Darts disappoinment USA
I guess it really depends on what corner of the USA you live in. Like @LewLew said most of the Dart Boards in my area are Electronic so math wouldn't really be a problem. We play both in my neck of the woods, steel and soft no matter the age.
[Image: ARJSu2G.jpg]
DAYTONA FIRE JP-01JP-02, DF-10, DF-11 & DF-01
Thanks for the replies It was not me but my Thursday league playing partner that visited the US & as his relatives live in St Catherine's near Niagara & the US ones near Buffalo & I guess you could be right in thinking he is a good player perhaps seeing him pick up & win so quickly at cricket but as he said it's only a matter of hitting the #'s you require country & regional differences I guess
Do you mean St Catherines in Canada? I would have thought that there'd be a decent 501 scene there as our Provincials are held there on a semi-regular basis (but that doesn't infer much). I know that here it's predominantly 501, although that may just be me refusing to play cricket...

I've found that if I suggest the Chicago format (501, 301 DIDO and cricket) as a compromise it goes down better.
The 01 games rule in my neck of the woods, although cricket is played but definitely as a 2nd choice.

Match Darts=Cosmo John Part ® 20.4g 

Back ups= Hmmmmm??? ®

And..A few sets of spares .®   Rolleyes
Cheers,
 Ken 

Electronic coin op machines are what has promoted cricket here.  Your can pay $.50 for a game of 501 that lasts 5 rounds or pay the same for a cricket game that if you like getting into point battles may go 15-18 rounds.
(02-13-2018, 11:10 AM)Little al Wrote: A member of our league team paid a visit to his relatives in Canada /USA a keen dartist ( steel tip )he asked if there was any chance of a game he was taken out several times to different venues but was disappointed to find the only game they played was cricket he is a good player & a few games in he was winning after he got the hang of the game having never played it ,after some of the players left he asked the remaining players if they fancied a game of 301/501 either straight in or double in after a couple of games all but 1 of the players excused themselves & left  my friend got the impression they had no interest in playing 501 out games & seemed baffled by the checkout shots the guy that stayed met up a played several nights with my guy saying he didn't realise how interesting 501 could be as the places he frequented never played it My guy is now back home (France) but the guy who played with him E mail each other & the US guy has said if he brings up playing 501 the other players drift away before or after a couple of games & he cannot find anyone to play more than a couple games he is a bit disappointed as he enjoyed his brief foray into 501 The point of this post is why is it US players to a large degree seem to only play cricket? our league team will play any kind of game if it involves " chucking " darts any thoughts welcomed

I would suggest that the majority of UK darters when introduced to pub darts played 301 DI/DO, this was mainly due to there being only 1 board and several players wanting a game. The winner would remain until beaten, the benefits of this were that games were over quickly and the maths wasn't that hard.
If you wanted to play more you had to keep winning and as the element of competitiveness grew, people practiced more and skill levels rose turning the pastime into a sport. People who just wanted a chuck would get to the pub early in the week when its rarely used and play pointless games like cricket and other meaningless silly games like half-it, killer, Shanghai and so on amongst themselves.

The game of 501 singles was rarely played when I started playing because of the time it took and was mostly a doubles game. Perhaps if people stopped for a minute and questioned why all the other numbers are on the boards they might see they've got it all wrong.

The dartboard was designed for 01 and not these meaningless nonsense games. Regrettably countries where such games dominate will never produce an abundance of quality 01 and steel tip players emerging on to the World Stage. You've all missed the boat and soft-tip (another abomination) has added to the nonsense and turned the sport a parlour game again.

INCOMING!!!
Dorian
Son of Merlin

Caerleon - Wales

(Monster "Milkman" - 22.4Gm, Smooth Gold Points 36mm, Yellow Kite Shape Flights 100 micron & Solid Brass Stems)

[Image: 0mbrxgh.png]

My father Merlin, once told me that "You should end up pointing to what you were aiming at when you've released the Dart."

(02-13-2018, 09:58 PM)Dorian Wrote: The dartboard was designed for 01 and not these meaningless nonsense games.

Is that true? I didn't know the board was designed for the purpose of 01.
Anyways my experience has been cricket rules simply because of the math involved in 01. You have to take the time to first learn the nuances of the math, it's not so easy to just pick up and play, especially in a pub.
When my darts group tried 01 the first few times it was a miserable failure, the math between turns interrupted the flow of the game and everyone hated it. We went back to cricket and never played 01 again.
I actually think points around the world is probably the fairest test of pure dart throwing skill.
(02-13-2018, 09:58 PM)Dorian Wrote: The dartboard was designed for 01 and not these meaningless nonsense games. Regrettably countries where such games dominate will never produce an abundance of quality 01 and steel tip players emerging on to the World Stage. You've all missed the boat and soft-tip (another abomination) has added to the nonsense and turned the sport a parlour game again.

I do believe it's math laziness, as I said before, but going on what you said, I'll float another theory (not my theory, so I hope people reading this thread will take that into account when ripping the theory apart).

A buddy of mine from Dallas, who is fond of saying that he has to come all the way to my place (1350 miles northeast) for a game of 501, once suggested that since the expenses for travel to Europe and longterm lodging required to slug it out with the big boys of 501 are so cost-prohibitive, players tend to gravitate towards a a different game (in this case, the abomination that is cricket and the foul obscenity of soft-tip cricket) in the hopes that they can be king of that, sort of a "We suck at European football, but we rock at the American version" thing.  

I'm inclined to think this is hogwash, and I believe the reason we suck at soccer is that truly excelling at soccer in this country will make you a low six figures, not well into seven like baseball, basketball and the NFL can get you, meaning that most of the country's better athletes tend to focus on the bigger pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. However, the theory isn't entirely without merit - how many Americans have had any 501 success overseas? You wouldn't even need all ten fingers to count them, and one of those guys plays for Singapore now. 

But for me, I'm still sticking with math laziness. I live in a country where the majority of people I know still require electronic help to figure out a tip in a restaurant.

(02-13-2018, 10:51 PM)SpoonyG Wrote: I actually think points around the world is probably the fairest test of pure dart throwing skill.

I can understand why cricket is the easier game to pickup but this statement is ridiculous lol. So if that is the game which is the best test for skilll, shouldn't the PDC just abandon 501 and only play points around the world?!?

Also with any game/sport it takes time to learn and perfect. Even people who don't have a whole lot of skill at darts can put a little time and effort in to learn their maths and outs. Say I had never played chess before yet know the basic rules, it would probably take quite a few games before I actually knew what I was doing.
The league in my area on Tuesday nights play about half and half between 01 and Cricket, however, there is Thursday night designated strictly for Cricket league and none for 01 only-----and that sucks.

My experience of playing over 30 years in the deep south sees most players wanting to play Cricket over 01 by about 3-1 when playing pick-up games in venues.

One bar I frequent to play against league players finds us playing the following series. Best of three 301 DI/DO followed by best of 3 Cricket and it a decider is needed 1 game of 501. I've tried to get them to go with best of 3 x 501 but most think it's too long a game. My reply is to play more and get better at it.