   

(03-31-2018, 07:45 AM)DanC.Licks Wrote: Have you tried SlipStiks or Bulls SideWings? I use SlipStiks and they bend out of the way nicely on close groupings.

Robson flights wouldn't work with sliksticks or sideloaders - they are similar to L-Style flights but don't need a champagne or slot lock ring

[Image: bullsrobsonplus_dartflights_standardviolet_sm.png]
Ah..... doooohhhh.... Confused 
Big Grin

[Image: 40044213562_88cce74fd0_b.jpg]

Target 9Five Generation 3s Cool  23.g (weighted 22s) 32mm points.  How can I miss with them arrows?  Undecided   

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  robson flights bdebbane 14 1,098 05-22-2019, 04:19 PM
Last Post: elevendarter
  New Robson's? Ted Woodside 7 1,223 01-13-2019, 02:31 PM
Last Post: SparkVendetta
  Robson Plus Flights?? A new sort of Cosmo flight MichelBarre 65 13,609 04-16-2016, 08:53 AM
Last Post: Getagrip