Darts disappoinment USA
(02-13-2018, 11:22 PM)gumbo2176 Wrote: The league in my area on Tuesday nights play about half and half between 01 and Cricket, however, there is Thursday night designated strictly for Cricket league and none for 01 only-----and that sucks.

My experience of playing over 30 years in the deep south sees most players wanting to play Cricket over 01 by about 3-1 when playing pick-up games in venues.

One bar I frequent to play against league players finds us playing the following series.    Best of three 301 DI/DO followed by best of 3 Cricket and it a decider is needed 1 game of 501.   I've tried to get them to go with best of 3 x 501 but most think it's too long a game.    My reply is to play more and get better at it.

Needs to be said more often IMHO, nice one Gumbo. :thumbup:
(02-13-2018, 04:05 PM)JayPro Wrote: Also, most of the (non-league) people I see playing Cricket only play 'close-out'/no points.

Cricket without points is pointless Big Grin
01 is alot more fun when you can hit tons instead of 26's. Perhaps that is part of it
Started playing again in November 2017 after a 30 year hiatus.

Match darts - XQMax MVG Gen II  23g, Wolfram Infinity 20g Soft

Bottlesen GT's 24g new model, Bottlesen GT’s 24g 1980 model, Bottlesen 20g Gzt Soft, Harrows Pulse 24g, 
Blade 5 DC

180's: Yes
Best finish: 129 ( 19, T20, B) Pro-Darter
(02-13-2018, 11:15 PM)joeriw96 Wrote:
(02-13-2018, 10:51 PM)SpoonyG Wrote: I actually think points around the world is probably the fairest test of pure dart throwing skill.

I can understand why cricket is the easier game to pickup but this statement is ridiculous lol. So if that is the game which is the best test for skilll, shouldn't the PDC just abandon 501 and only play points around the world?!?

Also with any game/sport it takes time to learn and perfect. Even people who don't have a whole lot of skill at darts can put a little time and effort in to learn their maths and outs. Say I had never played chess before yet know the basic rules, it would probably take quite a few games before I actually knew what I was doing.
If you're testing pure dart throwing ability, then the game being played is irrelevant. Hit the most targets, you win. Smaller targets have bigger values because they're harder to hit.
01 adds another layer of strategy based on mathematical options and knowing your tendencies, so it adds some additional interest and competitive value.
But yeah, hitting all the smallest targets around the entire board with all 3 darts is way more difficult than 01.
My wife and son can beat me in 01 if they just manage to hit some decent scores by mistake and then get a shot at a checkout. But, they have never ever come even remotely close to beating me in around the world, they lose by a mile every time, so you tell me which game is more difficult and the truer test of pure throwing skill.
(02-13-2018, 11:37 PM)bkbum Wrote:
(02-13-2018, 04:05 PM)JayPro Wrote: Also, most of the (non-league) people I see playing Cricket only play 'close-out'/no points.

Cricket without points is pointless Big Grin

AND, when these pointless players play a game of Killer Cricket, they are usually lost after a couple turns as the pressure mounts to overtake their opponent.

I love when that happens.
I find it hard to believe, too, that some guys in both leagues I play in will throw at the 20 with 72 left in ‘01. Even when their opponent is on a 1 or 2 dart out. Many of them have been playing longer than I have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- If it don't fit, force it.  If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway.
- If it ain't broke, you might still be able to fix it.

"Maintain a solid 60.  What you do with your other two darts is up to you" -Unknown

My match darts:  24gm Unicorn Phase 2 Purist, short nylon stems, standard Robson Plus flights.
(02-13-2018, 11:48 PM)SpoonyG Wrote: If you're testing pure dart throwing ability, then the game being played is irrelevant. Hit the most targets, you win. Smaller targets have bigger values because they're harder to hit.
01 adds another layer of strategy based on mathematical options and knowing your tendencies, so it adds some additional interest and competitive value.
But yeah, hitting all the smallest targets around the entire board with all 3 darts is way more difficult than 01.
My wife and son can beat me in 01 if they just manage to hit some decent scores by mistake and then get a shot at a checkout. But, they have never ever come even emotely close to beating me in around the world, so you tell me which game is more difficult and the truer test of pure throwing skill.

Then you need to step up and play someone better than the wife and son a few games of "around the entire board" and then get back with us on your rate of success.   I know if I play my wife I just go on cruise control and don't really give it the amount of effort needed to beat an opponent I know I can lose to.
(02-14-2018, 12:14 AM)gumbo2176 Wrote:
(02-13-2018, 11:48 PM)SpoonyG Wrote: If you're testing pure dart throwing ability, then the game being played is irrelevant. Hit the most targets, you win. Smaller targets have bigger values because they're harder to hit.
My wife and son can beat me in 01 if they just manage to hit some decent scores by mistake and then get a shot at a checkout. But, they have never ever come even emotely close to beating me in around the world, so you tell me which game is more difficult and the truer test of pure throwing skill.

Then you need to step up and play someone better than the wife and son a few games of "around the entire board" and then get back with us on your rate of success.   I know if I play my wife I just go on cruise control and don't really give it the amount of effort needed to beat an opponent I know I can lose to.
Put it this way, if you and I played and every time you beat me in 01, and every time I beat you in around the world, I'd conclude you were a better strategic player than me, but I was actually a more accurate thrower.
(02-14-2018, 12:30 AM)SpoonyG Wrote:

Put it this way, if you and I played and every time you beat me in 01, and every time I beat you in around the world, I'd conclude you were a better strategic player than me, but I was actually a more accurate thrower.
I'd love to test your hypothesis. Big Grin   But alas, you're in Bahston and I'm in N'awlins.    But if we should ever meet and toss a few darts I'd be more than willing to buy the Guinness and toss a few of them back too.
(02-14-2018, 12:36 AM)gumbo2176 Wrote:
(02-14-2018, 12:30 AM)SpoonyG Wrote:

I'd love to test your hypothesis. Big Grin   But alas, you're in Bahston and I'm in N'awlins.    But if we should ever meet and toss a few darts I'd be more than willing to buy the Guinness and toss a few of them back too.
Done deal mate! Chances are I'd lose both anyways lol!