Darts disappoinment USA
I watched the Dartslive exhibition match where Takehiro played against Phil Taylor, that guy was talking about 'ambush' and 'tricky plays', in the end can't do anything against Phil, I fail to see what strategy there is. It's all about accuracy.
Fav Dart : Harrows Nemesis 20g softip & RAZR Bulbous  20g softip
Shaft      : Harrows Heavy Metal 4g brass
Flight      : Harrows Hologram Fantail, Dimplex, Velos
Points     : Cosmo Fit Point + , CHEAP Harrows Conversion Points
Board     : Harrows Pro Matchplay
Machine  : VSPhoenix
OCD Darter!! Shy

(05-15-2019, 01:59 PM)Mac-attack99 Wrote: What i AM saying, is if two players with similar skill levels get into a battle, cricket (IMO) is a better game to prove your skill and consistency. It’s a game of risk and reward. I’ve had games go 50+ rounds and 2500+ points.

And that is both the challenge, AND the problem with Cricket, especially when it's an all Cricket night of league play.   You get 2 equally matched players for every game and those 50 round, 2500 point games take forever to finish and before you know it, you've got 3-4 hours of league play before the matches end and you can head home.
gumbo2176
(02-13-2018, 11:10 AM)RLittle al Wrote: A member of our league team paid a visit to his relatives in Canada /USA a keen dartist ( steel tip )he asked if there was any chance of a game he was taken out several times to different venues but was disappointed to find the only game they played was cricket he is a good player & a few games in he was winning after he got the hang of the game having never played it ,after some of the players left he asked the remaining players if they fancied a game of 301/501 either straight in or double in after a couple of games all but 1 of the players excused themselves & left  my friend got the impression they had no interest in playing 501 out games & seemed baffled by the checkout shots the guy that stayed met up a played several nights with my guy saying he didn't realise how interesting 501 could be as the places he frequented never played it My guy is now back home (France) but the guy who played with him E mail each other & the US guy has said if he brings up playing 501 the other players drift away before or after a couple of games & he cannot find anyone to play more than a couple games he is a bit disappointed as he enjoyed his brief foray into 501 The point of this post is why is it US players to a large degree seem to only play cricket? our league team will play any kind of game if it involves " chucking " darts any thoughts welcomed
For the sake of American Darts I wish they’d dump this silly game....yes it’s a daft game only designed to be a practice game like killer etc.

Regrettably this nonsense has become entrenched in the American psyche.

It could be that those who play it are lazy and can not deduct when scoring but whatever the reason Darts will NEVER reach PDC levels until it is dumped.
Like Soft-Tip darts and electronic dartboards I find them very poor imitators of the real thing and “cricket” I find absolutely boring and meaningless!

Even the name you’ve devised for it is silly and irrelevant.
Dorian
Son of Merlin

Caerleon - Wales

(Monster "Milkman" - 22.4Gm, Smooth Gold Points 36mm, Yellow Kite Shape Flights 100 micron & Solid Brass Stems)

[Image: 0mbrxgh.png]

My father Merlin, once told me that "You should end up pointing to what you were aiming at when you've released the Dart."

Cricket is more a head to head game where what you hit affects what your opponent has to hit, and vice versa. The back and forth batters are fun, and something that can't happen in 501. In only 501 the "battles" are the choking on 2 over and over... There's only a few instances in 501 where a good player might shoot a little differently depending on where their opponent is.

Both games are great. I'm sure a lot of personal preference has to do with which one was learned first. I didn't understand 501 until recently and was resistant to playing it; now I get it and like it, but still prefer the head to head aspect of Cricket. BTW I think the thing that rubs a lot of people wrong about Cricket is the so called "strategy" argument. Strategy is not the right word; it's forcing the other player into holes and seeing if they can emerge.
(05-15-2019, 02:40 PM)holmesness Wrote: Cricket is more a head to head game where what you hit affects what your opponent has to hit, and vice versa.  The back and forth batters are fun, and something that can't happen in 501.  In only 501 the "battles" are the choking on 2 over and over... There's only a few instances in 501 where a good player might shoot a little differently depending on where their opponent is.  

Both games are great.  I'm sure a lot of personal preference has to do with which one was learned first.  I didn't understand 501 until recently and was resistant to playing it; now I get it and like it, but still prefer the head to head aspect of Cricket.  BTW I think the thing that rubs a lot of people wrong about Cricket is the so called "strategy" argument.  Strategy is not the right word; it's forcing the other player into holes and seeing if they can emerge.

Again you’ve shown us all why the overall standard in American Darts can never be given a chance to develop.
The way you are embellishing this silly game is rather sad and the “head to head” comment is absurd get over it it’s a silly nonsense game.

Play the World Game not this rubbish... I must add that I believe you’ve become a victim of the cult following this game affords in Asia and North America so it’s not your fault.

Cheers
Dorian
Son of Merlin

Caerleon - Wales

(Monster "Milkman" - 22.4Gm, Smooth Gold Points 36mm, Yellow Kite Shape Flights 100 micron & Solid Brass Stems)

My father Merlin, once told me that "You should end up pointing to what you were aiming at when you've released the Dart."

Always such a polarizing issue... Dorian, no need to call it sad or rubbish just because you don't like it. You're allowed to have an opinion, but please don't belittle the many of us who don't see it that way.

American Darts doesn't develop because no kid in the USA ever decides they want to be a professional dart player. It's not on TV or in the media at all. Zero. Most over here start dabbling in darts when they get to legal drinking age and see it in bars. Even then, most only play when they go out. To say that Cricket holds American players back is ridiculous. There's nothing wrong with the game, and it's not sad to prefer the head to head.
(05-15-2019, 02:58 PM)L7holmesness Wrote: Always such a polarizing issue... Dorian, no need to call it sad or rubbish just because you don't like it.  You're allowed to have an opinion, but please don't belittle the many of us who don't see it that way.

American Darts doesn't develop because no kid in the USA ever decides they want to be a professional dart player.  It's not on TV or in the media at all.  Zero.  Most over here start dabbling in darts when they get to legal drinking age and see it in bars.  Even then, most only play when they go out.  To say that Cricket holds American players back is ridiculous. There's nothing wrong with the game, and it's not sad to prefer the head to head.

Fair enough, I accept your criticism but as you say I am allowed my opinion too.

Why do you call it Cricket it’s like calling ping pong Tennis?

Cheers
Dorian
Son of Merlin

Caerleon - Wales

(05-15-2019, 02:48 PM)Dorian Wrote:
(05-15-2019, 02:40 PM)holmesness Wrote: Cricket is more a head to head game where what you hit affects what your opponent has to hit, and vice versa.  The back and forth batters are fun, and something that can't happen in 501.  In only 501 the "battles" are the choking on 2 over and over... There's only a few instances in 501 where a good player might shoot a little differently depending on where their opponent is.  

Both games are great.  I'm sure a lot of personal preference has to do with which one was learned first.  I didn't understand 501 until recently and was resistant to playing it; now I get it and like it, but still prefer the head to head aspect of Cricket.  BTW I think the thing that rubs a lot of people wrong about Cricket is the so called "strategy" argument.  Strategy is not the right word; it's forcing the other player into holes and seeing if they can emerge.

Again you’ve shown us all why the overall standard in American Darts can never be given a chance to develop.
The way you are embellishing this silly game is rather sad and the “head to head” comment is absurd get over it it’s a silly nonsense game.

Play the World Game not this rubbish... I must add that I believe you’ve become a victim of the cult following this game affords in Asia and North America so it’s not your fault.

Cheers
just quoting in case you edit your post so others could see what I responding to.  Oh sorry, you probably don't like me ending my sentence with a preposition either.  Sorry that about!
(05-15-2019, 03:10 PM)holmesness Wrote:
(05-15-2019, 02:48 PM)Dorian Wrote:

Cheers
just quoting in case you edit your post so others could see what I responding to.  Oh sorry, you probably don't like me ending my sentence with a preposition either.  Sorry that about!
No need to take this any further let’s drop the subject it’s getting tedious now.

Kind regards
Dorian
Son of Merlin

Caerleon - Wales

I enjoy a game of cricket. A close game can be exciting and strategy certainly plays a role.

That said, I feel it is fundamentally flawed as a game.

With no round limit the game could go on forever. With a round limit, you could both only shoot at one number for the whole game.

I quite like no score cricket as a practice game. It eliminates the pointing nonsense and is just a race to close everything. I also like the extended version where you add Trebles, Doubles and 3 in a Bed. Something else I like about these variants us that they can easily be handicapped, e.g. you need 2 marks to close a number, I need 4 marks.

I enjoy playing different variations of darts but 01 is where it's at for me.