Backboard Suggestion
I'm working on getting my board set up at a new house. I wanted to try to make a custom backboard so the wall doesn't get too dinged up. Anyone have any suggestions on the cheaper side than buying a pre-made one?

Thanks!
Yes. I made my own back in the day, for not much money and looks sweet, and is easy to do. I have a series of blog posts back in September (I think) 2004. Have a look:

http://www.zeeple.com/2004/09/

Yup all the posts about the backboard are in that month. You'll have to scroll down a ways to see them.
Get a piece of OSB in the 7/16th range, cover it with some cheap carpet----either glued on or simply stapled to it and mount it on the wall. In the center, cut out a square of the carpet so you can mount the bracket to hang the board. The carpet will act as a friction mechanism to prevent the board from freewheeling when hung.

If you want to get a little fancy, trim the outer edges with some 1 by to dress it up a bit.
I see this OP is over a month old so I’m guessing you have made your backboard by now. If not, maybe you will find this helpful.
I started out making the backboard for an e-board but ended up mounting a 2nd set of Gran Mount hardware to a Blade5 so I can swap the boards back and forth as the urge strikes.
Only available to view for active members with 5 or more posts click register to join Smile
Only available to view for active members with 5 or more posts click register to join Smile

cheers