Should I go for 19 instead of 20?
i'm a novice as well, what i do i go for 20 with first dart if i hit it i stay there, if i miss in the 1 or 5 then i move down to 19 for the next two. seems to of helped me improve hope it works for you
Started Playing; Feb 2018
Darts; Harrows Fire 26g 
Highest Out Shot; 120 - S20, T20, D20
180's - 1

You can hit a 9 darter throwing at 19's so if you are happier there you stick to it. Meanwhile keep practising the 20's until you are more confident

Noj
Darts are custom made 19g, made for me by David at Double Dee Darts. Great bloke, highly recommended.

Family is the most important thing in my life Heart Heart

54 years old with a body prematurely turning into a corpse
(04-11-2018, 01:03 PM)Chipdiddytim Wrote: i'm a novice as well, what i do i go for 20 with first dart if i hit it i stay there, if i miss in the 1 or 5 then i move down to 19 for the next two. seems to of helped me improve hope it works for you

That is probably a good strategy because I have a problem with overcompensating when I miss the 20. If I hit a 1 or 5, I often overcompensate with my next dart and hit the 1 or 5 on the other side of the 20.  Sad
(04-13-2018, 09:17 AM)Noj Wrote: You can hit a 9 darter throwing at 19's so if you are happier there you stick to it. Meanwhile keep practising the 20's until you are more confident

Noj

I can only dream of hitting a 9 darter.  LOL   Smile
I tried the 19 for a while. The penalty for missing isn't as severe. But I figure if I'm missing I just need a ton more practice. I can hit 20 better than I can hit 19. Also something that apparently needs work.
I don't see any problems at playing 19 because I am playing at them as well. There are some pros and cons in the beginning as you're not as used to the game. For example, con would be that doubles in the upper part could be harder to throw if you need to checkout...let's say 40, 36, 24 or 2 - if the situation is the worst Big Grin The pro is exactly as lots of people mentioned. The loss is not as big as at the 20s.

On the other hand, look at this:
S20 S20 S1 - 41
S19 S19 S3 - 41

S20 S20 S5 - 45
S19 S19 S7 - 45

As you can see, it is not as super, that you could think of. You should try what is better for you, but for the beginners is 19 a good choice. (Even though I know players who play for example at 16s and they're not that bad at it...)
(04-13-2018, 09:17 AM)Noj Wrote: You can hit a 9 darter throwing at 19's so if you are happier there you stick to it. Meanwhile keep practising the 20's until you are more confident

Noj

Not exactly.  You need at least one triple 20 in the 1st 6 darts.
If all of your 1st 6 are triple 19's you're sitting on 159, which requires more than 3 darts.
Going for the bullseye helped me when I first started in my league any part of the bull is worth 50. I would always go for the 20 and end up hitting 1s or 5s but now I am comfortable going for anything.
I find the 20 woes are born from going at the 60 right away. So the 60 becomes the highest point of your throw for the most part of the session.
I tend to warm up on d20, this normally sorts out my range on the t20 when it comes to scoring.
I have trouble aiming at the same thing over and over again. I get kinda burned out. I play a lot of cricket, so I'm comfortable moving around the board. I like to throw six darts at the 20, and six darts at the 19. Maybe even some cheeky bulls or 18's. Keeps the board fresh and helps me find my range. I noticed MVG will go triple 20,19,18 every now and then, even if he hits the 20 perfect. I assume he does this to help him find his range and avoid 20 fatigue as well. As a warm up game, I like to play gentleman's cricket and 501 at the same time. If you throw perfect cricket darts, you can finish gentleman's cricket and checkout 501 in 10 darts. Gotta find them trebles any way you can Smile