Darts Etiquette - Good stuff
We've always marked our scores before pulling darts so there is no question between the darts in the board and what is written on the board.
Darts is like sex. When it's good, it's great. When it's bad, it's still pretty good.
Yeah, that's really common. If I know someone is a slow scorer (but they're tying their best), I tend to walk up to the board slower so not to put too much pressure on them. Lot of times you'll have darts on the wire..."Take your time and get it right."

My incident above is the first time I've heard someone complain about leaving the darts in the board...he saw it as me "bragging" about my scoring like I was purposely leaving them in to rub it in his nose. Whatever...

The handshake after the match (before or after you pull darts) one that is still up in the air with me. I see both sides of it.

I've had people complain after retrieving darts first because they feel I blew them off/and pulling my darts was more important than acknowledging a good game.

I've never had an opponent say, "Pull your darts first and then we shake" in all my years of league/tournament play.
(11-07-2014, 03:33 PM)Regulatori Wrote: I've never had an opponent say, "Pull your darts first and then we shake" in all my years of league/tournament play.

In my town, that only applies in one bar where the boards are so old and bad that it's a good idea to grab your darts in a hurry.
26's so far this year: I've already lost count. :-)

(11-07-2014, 03:33 PM)Regulatori Wrote: Yeah, that's really common. If I know someone is a slow scorer (but they're tying their best), I tend to walk up to the board slower so not to put too much pressure on them. Lot of times you'll have darts on the wire..."Take your time and get it right."

My incident above is the first time I've heard someone complain about leaving the darts in the board...he saw it as me "bragging" about my scoring like I was purposely leaving them in to rub it in his nose. Whatever...

The handshake after the match (before or after you pull darts) one that is still up in the air with me. I see both sides of it.

I've had people complain after retrieving darts first because they feel I blew them off/and pulling my darts was more important than acknowledging a good game.

I've never had an opponent say, "Pull your darts first and then we shake" in all my years of league/tournament play.

The first time I ventured out for a local LOD tourney, i realized scoring on electronics is different than chalking. I was slow, made mistakes, and even scored on the wrong side of the board. I have since got a dry erase and practice that stuff a lot. I will be better prepared next LOD.

During the course of the game, I wish this wouldn't be taken as an insult. Local league in my area require you chalk, then pull. I think this is a good rule. Sometimes I would go to chalk and realize I had forgotten what I had pulled, if not for this rule. And they don't shake hands here, they prefer to fist bump. I think what I would do at the end (I actually won?) would be a quick fist bump, retrieve, and then a comment on looking forward to matching skills again sometime.

I am a fan of etiquette and manners. I remember as a youth not really seeing the purpose of such things. Now, I think it allows people to be more at ease with each other because certain very simple and basic expectations are met.
[Image: BJ8F7UG.png]

Thunk, thunk, thunk, walk, chalk, pull, turn, walk, turn, repeat...

I think a sportsman is not going to get overly excited, win or lose. I would let the emotion be subtle and matter of fact. The game is what it was. Celebrations are childish and angry people scare me.
[Image: BJ8F7UG.png]

Thunk, thunk, thunk, walk, chalk, pull, turn, walk, turn, repeat...

I don't think it matters when the handshake or fist bump takes place as long as it gets done.
Darts is like sex. When it's good, it's great. When it's bad, it's still pretty good.
(11-03-2013, 01:45 AM)paddydub Wrote: Dont take this the wrong way US members.....
One thing that really bothers me is the marking your score before pulling your darts, anytime i travel south to play, i understand this and have to overcome it, it disrupts my rhythm, especially when you play a predominantly plastic player and he cant count. When they come here and continue to do this, its a kind request first,(please remove your darts then score please) if they fail to take heed, then its, im going to the control desk to request a chalker.......

I definately see how this can slow things down, but if they pull first, and then take forever to count and chalk, they're still slowing things up AND adding the chance that they're wrong, but now the darts are pulled and there's no "proof".
Current Match Setup:

DPC Gun Metal 25g w/ Voks Tornado points.

I find with a few drinks and good (talkative) company, making sure the score is marked correctly before pulling the darts from the board is important. there were a couple nights where, i grabbed my darts, got to the chalk and completely forgot what I had thrown! maybe it's age. maybe it's the alcohol.
Good points made.
Bump....how do you all view this? And are there any other bits of etiquette that would be useful? Considering hitting a local darts venue soon and nervous about it....any advice would be appreciated.
[Image: bIcnxOK.png]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Darts - Beginners 3 things you must do to become a good Player *Saber* 132 56,769 06-03-2019, 04:24 PM
Last Post: jt4527
  Good, affordable set of starter darts. That1Person2 15 8,731 10-03-2015, 08:08 AM
Last Post: Rodney
  Soft Tip Etiquette thpethalK 7 2,486 07-13-2015, 07:48 AM
Last Post: Red