Darts disappoinment USA
(02-14-2018, 12:13 AM)JayPro Wrote: I find it hard to believe, too, that some guys in both leagues I play in will throw at the 20 with 72 left in ‘01.  Even when their opponent is on a 1 or 2 dart out.  Many of them have been playing longer than I have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I feel like there’s much worse than throwing at 20 with 72 lol. T20 leaves D6, 20 leaves 52...sure i wouldn’t do it myself but plenty of people would. 

now throwing at 20 with 71 or 73 and many many other numbers is just silly. Lots of people have the ‘20 is the highest number so I’ll throw at that until i get to a double’ mentality. Those people usually aren’t very good and would probably prefer cricket.
Match darts - 22g Customs
Best 501 - 11 Darts
Some do it too with 69, 71, 73.... pick an odd number. I did have a guy take out 126 on me with 60, 60, 6 though

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- If it don't fit, force it.  If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway.
- If it ain't broke, you might still be able to fix it.

"Maintain a solid 60.  What you do with your other two darts is up to you" -Unknown

My match darts:  24gm Unicorn Phase 2 Purist, short nylon stems, standard Robson Plus flights.
I'm in the US and prefer 01. I haven't been playing all that long. Cricket is ok, we play sets of best of 3 starting 01 then cricket. If it goes to deciding leg winner of the cork has choice of game or to throw first. Most of the deciders are cricket it seems like. My favorite part of cricket is throwing at the higher trebles more in between the 01 games. Almost like practice in a way I guess.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
(02-13-2018, 09:58 PM)Dorian Wrote:
(02-13-2018, 11:10 AM)Little al Wrote: A member of our league team paid a visit to his relatives in Canada /USA a keen dartist ( steel tip )he asked if there was any chance of a game he was taken out several times to different venues but was disappointed to find the only game they played was cricket he is a good player & a few games in he was winning after he got the hang of the game having never played it ,after some of the players left he asked the remaining players if they fancied a game of 301/501 either straight in or double in after a couple of games all but 1 of the players excused themselves & left  my friend got the impression they had no interest in playing 501 out games & seemed baffled by the checkout shots the guy that stayed met up a played several nights with my guy saying he didn't realise how interesting 501 could be as the places he frequented never played it My guy is now back home (France) but the guy who played with him E mail each other & the US guy has said if he brings up playing 501 the other players drift away before or after a couple of games & he cannot find anyone to play more than a couple games he is a bit disappointed as he enjoyed his brief foray into 501 The point of this post is why is it US players to a large degree seem to only play cricket? our league team will play any kind of game if it involves " chucking " darts any thoughts welcomed

I would suggest that the majority of UK darters when introduced to pub darts played 301 DI/DO, this was mainly due to there being only 1 board and several players wanting a game. The winner would remain until beaten, the benefits of this were that games were over quickly and the maths wasn't that hard.
If you wanted to play more you had to keep winning and as the element of competitiveness grew, people practiced more and skill levels rose turning the pastime into a sport. People who just wanted a chuck would get to the pub early in the week when its rarely used and play pointless games like cricket and other meaningless silly games like half-it, killer, Shanghai and so on amongst themselves.

The game of 501 singles was rarely played when I started playing because of the time it took and was mostly a doubles game. Perhaps if people stopped for a minute and questioned why all the other numbers are on the boards they might see they've got it all wrong.

The dartboard was designed for 01 and not these meaningless nonsense games. Regrettably countries where such games dominate will never produce an abundance of quality 01 and steel tip players emerging on to the World Stage. You've all missed the boat and soft-tip (another abomination) has added to the nonsense and turned the sport a parlour game again.

INCOMING!!!

This is what I have found from an English and Australian perspective.  For better or worse 01 is the only proper game of darts and everything else is a party game you'd play with your mates for a laugh.

The idea of playing league or tournament cricket would be the same as playing league or tournament killer or half-it.

Darts: Harrows Glen Durrant Duzza Series 2 24g, short Harrows Supergrip shafts, Harrows flights (Marathon/Retina/Optix/Rapide) 

Best 501: 13 darts (League), 14 darts (Pro Darter)

Best Checkout: 154 (League), 160 (Pro Darter)
(02-14-2018, 12:13 AM)JayPro Wrote: I find it hard to believe, too, that some guys in both leagues I play in will throw at the 20 with 72 left in ‘01.  Even when their opponent is on a 1 or 2 dart out.  Many of them have been playing longer than I have.

I’ve come across a lot of players who just don’t take the time and initiative to 
learn and memorize percentage take outs.And yes ,some of them have been playing a while .
All part of proper Darts IMO.

Match Darts=Target Darryl Fitton,s® 22g

Back ups= Hmmmmm??? ®

And..A few sets of spares .®   Rolleyes
Cheers,
 Ken 

(02-13-2018, 10:51 PM)SpoonyG Wrote:
(02-13-2018, 09:58 PM)Dorian Wrote: The dartboard was designed for 01 and not these meaningless nonsense games.

Is that true? I didn't know the board was designed for the purpose of 01.
Anyways my experience has been cricket rules simply because of the math involved in 01. You have to take the time to first learn the nuances of the math, it's not so easy to just pick up and play, especially in a pub.
When my darts group tried 01 the first few times it was a miserable failure, the math between turns interrupted the flow of the game and everyone hated it. We went back to cricket and never played 01 again.
I actually think points around the world is probably the fairest test of pure dart throwing skill.

"You have to take the time to first learn the nuances of the math, it's not so easy to just pick up and play, especially in a pub."

C'mon Spoony, addition and subtraction of whole numbers is taught to 5 years old in the UK.

If what you say is true its a terrible reflection on the American education system, now I know that with the introduction of electronic calculators people don't think any more and rely on 'the plastic brain' but what happens when the batteries fail?

Cheers Smile
Dorian
Son of Merlin

Caerleon - Wales

(Monster "Milkman" - 22.4Gm, Smooth Gold Points 36mm, Yellow Kite Shape Flights 100 micron & Solid Brass Stems)

[Image: 0mbrxgh.png]

My father Merlin, once told me that "You should end up pointing to what you were aiming at when you've released the Dart."

I'm another American who prefers x01 (mainly 501) over cricket. Checking out a PDC finals match as a related video on YouTube was what got me interested, and 501 is all I played for about a year until I went out to my first tournament, which was a blind draw your partner playing standard cricket (+ triples, doubles, and 3 in a bed). I've warmed up to cricket but it'll probably always be 501 if I were to choose.

Most of my friends who are more casual about the sport prefer cricket, some even without points. The math is one of the big turn-offs for them, but they also get bored getting stuck on a double they can't hit or throwing for 20s every turn until the end, which, for the casual player, are legitimate gripes.
Hi Guys,

I'm glad that this topic has raised a little controversy about the situation in the USA / Canada  and for that matter a lot of Asian countries where Cricket  and soft-tip predominates.
And we've heard a lot of what I feel are defensive comments suggesting that working out finishing combinations and the nuances of mathematics  is in the too hard basket but that's plain daft. When people start playing 01 games remembering finishing combinations is light years away from their ability level it takes dedication to get better first before you concern yourself with such things.

I feel that you guys are basically lazy and justify not playing the real game by saying its all fun etc suggesting that 01 games are not. Perhaps the biggest  frustration for the PDC and other darts associations is that several Americans / Canadians / Asians could be making a name for themselves on the professional circuit.

Being lazy and playing pointless games is the cause, millions of European fans would, I'm certain, love to see many, many more players from the other side of the pond.

Cheers

Dorian

MORE INCOMING!!! Big Grin
Dorian
Son of Merlin

Caerleon - Wales

(Monster "Milkman" - 22.4Gm, Smooth Gold Points 36mm, Yellow Kite Shape Flights 100 micron & Solid Brass Stems)

[Image: 0mbrxgh.png]

My father Merlin, once told me that "You should end up pointing to what you were aiming at when you've released the Dart."

What? You don't like double 6? Smile
(02-14-2018, 02:40 AM)cking10304 Wrote: I'm in the US and prefer 01.  I haven't been playing all that long.  Cricket is ok, we play sets of best of 3 starting 01 then cricket.  If it goes to deciding leg winner of the cork has choice of game or to throw first.  Most of the deciders are cricket it seems like.  My favorite part of cricket is throwing at the higher trebles more in between the 01 games.  Almost like practice in a way I guess.

In cricket/01/choice if you win the cork to decide the final round it makes no sense to choose cricket and let your opponent go first. Going first in cricket is a far bigger advantage than going first in 01. Always choose going first.
I'm with Dorian on this one, I grew up playing DIDO 301 in pubs that only had a single board.
Never have understood the logic of playing a game which only uses a fraction of the board, has far less of a mental challenge and no need to hit a specific though smaller target to win. I relate to darts as a game of skill and strategy with constant recalculation towards finishing before my opponent ( like a poker player calculating percentages when seeing the next card )
Learning your finishes and striving to improve your game is a large part of the addiction for me.
You dont have to be brilliant at maths, just learn the percentage combinations that give you the highest probability of getting to a double first THEN HIT IT.
MVG seems to have an inbuilt out calculator to do this even from around 300 points left, its not rocket science just practice, concentration and muscle memory ( yes your brain has a memory just like a muscle ) put in the time, get the results you have earned and enjoy your rewards
p[Image: GEpKdcf.png] 
Current Board 
ONE80 Gladiator 3 with Corona Surround and Unicorn number ring
Darts
Modified Unicorn Striker with RD medium sparkle stems, hardcore  charcoal flights and Target titanium stem rings   

Playing 40 years on and off and still barely average                 

(02-14-2018, 10:23 AM)bkbum Wrote:
(02-14-2018, 02:40 AM)cking10304 Wrote: I'm in the US and prefer 01.  I haven't been playing all that long.  Cricket is ok, we play sets of best of 3 starting 01 then cricket.  If it goes to deciding leg winner of the cork has choice of game or to throw first.  Most of the deciders are cricket it seems like.  My favorite part of cricket is throwing at the higher trebles more in between the 01 games.  Almost like practice in a way I guess.

In cricket/01/choice if you win the cork to decide the final round it makes no sense to choose cricket and let your opponent go first. Going first in cricket is a far bigger advantage than going first in 01. Always choose going first.
That's why I'm in the final almost every week Wink

(02-14-2018, 10:49 AM)ChrisTheFish Wrote: I'm with Dorian on this one, I grew up playing DIDO 301 in pubs that only had a single board.
Never have understood the logic of playing a game which only uses a fraction of the board, has far less of a mental challenge and no need to hit a specific though smaller target to win. I relate to darts as a game of skill and strategy with constant recalculation towards finishing before my opponent ( like a poker player calculating percentages when seeing the next card )
Learning your finishes and striving to improve your game is a large part of the addiction for me.
You dont have to be brilliant at maths, just learn the percentage combinations that give you the highest probability of getting to a double first THEN HIT IT.
MVG seems to have an inbuilt out calculator to do this even from around 300 points left, its not rocket science just practice, concentration and muscle memory ( yes your brain has a memory just like a muscle ) put in the time, get the results you have earned and enjoy your rewards

This - and very well stated I might add...
(02-14-2018, 08:30 AM)Dorian Wrote: Hi Guys,

I'm glad that this topic has raised a little controversy about the situation in the USA / Canada  and for that matter a lot of Asian countries where Cricket  and soft-tip predominates.
And we've heard a lot of what I feel are defensive comments suggesting that working out finishing combinations and the nuances of mathematics  is in the too hard basket but that's plain daft. When people start playing 01 games remembering finishing combinations is light years away from their ability level it takes dedication to get better first before you concern yourself with such things.

I feel that you guys are basically lazy and justify not playing the real game by saying its all fun etc suggesting that 01 games are not. Perhaps the biggest  frustration for the PDC and other darts associations is that several Americans / Canadians / Asians could be making a name for themselves on the professional circuit.

Being lazy and playing pointless games is the cause, millions of European fans would, I'm certain, love to see many, many more players from the other side of the pond.

Cheers

Dorian

MORE INCOMING!!! Big Grin

Why do you keep including Canada? I’m Canadian and I didn’t know anyone even played cricket before I came on here. Let alone that it was the preferred game in the states. All anyone plays here is 501. Southern Ontario is not equal to Canada.

Same as soft tip darts too. Thought it was a game for children before I signed up here. Guess I was a bit ignorant to the status of both cricket and soft tip but cricket is something I play maybe once a year when you are too drunk to play properly and couldn’t pay me enough to play soft tip. To each their own but it isn’t for me.
(02-13-2018, 11:15 PM)joeriw96 Wrote:
(02-13-2018, 10:51 PM)SpoonyG Wrote: I actually think points around the world is probably the fairest test of pure dart throwing skill.

I can understand why cricket is the easier game to pickup but this statement is ridiculous lol. So if that is the game which is the best test for skilll, shouldn't the PDC just abandon 501 and only play points around the world?!?

Also with any game/sport it takes time to learn and perfect. Even people who don't have a whole lot of skill at darts can put a little time and effort in to learn their maths and outs. Say I had never played chess before yet know the basic rules, it would probably take quite a few games before I actually knew what I was doing.

Clearly he didn't mean PDC should abandoned 501 in favor of around with world points. He stated "It's the fairest test of pure dart throwing skill." Which I would have to agree with. I wouldn't watch much of it, but I see his reasoning behind the statement. After watching a few hundred hours of 501 you see: 20, 19, 18, and MAYBE a 17 thrown. Every great once in a while you'll see something like 3x 13 pop up and then the doubles. Everyone on here brags about how much of the board you use in 501, but at the top level, lets be honest, only about 10% of the numbers are being thrown at. In around the world you'd force these players to throw at the obscure numbers. When was the last time you saw someone deliberately throw at 3x 4? Or TRY to throw at 3x 6? They just aren't throws that come up a lot at the top level. Again, I wholeheartedly believe 501 is where it's at and that the top pros should be deciding who's best with 501. I also agree with the statement that a simple game of around the world points would "test pure throwing skill". I'm a rookie though, so none of this matters!