BDO World Darts Trophy 2018
(06-02-2018, 04:56 PM)Crusher17 Wrote:
(06-02-2018, 04:53 PM)Mack Wrote:
(06-02-2018, 04:35 PM)Crusher17 Wrote: Just watching the replay, to answer Mack's question i could hold this in my garage & there would still be room to move around

Really, I don't know why the top players stay.  There are still a few who are capable of making a living from this but it was clear in January that the people running it don't know anything about promoting or growing an event.  The Lakeside only survives because of the history of the venue and TV coverage.
The BDO is run bad pure & simple, i'm watching the replay Montgomery just threw a 102 avg there might be 30-40 people in the crowd if that im being generous saying that many people

Good darts that but you can't run an event like this and still have a business.
Mack The Knife
The Williams will be gone at the AGM in August.  I don't know whether Des will get elected in or not, but I think he has more business sense than the Williams have, and if he is elected then hopefully he brings in the right sort of people to try and lift the BDO out of the mess caused from the last however many years.

Anyway, tonights session is on Premier Sports in the UK, and not sure but it looks like the youtube stream for tonight isn't geoblocked for the UK - if it is then I'll be going back to the PDC event - link for tonight starting in just over 10 minutes

(06-02-2018, 04:53 PM)Mack Wrote:
(06-02-2018, 04:35 PM)Crusher17 Wrote: Just watching the replay, to answer Mack's question i could hold this in my garage & there would still be room to move around

Really, I don't know why the top players stay.  There are still a few who are capable of making a living from this but it was clear in January that the people running it don't know anything about promoting or growing an event.  The Lakeside only survives because of the history of the venue and TV coverage.

At this point, I believe the top players are staying because they have no desire to go professionals. Call it a love for the amateur game and the will to keep their regular jobs, or call it lack of ambition. Clearly if anyone wants to make a name for themselves, even the PDC Challenge Tour seems a better choice now.
(06-02-2018, 06:49 PM)mc1958 Wrote: The Williams will be gone at the AGM in August.  I don't know whether Des will get elected in or not, but I think he has more business sense than the Williams have, and if he is elected then hopefully he brings in the right sort of people to try and lift the BDO out of the mess caused from the last however many years.

Anyway, tonights session is on Premier Sports in the UK, and not sure but it looks like the youtube stream for tonight isn't geoblocked for the UK - if it is then I'll be going back to the PDC event - link for tonight starting in just over 10 minutes

Des clearly cares about the BDO and wants to improve it however I feel it might be beyond repair. Throwing out 70-80 thousand pounds for TV events which barely get attention from the casual fans is definitely not the way to go.

And I think they said the stream will be available in the UK tonight because of the change of channels.
It's not Des that has been flushing that money down the drain on this event (and the Masters), it is purely the Williams on an ego trip. I'm actually guessing that this event won't take place again next year if Des does get elected. I'm not a fan of him or Paula but they have both done well in business previously, and if elected I hope he is given time to try and make some headway in sorting out the mess.
Oh, and the stream is available in the UK - I've just put it on on my tv
at least the bar won't be overcrowded!
DARTS-Phase 5 purist/ Power 9fives 26g/ Unicorn RvB 25g
SHAFTS-Target Power shaft gen 1 (intermediate) 
FLIGHTS-The ones' on my signature
BOARD-Winmau blade 5 dual core
BOARD-Winmau Diamond
BOARD-unicorn eclipse HD trainer board
SET UP-Wall mounted cabinet
HA'WAY THE TOON  Smile
Newcastle United Premier League survivors 2018-19 season
[Image: ZL8JXbT.png]
Watching right now , the crowd barely clap when there's a 180 , it's like being at a library . The BDO must be paying these players peanuts , I can't imagine how they are making a profit from this ? TV rights ? It's certainly not the crowd . Shame because it would be nice to have 2 competing factions so that more players can get a chance at some money . Sadly I think the BDO is on its last legs .
Barneveld Phase 5 24gms .
[Image: fb-banksy-header.png]
(06-02-2018, 08:49 PM)Rolaball Wrote: Watching right now , the crowd barely clap when there's a 180 , it's like being at a library . The BDO must be paying these players peanuts , I can't imagine how they are making a profit from this ? TV rights ? It's certainly not the crowd . Shame because it would be nice to have 2 competing factions so that more players can get a chance at some money . Sadly I think the BDO is on its last legs .

they aren't making a profit on this event, it's just a last fling ego trip for the Williams before they leave the board and will cost the BDO many thousands of pounds.  It should have been called off ages ago when it was obvious that ticket sales would be low, or better still not even put on the calendar to start with after the losses of the event the last two years.
coverage is useless cameramans got the dts',signal keeps going
and whos'this new Korean player Back Soon
DARTS-Phase 5 purist/ Power 9fives 26g/ Unicorn RvB 25g
SHAFTS-Target Power shaft gen 1 (intermediate) 
FLIGHTS-The ones' on my signature
BOARD-Winmau blade 5 dual core
BOARD-Winmau Diamond
BOARD-unicorn eclipse HD trainer board
SET UP-Wall mounted cabinet
HA'WAY THE TOON  Smile
Newcastle United Premier League survivors 2018-19 season
[Image: ZL8JXbT.png]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Winmau World Masters 2018 mc1958 75 4,675 10-09-2018, 06:49 AM
Last Post: 25g-grizzly