Darts disappoinment USA
(05-15-2019, 03:13 PM)Dorian Wrote: No need to take this any further let’s drop the subject it’s getting tedious now.

Kind regards

fine with me.
(05-15-2019, 02:19 PM)gumbo2176 Wrote:
(05-15-2019, 01:59 PM)Mac-attack99 Wrote: What i AM saying, is if two players with similar skill levels get into a battle, cricket (IMO) is a better game to prove your skill and consistency. It’s a game of risk and reward. I’ve had games go 50+ rounds and 2500+ points.

And that is both the challenge, AND the problem with Cricket, especially when it's an all Cricket night of league play.   You get 2 equally matched players for every game and those 50 round, 2500 point games take forever to finish and before you know it, you've got 3-4 hours of league play before the matches end and you can head home.
They can take up time, I’ll give you that. Lol but then it turns into a game of endurance. Smile
Darts: 21.5 gm monster cobra I. no.5 soft tips
Flights: l-style Jelle klassen blackout 
Shafts: Silver/black supergrip carbons.
2019 180’s: 10/12
2019 Hat: 143/130

“My biggest problem in life, is overcoming myself... but once I defeated myself, all that was left was peace”-Kevin Gates
(02-14-2018, 08:00 AM)Dorian Wrote:
(02-13-2018, 10:51 PM)SpoonyG Wrote:
(02-13-2018, 09:58 PM)Dorian Wrote: The dartboard was designed for 01 and not these meaningless nonsense games.

Is that true? I didn't know the board was designed for the purpose of 01.
Anyways my experience has been cricket rules simply because of the math involved in 01. You have to take the time to first learn the nuances of the math, it's not so easy to just pick up and play, especially in a pub.
When my darts group tried 01 the first few times it was a miserable failure, the math between turns interrupted the flow of the game and everyone hated it. We went back to cricket and never played 01 again.
I actually think points around the world is probably the fairest test of pure dart throwing skill.

"You have to take the time to first learn the nuances of the math, it's not so easy to just pick up and play, especially in a pub."

C'mon Spoony, addition and subtraction of whole numbers is taught to 5 years old in the UK.

If what you say is true its a terrible reflection on the American education system, now I know that with the introduction of electronic calculators people don't think any more and rely on 'the plastic brain' but what happens when the batteries fail?

Cheers Smile

Bingo!!!!  The daughters of my ex can’t spell 2 syllable words at times.  This “no child left behind” concept leaves all of them in the dust.  I was challenged to be my best in school.  Who challenges themselves when they know they can float and still get by?
[Image: bIcnxOK.png]
If you read this thread all the way through, you might be struck with some similarities.  As well as the obvious different points of view.  Our Cricket friends might talk of strategy - while '01 advocates talk of calculation - or knowing your outs and setups.

The common theme - thinking as opposed to just throwing.  Board or game awareness, as I like to call it.  Most people - the majority I would argue - will be challenged hitting small targets at the level of consistency required to excel.  Yes, they can get better with structured practice, but it's an uphill battle.  And time's not on your side.  Eye hand coordination tends not to increase with age.

But thinking is another story, and is independent of physical prowess.  You can increase your level of thinking and "game awareness'  almost infinitely - just by investing the time and effort. And you will get better results over the long term.  Either by increasing your statistical odds in '01, or working on clever strategy and counter-strategy in Cricket. 

So if it's hard, don't reject it.  Embrace it.  Just might give you the edge nature didn't.  Sure as hell helps me! Tongue

cheers...
(05-17-2019, 05:07 PM)nixer55 Wrote: If you read this thread all the way through, you might be struck with some similarities.  As well as the obvious different points of view.  Our Cricket friends might talk of strategy - while '01 advocates talk of calculation - or knowing your outs and setups.

The common theme - thinking as opposed to just throwing.  Board or game awareness, as I like to call it.  Most people - the majority I would argue - will be challenged hitting small targets at the level of consistency required to excel.  Yes, they can get better with structured practice, but it's an uphill battle.  And time's not on your side.  Eye hand coordination tends not to increase with age.

But thinking is another story, and is independent of physical prowess.  You can increase your level of thinking and "game awareness'  almost infinitely - just by investing the time and effort. An you will get better results over the long term.  Either by increasing your statistical odds in '01, or working on clever strategy and counter-strategy in Cricket. 

So if it's hard, don't reject it.  Embrace it.  Just might give you the edge nature didn't.  Sure as hell helps me! Tongue

cheers...

well said.
I'm glad I finally learned 01 this past year and enjoy both games.  
Both games have pros/cons, but assuming both players have equal board awareness accuracy will prevail.
(05-15-2019, 02:58 PM)holmesness Wrote: Always such a polarizing issue... Dorian, no need to call it sad or rubbish just because you don't like it.  You're allowed to have an opinion, but please don't belittle the many of us who don't see it that way.

American Darts doesn't develop because no kid in the USA ever decides they want to be a professional dart player.  It's not on TV or in the media at all.  Zero.  Most over here start dabbling in darts when they get to legal drinking age and see it in bars.  Even then, most only play when they go out.  To say that Cricket holds American players back is ridiculous. There's nothing wrong with the game, and it's not sad to prefer the head to head.

I don't think Cricket is the thing holding American players back from becoming the level of those on the other side of the pond.  It is that the play is limited to bars (pubs) and maybe the odd tournament.  I played at the age of 12 and became pretty good playing Cricket and '01, but I did not have the option to play outside the odd bar that would let me play until it was to late for kids.  That is what caused me to quit for several years.  I have since picked it back up and it has taken me some time to knock the rust off and now I am only just getting better than what I was.
(05-17-2019, 03:53 PM)Cat Wrote:
(02-14-2018, 08:00 AM)Dorian Wrote:
(02-13-2018, 10:51 PM)SpoonyG Wrote:
(02-13-2018, 09:58 PM)Dorian Wrote: The dartboard was designed for 01 and not these meaningless nonsense games.

Is that true? I didn't know the board was designed for the purpose of 01.
Anyways my experience has been cricket rules simply because of the math involved in 01. You have to take the time to first learn the nuances of the math, it's not so easy to just pick up and play, especially in a pub.
When my darts group tried 01 the first few times it was a miserable failure, the math between turns interrupted the flow of the game and everyone hated it. We went back to cricket and never played 01 again.
I actually think points around the world is probably the fairest test of pure dart throwing skill.

"You have to take the time to first learn the nuances of the math, it's not so easy to just pick up and play, especially in a pub."

C'mon Spoony, addition and subtraction of whole numbers is taught to 5 years old in the UK.

If what you say is true its a terrible reflection on the American education system, now I know that with the introduction of electronic calculators people don't think any more and rely on 'the plastic brain' but what happens when the batteries fail?

Cheers Smile

Bingo!!!!  The daughters of my ex can’t spell 2 syllable words at times.  This “no child left behind” concept leaves all of them in the dust.  I was challenged to be my best in school.  Who challenges themselves when they know they can float and still get by?
I’m responding to the MATH aspect of darts, in Australia the education system has been woeful regarding many subjects, unlike the traditional British system of my youth which sadly has also disintegrated nowadays. This has consequently resulted in the widespread inability of several adults not being able to do very basic writing and arithmetic without a laptop or calculator.

When I was in business I was astonished at how badly this relaxed and very easy going attitude to education here in Australia left adults appear so ignorant spelling wise when having to provide resumes for employment. 
They called it the Lucky Country and no wonder because there was no real pressure put on children to do well as individuals as work was so abundant. In schools, it was a case of the class having to wait for slow Johnny to catch up rather than push those eager and able to progress.

An example of this would be my niece who joined a public school system here direct from the UK, aged 12 and was soon found to be at least 2 years ahead of the brightest in her class. 
Now she’s no genius but the teachers decided to let her while away her time doing crosswords or some other form of distraction whilst the locals caught up during lessons.

Similarly instead of the proven methods of teaching basic times tables, subtraction, addition, division, and multiplication being given to all students and treated seriously, the powers that be, encouraged the widespread use of calculators instead.

Spelling likewise, degenerated significantly when ‘phonetic’ spelling was regarded as ‘fine’ rather than having weekly spelling tests and vocabulary lessons. Electronic spell checkers replaced good reading regimens and dictionaries were electronically stored on an ‘App’.

The joke about the 3R’s Reading, Riting and Rithmatic is tragically very poignant.

Back to the original 01 darts game with chalk board scoring, it offers all a worthwhile post school arithmetic refresher as it involves all the basics. Especially when trying to select the best finishing options 6 darts ahead.

Wiv reegard too Spelin it’s not much cop ... cos havin a reel propa educasion to begin wiv like wot I got is moor yousful.

Cheers  Big Grin
Dorian
Son of Merlin

Caerleon - Wales

(Monster "Milkman" - 22.4Gm, Smooth Gold Points 36mm, Yellow Kite Shape Flights 100 micron & Solid Brass Stems)

[Image: 0mbrxgh.png]

My father Merlin, once told me that "You should end up pointing to what you were aiming at when you've released the Dart."

(05-18-2019, 09:14 PM)Dorian Wrote: Bingo!!!!  The daughters of my ex can’t spell 2 syllable words at times.  This “no child left behind” concept leaves all of them in the dust.  I was challenged to be my best in school.  Who challenges themselves when they know they can float and still get by?
I’m responding to the MATH aspect of darts, in Australia the education system has been woeful regarding many subjects, unlike the traditional British system of my youth which sadly has also disintegrated nowadays. This has consequently resulted in the widespread inability of several adults not being able to do very basic writing and arithmetic without a laptop or calculator.

When I was in business I was astonished at how badly this relaxed and very easy going attitude to education here in Australia left adults appear so ignorant spelling wise when having to provide resumes for employment. 
They called it the Lucky Country and no wonder because there was no real pressure put on children to do well as individuals as work was so abundant. In schools, it was a case of the class having to wait for slow Johnny to catch up rather than push those eager and able to progress.

An example of this would be my niece who joined a public school system here direct from the UK, aged 12 and was soon found to be at least 2 years ahead of the brightest in her class. 
Now she’s no genius but the teachers decided to let her while away her time doing crosswords or some other form of distraction whilst the locals caught up during lessons.

Similarly instead of the proven methods of teaching basic times tables, subtraction, addition, division, and multiplication being given to all students and treated seriously, the powers that be, encouraged the widespread use of calculators instead.

Spelling likewise, degenerated significantly when ‘phonetic’ spelling was regarded as ‘fine’ rather than having weekly spelling tests and vocabulary lessons. Electronic spell checkers replaced good reading regimens and dictionaries were electronically stored on an ‘App’.

The joke about the 3R’s Reading, Riting and Rithmatic is tragically very poignant.

Back to the original 01 darts game with chalk board scoring, it offers all a worthwhile post school arithmetic refresher as it involves all the basics. Especially when trying to select the best finishing options 6 darts ahead.

Wiv reegard too Spelin it’s not much cop ... cos havin a reel propa educasion to begin wiv like wot I got is moor yousful.

Cheers  Big Grin

TLDR summary: Cricket is rubbish, silly, and irrelevant  (per your previous posts) because there's no rithmatic.
I'd say that's a narrow interpretation at best.  Personalising the issue at worst.  Hope no TLDR summaries required...
(05-20-2019, 12:09 AM)nixer55 Wrote: I'd say that's a narrow interpretation at best.  Personalising the issue at worst.  Hope no TLDR summaries required...

Ok Nixer, sorry but Dorian got under my skin a bit with some of the following unnecessarily demeaning quotes. As an American who enjoys Cricket (and sees the beauty of -01) I can't help but take the following personally:

"Play the World Game not this rubbish... I must add that I believe you’ve become a victim of the cult following this game affords in Asia and North America so it’s not your fault."

"For the sake of American Darts I wish they’d dump this silly game....yes it’s a daft game only designed to be a practice game like killer etc....Even the name you’ve devised for it is silly and irrelevant."

"The way you are embellishing this silly game is rather sad and the “head to head” comment is absurd get over it it’s a silly nonsense game."