Darts disappoinment USA
A member of our league team paid a visit to his relatives in Canada /USA a keen dartist ( steel tip )he asked if there was any chance of a game he was taken out several times to different venues but was disappointed to find the only game they played was cricket he is a good player & a few games in he was winning after he got the hang of the game having never played it ,after some of the players left he asked the remaining players if they fancied a game of 301/501 either straight in or double in after a couple of games all but 1 of the players excused themselves & left  my friend got the impression they had no interest in playing 501 out games & seemed baffled by the checkout shots the guy that stayed met up a played several nights with my guy saying he didn't realise how interesting 501 could be as the places he frequented never played it My guy is now back home (France) but the guy who played with him E mail each other & the US guy has said if he brings up playing 501 the other players drift away before or after a couple of games & he cannot find anyone to play more than a couple games he is a bit disappointed as he enjoyed his brief foray into 501 The point of this post is why is it US players to a large degree seem to only play cricket? our league team will play any kind of game if it involves " chucking " darts any thoughts welcomed
Great question. Not sure about the group he ran into, but in my league we play an equal number of games of 501 and cricket each evening. To be honest, I love both. At the end of the day, as you said, you are throwing darts.

The best guess I have is that most bars have electronic boards now and cricket seems to be the preferred game.
Target Taylor 9 zero soft and steel tip 

Boards: Gladiator 2 with Target Vision lighting system and Gran Board 2 soft tip with Target Corona lighting system. 

I have to agree with Ranger. I my circles we play both equally. Not sure what was going on in that part of the USA/Canada. Maybe they saw how good you was and didn't want any part of it...LOL
[Image: ARJSu2G.jpg]
DAYTONA FIRE JP-01JP-02, DF-10, DF-11 & DF-01
My guess is that most Americans prefer not to do math. This is the country that decided that in addition to the calculator on your phone, you need a tip calculator as well - just try to tell me that's not stupid. 

The last time I was in a bar and tried to teach 501 to strangers who were playing cricket, you could just see their lack of enthusiasm towards the game and their lack of aptitude towards the math. If you're any younger than 50 here, calculators have probably been doing most of your math for a very long time.

I agree with Berlin on the math aspect. Some people have no idea what to do or how to set up their shot, which messes up their flow. You also have to look at it that here cricket is more popular so that is what most prefer to play, whereas overseas its just x01 so obviously that is the preferred game. In my leagues we play cricket, 301 double in/out, 401 double in/out and 501 partners. I enjoy both games. Over the past two seasons I was always put in single cricket, but now I play singles 301 every night. I have gained so much more love for 01. I am pretty good at the doubles, and you can always come back on people.
Matchdarts- 23.3g Ks99dime Madhouse Falcon Customs, 41mm diamond points, tweenie supergrip stems, Harrows Velos flights.
Backups- 23g Shot! Birds of Prey Falcon
25g Hexoset
24g Target Power 8Zero
23g Ks99dime Madhouse Customs
23g Shot! Ronin Makoto
23g Adrian Lewis Pixel Grip
23g Target Daytona Fire 02
23g Dennis Priestley's
22g Cuesoul Black Scorpions
21g Ks99dime Custom
21g Harrows Wolframs
21g Harrows Atomics

For league play (teams) around here it’s equal amount of cricket to 01. There’s also a singles league where it’s only 501.

As far as random people in a bar, if you mention 01 they usually have no idea what it is and once you try explaining it “that’s too much math, let’s play cricket” and the people who constantly play darts really only play cricket as well. Being lazy, and just the easier game to play/score when alcohol is involved seems to be part of it lol. Some of them don’t even want to play points with cricket.

I’ve taught quite a few guys 01 and they enjoy it now and when I’m there, i help a lot with the math so they are willing to play. But majority of the randoms who just want to have fun, associate darts with just cricket
Match darts - 22g Customs
Best 501 - 11 Darts
I’ll also add that when you walk into a bar, 99% of them have the same type of scoreboard

[Image: c0a3e00c4f277d6adb63158c4552b4c1.jpg]

So when people play darts this is what they play. Unless you play in a league or have had someone tell you, they won’t know what 01 is. “Darts” is just cricket for most people who walk into a bar, pick up the bar darts and have a few throws for fun
Match darts - 22g Customs
Best 501 - 11 Darts
A lot (most) of the guys in my Monday night league hate '01. When they practice, they only practice Cricket. I prefer '01, but have been doing well with Cricket also.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- If it don't fit, force it.  If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway.
- If it ain't broke, you might still be able to fix it.

"Maintain a solid 60.  What you do with your other two darts is up to you" -Unknown

My match darts:  24gm Unicorn Phase 2 Purist, short nylon stems, standard Robson Plus flights.
Also, most of the (non-league) people I see playing Cricket only play 'close-out'/no points.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- If it don't fit, force it.  If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway.
- If it ain't broke, you might still be able to fix it.

"Maintain a solid 60.  What you do with your other two darts is up to you" -Unknown

My match darts:  24gm Unicorn Phase 2 Purist, short nylon stems, standard Robson Plus flights.
This is really interesting to read! Living in America but being a Brit I had never heard of cricket really. I am a real beginner in the sense that I have never taken darts too seriously until now. Played in the pubs and such. But I have noticed that most bars here where I live are mostly cricket. It could be a maths thing. But the bars here all have electronic dart boards so there really is no excuse for the math. I personally suck at math but have printed a checkout sheet and put it up next to my dart board while I learn. I also would like to say that almost every tournament flyer I have seen that is taking place near me does include both cricket and 501. Now I have learned how to play cricket I do enjoy it quite a bit but not as much as 501. I feel there is more competitiveness in 501! It is a more exciting game to me. The odd time I get my wife to play she would prefer cricket over 501. But saying that I got her to watch the Darts World Championship this past time and she was hooked! I have never seen her get so hooked on a sport. Even as a beginner I will always try and get people to play 501 with me and try and instill the excitement it can bring into the bars I go to. Again I am a beginner but still as a beginner I feel I have done enough research to be able to spread the love of 501 Smile
Dartboard - The Bandit 
Darts - Harrows Torpedo 23g
Twitter - @thedartslife
I guess it really depends on what corner of the USA you live in. Like @LewLew said most of the Dart Boards in my area are Electronic so math wouldn't really be a problem. We play both in my neck of the woods, steel and soft no matter the age.
[Image: ARJSu2G.jpg]
DAYTONA FIRE JP-01JP-02, DF-10, DF-11 & DF-01
Thanks for the replies It was not me but my Thursday league playing partner that visited the US & as his relatives live in St Catherine's near Niagara & the US ones near Buffalo & I guess you could be right in thinking he is a good player perhaps seeing him pick up & win so quickly at cricket but as he said it's only a matter of hitting the #'s you require country & regional differences I guess
Do you mean St Catherines in Canada? I would have thought that there'd be a decent 501 scene there as our Provincials are held there on a semi-regular basis (but that doesn't infer much). I know that here it's predominantly 501, although that may just be me refusing to play cricket...

I've found that if I suggest the Chicago format (501, 301 DIDO and cricket) as a compromise it goes down better.
The 01 games rule in my neck of the woods, although cricket is played but definitely as a 2nd choice.

Match Darts=Target Darryl Fitton,s® 22g

Back ups= Hmmmmm??? ®

And..A few sets of spares .®   Rolleyes
Cheers,
 Ken 

Electronic coin op machines are what has promoted cricket here.  Your can pay $.50 for a game of 501 that lasts 5 rounds or pay the same for a cricket game that if you like getting into point battles may go 15-18 rounds.